Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2005, 06:04 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Fort Stevens State Park, Oregon

We arrived early yesterday at this lovely park and it's a good thing we did. By bedtime, the park was very full. It's in a lovely wooded setting about one mile or less from a beautiful beach. We have full hookups and our DirecTV satellite and Verizon phone are working to keep us connected. There are 50 camp hosts in this park of 500+ campsites. You can volunteer for one month. Some Oregon parks take reservations but this one does not. It's a very nice park.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 03:10 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Judy. Noted and saved in my files. When do you folks arrive in Minden?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 04:47 PM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We were talking today about arriving on Tuesday but have not contacted the park to see if our space is available a day early. How's the occupancy now? We're excited about getting there. Sounds like the party has already started.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:06 AM   #4
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Most of the Oregon State Parks fill early in the day so you were lucky you got there early. The Oregon coast is a favorite destination for weekender's within 2 or 3 hours drive time. During the week it is somewhat slower paced. Enjoy your trip!
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 05:16 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
You are so right, Don. We got settled in just after lunch and the rigs just kept rolling in until bedtime. It's a little slower during September but during the summer, I'm sure you it's hard to get a space. The beach is very nice, great for walking, and we even noticed several people fishing frm the shoreline closer to the Columbia River. And the bicycling is great.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:26 PM   #6
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
We have found that Oregon has the best Ocean parks we have not visited one in a couple of years. When the Kids were Kids Oregon was our favorite place to camp. Now that joy is not employed any more that might change.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:21 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
The coastline is absolutely beautiful. We have moved south just a little to Cape Lookout State Park which also has a beautiful beach. There was a crowd that showed up to see the sunset, which was beautiful. Something special about this beach is that most of the shells that wash up are actually sand dollars. That's amazing to us.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:39 AM   #8
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We love Cape Lookout for that very reason, the shells wash up on the beach intact. The beaches of the Oregon State Parks on the coast each offer something different. Even the climate is different as you go from the north to the south.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:29 PM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I walked the beach at Cape Lookout early this morning and found two intact starfish. Much to my dismay, one proved to be alive so I tossed him back into the water although I doubt he'll last long. There were hundreds of sand dollars but it seems like the sea gulls were opening them for the tasty morsel inside. Do they do that?
Old 09-28-2005, 04:25 AM   #10
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I agree with toolmanroy. Each beach has something different to offer. Many many years ago in a Galaxy far far away, I tried to bring home a dead star fish. Big mistake, my mom couldn't figure out what the horrible smell was. When she did I was in big trouble! I will always remember that lesson. Now I always return them to the sea dead or alive.

The live sand dollars are great sport for the gulls etc. Farther south you don't find many whole sand dollars. Enjoy the sun sets!
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 03:15 PM   #11
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
without a doubt Oregon has the finest state parks we've ever been in. They are neat, clean and well taken care. Same on Rest Areas.
I've been reading about the MOC rallies, Where and When next year?

We might be able to break Phyllis out of Durance vile (District School Office) and attend
This is the first club of this type I have ever been involved with and at age 63, it's a kick. I have really enjoyed the various forums.
Rick Trent (rickety)
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 03:42 PM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Rick
The May rally will be at Mt. Shasta, CA memorial day weekend. Come on down! We have several coming from Washington.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote