Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2011, 04:51 AM   #1
hikerdoc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10717
Send a message via Yahoo to hikerdoc
New Airlifts are great

Just had Airlifts put on the back of the F250 when taking care of the recalls on the Monty. Pulling it home from the dealership was a new experience. No roller coaster ride when hitting bumps, what a pleasure. If you're contemplating getting airbags, especially if you own a 3/4 ton, my experience so far is positive. Our first big trip is coming up in early April, so we'll see how that goes. FYI to the new to towing, these will NOT increase your truck's GVWR, just betters the ride and levels the vehicle.

hikerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:16 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Agree, Bill. Glad you feel the difference. Enjoy!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:30 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I have been strongly considering some type of air bag system to try to reduce the irritable pounding that our backs take in the dually, loaded or unloaded. Do those who have that type of system see any difference in taking the road jolts out on bumpy roads??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Bingo, Yep.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
I can tell you that between the MorRyde pinbox and the Air Lift bags on my truck (set them at around 60 psi) my truck rode very nicely on our return trip from OK.
Especially on some of the very rough stretches on the I-10 through New Mexico and Arizona, the Monty rode very well behind my truck. My springs are not stock either though (Carli mini pack leafs) so I don't have the heavy overload leaf that yours has. Also helps that I have the Bilstein 5100 shocks (excellent!)
Regardless, I have never heard of anyone who was unhappy with the air bags. The truck sat fairly level; I allowed a small bit of "droop" to compensate for the higher ride of my truck so the Monty would not be nose high. The spring rate felt perfect though...no floaty sensation at all; firm yet not all uncomfortable or jarring.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:27 AM   #6
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

I have been strongly considering some type of air bag system to try to reduce the irritable pounding that our backs take in the dually, loaded or unloaded. Do those who have that type of system see any difference in taking the road jolts out on bumpy roads??
Bingo
I haven't tried them with a trailer on the back yet but unloaded there is a definite improvement with the ride. I have 10 pounds of air in them which is enough to cushion the jolts on the bump roads.

08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Now all I have to do is to wade through all of the various models out there. I am leaning towards Firestone Ride Rites. I would guess that the on-board compressor is a nice added luxury, but not really required??? Anybody out there in MOC land know what model I need for a 2007 Chevy 3500 Classic Dually???
Bingo
Old 03-23-2011, 06:46 AM   #8
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:

Now all I have to do is to wade through all of the various models out there. I am leaning towards Firestone Ride Rites. I would guess that the on-board compressor is a nice added luxury, but not really required??? Anybody out there in MOC land know what model I need for a 2007 Chevy 3500 Classic Dually???
Bingo
2250 is for the late model 2500/3500 HD Chevy. http://www.fsip.com/riderite/

This is what I have in my 2010 2500HD. Easy to install in a couple of hours. I pumped mine up to 25 pounds and let them sit over night to check for leaks and they did have a leak. Turned out to be the right elbow that screws into the airbag. A little teflon tape cured that. So far they have held the air at 10 pounds for a month now with no decrease at all.

An onboard compressor would be nice but I didn't want another gauge mounted in the cab and I won't be needing to change the pressure all that often. A portable 12 volt will work fine for me.

Another adition I got was a T fitting so it fills both bags together. It comes with separate valves but seeing I won't be loading it heavy on either side if I had a slide in camper I opted for the T and then run a single valve out by the licence plate.
08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:13 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
So, are the 2249's for the Classic's??? I have once again attained my usual state of confusion since the web-sites show all kinds of different 3500's for 2007??
Bingo
On edit, I think they are the same (2250's). I finally found a site (anythingtruck.com) that let me put in my exact truck. Price was too high though, now it is time to internet price shop!! Thanks!!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
I installed the Firestone ride rites on our TV. It made a difference when towing. everything is level. had to play with the air pressure a bit and I tow with 45PSI, 10 PSI solo. If I had to do over again I think I would put the fill value behind the fuel door instead by the L/P in the rear bumber.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I got a piece of aluminum and made a manifold with a liquid filled guage and a shielded air ftg. It's installed inside the drivers wheel well. Has worked well for me for almost a year now ... you can see the pressure you want without guessing or getting out the tire guage. Total cost ... about $14. I guess an onboard compressor would be the ultimate, but like Bingo opted not to. I pretty much just leave 9 psi in the bags as it compresses up to 23 psi when hooked to the Montana which is level for my truck. 9 psi empty doesn't really effect the unloaded ride height.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:

Bingo

I too thought an on-board compressor was not really needed, until I towed for awhile. Finally after about a year manually messing with inflating ,and deflating, and of course I could not adjust the pressure while on the move, which I can do now . I added the compressor. If I had to do it over again I would have bought the whole kit, compressor ,gauges, bags etc. It would have saved me a little money. Oh well live and learn.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I have the Firestone Ride Rites and am happy with them. I had mine installed by the same shop that installed my Superglide. The Monty tows great and it does make a good difference when empty (I run them at 12 lbs. each side)
I may put a T on to make the process easier when filling but it's not at the top of my "to do" list.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote