Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
Ken Greenleaf
Established Member

M.O.C. #7903
Campground flooded

Our new 3455SA (2 months old) is stored at Indian Brave Campground in Harmony PA which was flooded with this weeks heavy rains. The water did not get into the interior however did get into the front compartment ( battery area) and the forward belly where tanks are located. We have removed some of the plastic enclosure to permit draining of water & ice & I will probably pull it completely to clean it in the spring. The rear stabilizer motor also was under water but it seems OK. I do have a $500.00 deductable policy & it looks like the clean up etc should be less than that other than my concern about wheels, bearings, brakes etc. which were under water for about 15 hours. The dealer says the brakes & bearings should be just fine but I would like to hear what others might have to say about the situation. Any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. All in all we feel extremely lucky that the water didn't get just a few inches highger.

Ken Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Ken, Absolutely have the brake drums removed and the bearings looked at. The shoes should be ok.The small rubber caps on the end of the axles are dust covers,not seals. I would do it soon.If water got into the bearings,and it sits very long,the bearings and race will be pitted. (been there with a boat trailer) Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ken Greenleaf

Our new 3455SA (2 months old) is stored at Indian Brave Campground in Harmony PA which was flooded with this weeks heavy rains. The water did not get into the interior however did get into the front compartment ( battery area) and the forward belly where tanks are located. We have removed some of the plastic enclosure to permit draining of water & ice & I will probably pull it completely to clean it in the spring. The rear stabilizer motor also was under water but it seems OK. I do have a $500.00 deductable policy & it looks like the clean up etc should be less than that other than my concern about wheels, bearings, brakes etc. which were under water for about 15 hours. The dealer says the brakes & bearings should be just fine but I would like to hear what others might have to say about the situation. Any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. All in all we feel extremely lucky that the water didn't get just a few inches highger.
Ken we were at Indian Brave on Sunday to pick out a lot for 2011.Owner showed us a couple lots that could flood.
We picked one on higher ground.
Hope every thing will be ok

Ken Deiss
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ken,
Sorry to hear about the flooding. Sounds like you're right on top of things. Good luck.
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
First Ken, sounds like it could have been worse...glad it wasn't. Second, you asked for an opinion...there could be all kinds of problems resulting from the water infiltration into your unit just waiting to jump out at you when least expected. $500 would be a small price to pay to have "experts" examine your rig and make repairs as necessary. You will be out $500, but you will have peace of mind that your rig has been properly examined...or course, you need to find a place to have the work done where you believe the work will be done properly. Just my opinion, since you asked. Michael
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:58 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Your dealer is wrong. The hubs are not sealed against water, only dust. I don't know if the water would have hurt the shoes, but I would absoluetely inspect and repack the bearings. I'm not sure I would wait until spring to do it either.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:09 AM   #7
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I agree totaly with Tom. There is no way that I can see no water getting into the bearings. If you do it now then it will be just a matter of taking them out, cleaning them up and repacking with grease. If you wait, then it will rust in there and start to pit and then its changing the race and all. Much simpler to do it now. As far as brake pads I'm not sure of, but at least clean the magnets as they will rust.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:00 AM   #8
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I would also consider pulling the entire belly pan sooner than later, to let it dry completely and to make sure no insulation got wet.
Sorry about the flood.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:52 AM   #9
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
If possible, I would pull the rig out and run it for a few hours to make sure no water has settled into any cavities that could freeze and break something. On a nice sunny day, I would hook it up and take it out on the road for an hour or so to get any captive water out. 50MPH wind driving down the interstate would really help dry things out. My 2 cents....
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:56 AM   #10
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Ken, I am thinking you purchased your unit from Hufnagle and Majors I would have them pick up have them go over the unit. I have nothing but the best to say about them. I would also ask them to store the unit till spring that area could flood again
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:08 AM   #11
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Pull the wheels, wash out any debris that may have gotten in there - how it gets in there I dunno, but I failed to do it on my Jeep after sitting in 2 feet of water and paid the price (actually "sanded" the linings off the shoes"), Oh, and re-pack the bearings of course.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote