Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2010, 07:52 AM   #1
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Dometic RM1350 Side by side refrigerator

I have full timed in my unit the last 18 months. In just the last 10 days the refer is not cooling as previously. Used to be 36 in refer box and hard frozen in freezer. Now performance in refer box has climbed to temp fo nearly 50.

Dometic tells my dealer I need baffles to direct air flow over the fins. No baffles called for in installation guide. Since this is a sudden onset problem seems installation/baffles would not be cause.

It runs same elec and propane. Same with vent covers off as with covers on. I have no slide on a wire inside this refrig. I have no switches inside refer for ambiant temp correction, or anything.

Anyone have a similar problem? What was your resolution?

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
This should be corrected by the warranty. If the installers left something off they should have covered it at installation. Since the manufacturer have no idea where the rig was going to be used any more than you did, the product should have been installed with this consideration.

The problem might not be that and you don't want these additional work-arounds to hide a bigger problem.

Since you've had this rig for 18 months and NOW it's not working right, that sure doesn't sound like just a baffle problem to me. It sounds like it's no longer working, not an airflow problem.

he workarounds for more air flow would just help the fridge to not work as hard and help it last longer but your problem sounds too severe for what you are referencing.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
I recently had refer problems. The first time it was spider webs in the burner tube. Clean out burner tube to see if that helps. The second time the cooling unit went out. With the lower cover off on the outside you can see a large black tube. This tube should feel warm if it working properly. But with it being only 18 months, sound like a dealer fix to me.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
It being a 2006 you are not going to get alot of help from warranty. I replaced the cooling unit on mine it cracked open and lost the coolant. when I put it back together I replaced the one fan with two new ones to move more air across the coils and it cools at a lower setting now. ck and make sure the fan is running when its hot we just replaced a friends in the CG his did the same as yours and the fan would not run. these friges dont like heat. JMHO
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:31 AM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Make sure the thermocouple on the cooling fin has not been moved. Moving it up on the fin will make your unit run colder. If it has been hit by placing food in it and has moved toward the bottom it will make your unit run hotter.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Thanks all. First, I need to change my signature. I have a Keystone Everest 2009, 18 months old. The RM1350 is a side by side dometic. It has not slide thing on a wire. It performs the same on propane as it does on electric.

I agree the the baffles are likely some sort of work around from Dometic so my original instruction manual indicates that baffles is a new approach. I also agree the failure being sudden and the refer having be run constantly (except when towing) for 18 months would indicate some recent part failure. Cooling unit I am afraid, but maybe the thermostat on that turns on the two fans already in the rear of the refer went out.

I am testing today fan and ventilation, in part, by blowing a portable fan up thru the lower refer vent.

Still trying to identify the cause of the problem.

I'll go work on my signature!
Thanks all,
Gene
Old 10-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by genecurp

....It has not slide thing on a wire.....
So, your refrigerator does not have the metal fins inside of the food compartment with a thermistor (metal clip with wires attached to it) that can slide up & down one of the fins?!

Really?

The thermistors are known to go bad as well, resulting in poor cooling performance.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
There is no thermistor on my RM 1350 dometic.

Here is the final word. Keystone paid to have the ventilation fix Dometic demanded. That did no good.

Dometic has agreed to ship an new complete refrigerator and pay 1 hour labor to have it installed. I may have some installation cost in addition.

My patience was challenged but it is working out in the end.

Thanks for everyone's advice.
Gene