Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2008, 04:02 AM   #1
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Toilet not holdng water!

For some reason our toilet seal has stopped working. We have cleaned the seal and put vaseline on the seal and it only works sometimes.
Any suggestions?

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:43 AM   #2
Gary Christy
Established Member

M.O.C. #7469
First thing you can check is the collar between the bowl and the base. There are two screws check to be sure they are snug, caution do not over tighten. If they are already good and snug. Then the gasket needs to be replaced. My did the same thing. New gasket and spring was replaced under warrenty 9-07. It is still ok today. If you replace seal there is a notch on seal that has to fit in place,easly seen. I know first hand had to take mine apart and fix. Service person did not get notch in place causing water to run in floor after a couple of uses and we were away from dealer. Glad to answer any other questions you might have. Gary
Gary Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:25 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave and Teresa, this might be a longshot but it works on ours even when trying to clean the seal doesn't take care of it. It seems little pieces of tissue or other material get caught in the groove, allowing the water to slowly drip out. What works for us is to push the pedal and let it slap back hard three or four times. You'd think that would just pack the residue more tightly into the groove but for some reason it works. We've used this method several times over the past year and a half. Maybe the residue is natural matter and that's why it works.?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:50 AM   #4
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We have used the same method Steve writes about successfully. We were able to use the clean and Vaselene method just this morning but have used the "slapping" method when it has not worked in the past.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:50 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Same as above..One never knows if there will be water in there or not. We have replaced seals..still found no water in bowl on occasion. I am convinced it is microscopic bits of debris that do the deed and slapping and keeping it clean works the best. Sometimes doing that accompanied with muttering and cursing helps...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I had that problem on my toilet but mine was the ball valve type gate not the blade gate. I went to C World and got that coconut base lubercant they sell it stoped the problem for me.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Mine is the Sealand and has the ball type. The manual states to let the pedal release so that the valve "slaps" back into place creating a good seal. However, there is a recall on Sealand and the dealer knows about it. It calls for not only replacing the seal, but the spring that holds the ball closed. It seems the ones that don't work properly have a weak spring. Mine had the kit replacement done by the dealer 4 weeks ago, and I checked 4 days ago and water was still holding in the bowl.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Daggon Wayne, you haven't used the bathroom in four days. Now that is what I call a dry camper extraordinaire!! Ha Ha.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'll stick with the topic of toilets and say that the Toto, and American Standard, here in the stick house hold water well. Short walk from the 42" plasma TV running HD Satellite on the Dish Network. Although there was a storm this evening and I had to watch a pre-recorded movie. Hanna is dry in her hanger with electricity hooked up about 10 miles from here. And - she's still holding her water!!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:18 PM   #10
werhapy
Established Member

M.O.C. #4439
Our Sealand in our '06 did the same thing. We called Sealand and they sent a kit with an 'old design' seal and spring that has been working fine ever since. I installed this without much trouble to save a trip to the dealer. The 'new' seal had a thin rubber seal that would kink as the ball closed. The 'old design' had a thicker rubber seal that does not do this. Hope this helps you.
werhapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:51 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I got the new springpack for our SeaLand last year. I'd called them about another problem and they said we need the new springpack. They sent it free of charge and I installed it. But we still have times the bowl goes dry. Particularly at night. I figured debris is getting caught in there at night when it's dark. Ours also has the ball valve.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote