Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2010, 02:34 AM   #1
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Rain blowing in around the slide,..wet carpet

Sopping wet carpet. Now the rig smells like a dead animal. Anyone else have this? We were getting the wind and rain broadside. This has happened twice on our trip down here. We may need to go out and get a dehumidifier. WE've had two ceramic heaters on it - it sure takes a long time to dry out. Should have packed our shop vac.
Sandy

slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:46 AM   #2
KDS MONY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7362
Slewis,, we had the same problem in three of the six corners of our 3 slide SOB when in TX. One of them was from the wiper( I guess that's what you call it) on the gasket not turning out when the slide came out. Putting some slide spray on it and running it in and out solved that one. Another one we fixed by putting sealer along the top edge of the gasket in the corner. The third one we are still fighting with, but hope that sealing it yesterday will solve the problem. Water intrusion is certainly a major problem for RVers, best wishes, Jay and Kathy
KDS MONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:07 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Sandy,

It is my understanding that the seal you see on the outside when the slide is out is just a "wiper" seal. It is supposed to wipe the standing water of the side of the slide when retracting. When the slide is in all the way, you should be able to run your hand around the edge of the framing and feel the rubber seal that butts up against the wall frame when extended. If that seal is not firmly up against the wall, then it may be that the slide needs adjustment to extend a little further.

That being said, is the water on the same side as the refrigerator vents on the outside? If so, it may be a different leak entirely.

Edited: Oh, and although the ceramic heaters are warm, they may not produce the volume of air necessary to dry that area rapidly. Add a fan place on high blowing diretly at the area.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
KDS MONY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7362
Waynem, what we think what the wiper was doing was letting the water run down the outside of the gasket then instead of deflecting outward in was running in along the bottom of the slide and into the bedroom carpet on the floor. Spraying the gasket and turning the wiper outward like it was supposed to be stopped the windblown rain from coming in the slide. The problem seems to be at the bottom at the corner where the two gaskets meet. Without the wind the rain does not come in but with a wind it drives the rain into the corner where it seeps into the RV, just our rather unscientific guess as to what was happening and why turning the wiper seemed to solve the problem, best wishes, Jay and Kathy
KDS MONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
I guess we won't know if these things help until we get another driving rain. I appreciate the info. Wayne, we are back in New Caney again. Wanna do lunch again someday this month?
Old 02-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
KDS MONY,
Use some 303 protectant spray on the wiper seals and they will go in and out on their own. I used to spray the side of the slide with it also. But every now and then I did have to turn them out useing the awning tool, or a long yards stick. I preferred the yard stick because it was wood and less likely to scratch the side.

Sandy,
Yes, let's plan on it sometime after the Houston RV show.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
works for us, Wayne!
Old 02-08-2010, 01:50 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Far be it from me to suggest that these slides leak about everything. Water, Air, Dust..etc. Take a good check of all the slides. Look at the corners where the rubber seals overlap. Look along the bottom and top. Check the drain tube on the fridge. These slides are in no way close to a good fit (any brand) we had some wind gust to 35/40MPH here in Florida last week and candles on the counter blew out....Drafty...who would have thunk..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:59 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
OK, what is a long yard stick?I use the awning rod also. Check the seals behind the slide inner facings when the slides are extended. I have one I've got to adjust, but it has never leaked.(knock on wood) The BR slide had to be re-roofed though.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:29 AM   #10
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
OK, what is a long yard stick?
Good one, Will! Took me a minute.... but I got it. It's still a tad early for me.
We will check the seals and see if they need attention. The wind was gusting at 63 mph,
so it was a very strong hit.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:17 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by slewis

OK, what is a long yard stick?
Good one, Will! Took me a minute.... but I got it. It's still a tad early for me.
We will check the seals and see if they need attention. The wind was gusting at 63 mph,
so it was a very strong hit.
Sandy, winds of that force directly against the slides may have pushed the top of the slide in. Only the weight of the slide holds the top against the seal good. I met some folks here that stayed at Pioneer on the island. He said he had seen his slides push in at least 2" on the top in high winds. They moved over here to Ransom Road RV Park because of the winds.

BTW, where did you get that sort of wind and rain? Did y'all make it down to Rockport? I had to spend some time up at the stick house, and a week in Houston, so I was out of pocket quite a bit last month. Did you try the new RV park in Rockport? If so, how was it?

Old 02-08-2010, 03:30 AM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Alright now! A long yard stick is one that was not broken on the kids butts when they were young! It still measures 36" at the ends (No, not both ways, one end says 1 and the other 36). So whenever I pick up a yard stick around here and it has both of those measurements, it's a "long yard stick!"

So there!
Old 02-08-2010, 06:48 AM   #13
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Alright now! A long yard stick is one that was not broken on the kids butts when they were young! It still measures 36" at the ends (No, not both ways, one end says 1 and the other 36). So whenever I pick up a yard stick around here and it has both of those measurements, it's a "long yard stick!"

So there!
DW was a banker when we lived in the stick house. I remember them having "yard sticks" they gave out. They were 48" long and had some motto on them about going the extra distance for you.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Sandy, winds of that force directly against the slides may have pushed the top of the slide in.
I can attest to that. My chair sits directly across from the entertainment slide. We have seen the top of that slide move in and out in strong, gusty direct winds. We have pictures sitting on the top ledge of that slide. So far, none has fallen off.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #15
campingpappy

M.O.C. #9570
I have been looking through the forum, but I cannot find my exact problem. My 2008 3400RL bedroom slide's one drain looks like the pic below. I got some water in during a recent windy rain. If I compare this drain to the one on the other side, it looks like the drain is too long. Can another 3400RL owner look at the front of their bedroom slide and let me know if my drain channel looks too long. THANKS SO MUCH!!
http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/campingpappy/
campingpappy is offline   Reply With Quote