Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2010, 06:30 AM   #1
TOak
Established Member

M.O.C. #9171
front landing gear not working

I searched for landing gear repair but didn't find anything, so I'm asking this question. What attaches the vertical gear to the vertical shaft in the front landing gear? The gears are turning but the road side leg doesn't move. I parked the rig in Florida and flew to NY for the holidays, so I haven't had time to look into it. When I return to FL I'll pull it apart but I would like to know what I'm getting myself into. Can not find any explodes views of the legs on line. I don't even know who makes the legs. I'm guessing some kind of sheer pin. Any help? Thank all for this great site.

TOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Check out these links, as good as it gets without the system designer visiting your unit.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=39208
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...s=landing,gear
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
TOak
Established Member

M.O.C. #9171
Thanks Pineranch, that was just what I was looking for. Like I thought, the pin probably sheered off. Thanks for the site and the pictures. A big help.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Try this too.
http://www.venturemfgco.com/docs/LG-Specs.pdf
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:17 AM   #5
TOak
Established Member

M.O.C. #9171
Thanks Dieselguy, that helps alot also. Now I know what I'm going to find when I take it apart. Now,if only I can get Santa to bring me hydolic legs......
Old 12-22-2010, 04:06 AM   #6
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Terry,
Before you get too far, check the cross shaft (square tube) shear pins. They are 1/4-20 bolts connecting the motor to the shaft, and shaft to the gears on curbside. Driver side is 1", and curbside is 1 1/2", I think. That'd be simple fix before jumping into the gears. Good luck.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
TOak
Established Member

M.O.C. #9171
the curbside leg goes up and down fine. The gears on the road side are turning but the road side leg doesn't move. Hence, I'm guessing the sheer pin has snaped on the leg gear. I'll be checking all pins when I get back down south. Good way to spend New Years Day.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
On mine this is the cap screw that acts as a shear pin, good to have one on hand. In an emergency, just pull the broken pcs out, stick a short drywall screw in to get you by, tape it with electrical tape so it won't fall out.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:10 AM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TOak

the curbside leg goes up and down fine. The gears on the road side are turning but the road side leg doesn't move. Hence, I'm guessing the sheer pin has snaped on the leg gear. I'll be checking all pins when I get back down south. Good way to spend New Years Day.
Terry,
I feel you are correct and one of three things has happened. [list_to_fix][*] The gears are stripped - Probably the best case.[*] The Spirol Pin on the Lead Drive Shaft has sheared. [*] The Drive Pin on the Jack Screw has sheared.

I feel the teeth on the gears are the weakest link.
Good luck and let us know what you find
Merry Christmas
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:28 AM   #10
eastridges
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9276
There is another possibility that the top of the jack screw has broken off also. This happened to me very soon after I purchased my Montana. It is fixable though. I used a grinder to grind down the threads on the jack screw about one half inch and redrilled the shaft to be able to insert the drive pin and 16T bevel gear. You may have to make some adjustments on the thickness of the shim washer. It took me a full day, but most of that was for scratching my head and wondering how this thing works. I didn't have the specs diagram so think that would have cut a lot of time off the project. Good luck.
eastridges is offline   Reply With Quote