Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
lost our emergency bedroom window

We almost made it home. As we pulled into our last CG I glanced in the rearview mirror and saw something hanging down from our rig. I got out and walked around to take a look. The entire window had come out and was broken out of the shredded remains of the frame.

We had to have lost it in the last 100 miles or so of our 280 mile trip.

So my question is does anyone have a number to call to get a replacement window? Don't know if I will have to go thru Keystone or can any RV window outfit supply a replacement. It looks like a DIY type job.

Thanks for any info.

HamRad

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:12 PM   #2
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I got a window last month from Kinro who supplies windows for Montana, I picked it up while we were at the fall rally. I don't have a telephone # for their office there, but my invoice has the corporate office # in Texas, 817-483-7791. Your dealer could also order a window for you.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hey Dennis, I gave one to my dealer in K.C. Lifestyles Rv, you can have it.
Contact Sherry there and tell her I talked to you.
I'll get you the number.. (816) 847-1699
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:33 AM   #4
harrykapp
Established Member

M.O.C. #7657
We lost our too Keystone sent us a new one cost $98.00 including shipping. Very easy to install
harrykapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ozz,

Thank you so much for your offer. After noting the different type of window I think we'd better stick with the OEM. It sounds like we would have some trouble getting the double lever type to work in our single lever model. But we do appreciate your thinking of us.

Have safe journey to S. Texas. Have a brew or two for me and see if you can find that cowboy hat person again!

Nailbender and Harrykapp,

Thank you for your info. We will be ordering a replacement window and do the install ourselves. Appreciate your sharing of info.

HamRad
Old 10-18-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You are welcome, my friend.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Ah geeze Dennis... Just when you think you got it made.... Glad to know that you have an easy fix.

Hugs,
Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Dennis,
You've got to close those windows before you leave. lol
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:02 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Charlie,

I agree. Make sure you've got that window shut. But that is not the reason for the window blowing out. If it had been because of not locking it I'm sure we'd have lost it long before we did. I did leave it open once. We made it about 50 miles before we noticed it flopping around. Fortunately that time we were lucky and able to get the window closed and fixed it later.

As we approached the San Luis Obispo area the wind got really strong. I suspect it was as we were making our trip from San Luis to Morro Bay that we lost it. It was at this time that the wind would have created a very strong low pressure zone on the window side of the rig. That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Dennis
Old 10-19-2007, 10:53 AM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I think this is the # for Kinros Tel.# 574-848-9100, I got these from bw2 who just ordered a new escape window from them. Good Luck... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:48 PM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Window update.

Ordered the window. Should be in in about a week or so. Won't hold our breath for that! $122 + shipping etc. Not too bad. Not as good as $98 but not too bad.

Dennis
Old 11-02-2007, 04:20 PM   #12
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
RONNLU(MSP) had theirs damaged when they left the Buellton Rally on the way to Pismo Beach. After That, I started using the really light weight "ties" from the produce dept. to help it stay in the catch mechanism. I only put one twist on the tie, and it will loosen with no effort using the handle.It just holds the handle under the lip of the catch.I also put a small arch in the handle rod to have it spring upward against the latch. DON'T USE ANYTHING THAT WILL HAMPER YOU FROM ESCAPING, Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:31 AM   #13
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
We had this exact experience on our 2955RL somewhere between home and our first stop for the night (Roosevelt State Park, Mississippi). We did NOT hear anything or see anything until we stopped and the glass was entirely shattered.

Here is my comment: the original window had a latch which opened when pushed DOWN. We think that in closing the blind before we left that latch got accidentally pushed down. Deductive reasoning, of course. The new window (purchased from Keystone, installed locally) had a latch which opened when pulled in and UP which we felt was much more secure and prevented the kind of accidental opening which we believe caused the problem in the first place.

Incidentally, we completed that trip of a few weeks by cutting out cardbard and covering it with heavy duty garbage bags. We used the screen as a template. It worked perfectly. When we got home we had plexiglass cut in the same way and used it until the replacement window arrived some time later. In fact, we could have used that plexiglass permanently. We prefered a complete replacement.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:18 AM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
David and Shirley,

Thank you for the information. We ended up getting some foam board and cut it to size and then duct taped it to the window. So far so good. It survived a 150 mile trip and a couple of little rain storms. I like the sound of the plexiglass. I'll bet that would have been a good replacement.

But like you we want a complete replacement.

From now on we will secure the window with a little bungie or a tie of some sort. Don't want to have to deal with this again.

Dennis and Mary Kay
Old 11-05-2007, 06:16 PM   #15
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Dennis - sorry to hear of the window. Xthread is correct, we too had damage to that window coming back from the spring rally. The window shade came down and made contact with the locking lever, pushing it down and unlocking it, and thereafter the road wind little by little allowed the lever to move & the window to open. Now part of our shutdown procedure is to double check the latch and make sure it is locked. By the way, the replacement window is somewhat different and the shade doesn't make contact with the lever anymore.....but we still check it. mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:16 PM   #16
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Just now reading the post. I thought someone had said you'd had trouble after you left Buellton. Did the window actually leave the rig? Ours was completely gone except for the band that holds the glass in. It was wrapped around like a long snake waiting to attack the first unsuspecting person that got too close! I have no idea how much glass I spread along the road somewhere. I was on outside lane so hopefully all the glass went immediately to the side of the road.

So we have ordered a new window. We will try installing ourselves. It seems like a simple installation.

Any way I've sent you and email. Give a call when you get a chance.

Later.... Dennis