Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2010, 05:03 AM   #21
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We run lots of trailers big and small and never had a problem; just make a check for torque after they have been off and bring them up to spec. Ran many trailers with loads up to 25,000 lbs on duals and or singles and never had lug nuts come lose. If they come lose it's because of improper installation when the wheel was taken off and reinstalled, like forgetting to torque, under/ over torquing etc. For good insurance check those lug nuts yourself by using a cross torque seguence on the wheel bolts.

8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #22
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I swapped the tires over to the four new rims at the tire shop. They normally use the impact wrench to 120lbs when mounting rims on the vehicle. I asked them to torque at 50, 75, 100 and 120 since these were new aluminum rims. They did as I asked. I put 25 miles on it and checked them. One side took about 1/8 of a turn each and the other side took 1/4 of a turn each at 120 torque. I will check them at about 75 to 100 miles on the next trip.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #23
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
After having one of the front wheels come off out TV I learned to check them every so often. Maybe not before every trip, but several times a season.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:09 AM   #24
ratfink11
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9683
Had rims swapped out by Keystone for warranty issues and 35 miles from the dealer lost a wheel. Watched the dealer install and tourqed after a wheel was removed. He had no idea of the Keystone procedure for torque! Had not even used it yet!
ratfink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #25
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Speaking of the torque on lug nuts...has anyone ever had their Craftsman torque wrench repaired?
Thanks!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #26
ONERUNNING
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10448
We have only had our 3400RL on the road about four weekend trips so far, since we are new to RVing, and waiting for Pat to retire. However, I'm feel the way several of you do. It's very cheap insurance and doesn't take long to check the torque.
And Weldon, a couple years ago, I took one of my torque wrenches to Sears because I felt it needed to be recalibrated, and they just swapped it out for a new one.
Joe
ONERUNNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:07 AM   #27
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I tow rv's for a transport company out of Goshen, IN. I may have transported your Montana. We are suppose to check the lugs before we leave the yard. Some drivers do, some do not. Most drivers just use the four bar lug wrench. I check all my deliveries with the four bar and the single grunt when tight method. I have transported for ten years and have never found a loose lug nut that caused concern.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:49 AM   #28
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Thunderman

Speaking of the torque on lug nuts...has anyone ever had their Craftsman torque wrench repaired?
Thanks!
Craftsman only warrantees their torque wrenches for 1 year, so unless yours is less than a year old, repairing it will probably cost as much as a new one. In fact, I don't even know if Sears can repair one!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:32 AM   #29
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Thanks Tom S. and One Running for your information. I read that it was possible to have one repaired...yesterday I was told by a Sears employee that it would cost as much to repair as to buy another...just as you said Tom.
Thanks!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:21 AM   #30
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
I just checked ours for proper torque (getting ready to take out of storage tomorrow for our long trip) and all was well, but each tire was between 2 and 3 psi low...always something isn't it????
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:13 AM   #31
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
PSI is a different animal as it directly relates to temperature. Rule of thumb is each 10 degree (F) difference in temperature relates to about 1 PSI pressure difference. If you air the tires at 90 in the heat of the day then check in the morning at 60, a three PSI drop is normal. Keep in mind inflation pressure is cold PSI. My preference is always check pressure in the morning.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
With the alloy/aluminum rims they need to be checked at each 25 to 100 miles after lug nuts have been installed, such as after changing a tire, and continue to be checked until they no longer show any looseness. That's how it was explained to me and I seem to recall that's what it says in the manual and maybe that DVD some of us got with our rigs. After that it's a matter of comfort. For me, I don't need to check them every time we're ready to move but I do occasionally check them simply because they are a threaded parts and therefore it is possible they can loosen. Unlikely, but possible. And it doesn't take long to check them. I don't want to see a wheel come off while tooling down the road and then think "Gee, I should have checked the lug nuts."
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #33
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

With the alloy/aluminum rims they need to be checked at each 25 to 100 miles after lug nuts have been installed, such as after changing a tire, and continue to be checked until they no longer show any looseness. That's how it was explained to me and I seem to recall that's what it says in the manual and maybe that DVD some of us got with our rigs. After that it's a matter of comfort. For me, I don't need to check them every time we're ready to move but I do occasionally check them simply because they are a threaded parts and therefore it is possible they can loosen. Unlikely, but possible. And it doesn't take long to check them. I don't want to see a wheel come off while tooling down the road and then think "Gee, I should have checked the lug nuts."
Could not agree more...Wednesday I checked the torque on our rig's lugs before driving the ten miles to the campground. Monday we take off on our trip north from Florida and just rechecked torque this morning as part of the pre-travel checklist. Excessive? Probably, but as Steve pointed out, it does not take much effort to avoid a serious accident (less than five minutes). With all this checking, have I found a load of loose lug nuts?? Nope...just a couple.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote