Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2007, 04:53 AM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
water heater anode

I think I remember reading in a previous post that one item that should be considered annual maintenance is the replacement of the hot water heater anode. I have a 2007 3400RL. Is this something that is typically owner replaceable? Any pointers or tips on doing it? TIA.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:22 AM   #2
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Yes, it is not hard to accomplish. Toughest part is finding the right size socket (1 1/16") to remove the anode with.

Removing the anode is the preferred way to drain the hotwater heater as a step in winterizing the unit. You need to "inspect" annually but only replace as needed. depending on your use and the quality of the water at the various places you stay the anode should last a year AT THE MINIMUMN. It "May" last 2 or 3 years. If mine is over half gone when I check it I replace it to ensure it will not be used up before my next inspection.

WARNINGS!!!! Make sure your hot water contents have cooled before removing the anode and that you relieved any pressure in the tank by manually opening the relief valve. You do not want to start the job and have hot water spray all over you....falls into the "Bad Day" category.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:47 AM   #3
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Thanks for the help. How big is the anode originally? How small must it be to justify replacement? Do you carry an extra with you, or can you find them readily?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
The size of the anode is a kind of common sense thing as to when to replace. Would you replace it if it was in your camper?? Welllllll, it is your camper...
The main thing to watch out for is the length of the new one you are replacing the old one with, as some are longer than others which results in a couple of threads starting and then you think everything is peachy keen and the threads strip out if the new one is to long. Striping the threads is a no - no. You get to saying words that you aren't suppose to say. Also make sure you get the threads to start straight. You should be able to turn it with your finger when starting for a couple of rounds. Also use teflon tape as a thread sealent. The final tightening is done with the socket as mentioned above.... Oh, by the way, if it is to long, you can saw them off with a hack saw. Don't hurt a thing....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
It is a good idea to flush the tank you can buy a wand at C.W. that works great
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #6
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
While at Camping World and buying a wand to flush the HWH. They have a anode rod thats made of zinc and a pet cock. The zinc ones are supposed to be better and last longer. Thats what I have,either kind will work.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:34 PM   #7
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
DRjjj You hit hte nail on the head. Check it and replace it yearly according to my service guy.
If your a weekend warrior consider pulling the rod out and draining your tank between trips. I drain the tank when we return from lake trips. Nothing stinks worse than water which has sat in the tank Stagnant for two months. ICK!
Good Luck!
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:24 AM   #8
whiptail
Established Member

M.O.C. #7521
I just pulled my anode out and will replace it with the newer petcock type in the spring. The socket size is 1-1/16th.
whiptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:28 AM   #9
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
A person in the parts department of our dealership recommends using the original factory part for as long as possible because the replacment rods don't last as long. But do replace it before it falls apart in your water heater.
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:16 PM   #10
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
I just got on line at CW to order a new anode (just in case I need one, thanks Rich) and the water heater flusher. The reviews on the CW site about the anode that has the petcock were not good. I did not see OEM anodes available at CW. Where is a good source to get them?
Old 10-06-2007, 08:45 AM   #11
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
As a fulltimer I flush our tank and inspect every 6 months. Just picked up our new rods (2) off E-Bay they have different lengths and you can pick up the right one easily. They are also the OEM ones that are for the Suburban. Around 10 bucks a pop including shipping.

Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #12
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
My old timer (30+ years rv'ing) says not to be too quick replacing them. He says they actually work better when they get a little worn out because there is more surface area on a lumpy/bumpy one than a new one. Obviously, if it starts looking like it might break, change it. Just one old guys opinion, but that's what this forum is all about, right? Definitely drain and flush the tank as needed depending on how much you use the unit. If it's going to sit for more than a couple of weeks, drain it.
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote