Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2007, 06:44 AM   #1
mountainmole
Established Member

M.O.C. #4562
Tell Tale Sign???

After the first six weeks I can say, fulltiming is going well. One of the great things about the Moc is you can stay ahead of problems. I hope this is not one. I have noticed in the last 2 days that the toilet door is not closing well. It is no longer square to the opening. The handle side is scraping the jam when it is closed. Additionally the shower door is not closing easliy, another recent developement. My mind flashes on the frame problems some have had and hope this is not a symptom. Any thoughts on what's happening would be appreciated.

mountainmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:58 AM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Are you stationary? What model are you living in?

I talked to Keystone the other day and they said that the broken frame problems were no more.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
How do you level your Monty when setting up?
Could you have possibly twisted the frame by raising one corner higher the the other?
No one jack or stabilizer should be used to get one corner higher than the other.
When leveling front to rear the front jacks must touch ground or blockage at the same time and raise/lower at the same rate.
The rear stabilizers are to be snug and NOT used for lifting.
Anything other than the above can put a twist in the frame causing doors to not operate properly.

For leveling Side to Side blockage should be used under the tire or tires on the low side. Never try to level Side to Side by using the stabilizers or front jacks.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
As Glenn stated ... watch how much pressure you put on the rear stabilizers. If I crank mine a little too aggresive, the bathroom and shower doors fit changes noticably. Just a wild thought ... do you have a tire going flat???
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
mountainmole
Established Member

M.O.C. #4562
Thanks for the input and questions. We have on early 06 3400RL and at this point in time are quite moblie changing sites at 8 times in the last month. Our Monty has had little use since our purchase, it was only 3rd week in August we went full time. Mostly due to reading alot on MOC, I have been very carefull to level properly by making sure both level legs meet the blocks equally. I could be over cranking the rear stabilizers a bit, after this post its off with the flashlight to loosen them a bit. Haven't checked the tire pressure since Saturday, I might wait till tomorrow am to due that. Do your know what years the frame problems we occuring? Thanks for all your help!!
Old 10-02-2007, 04:18 PM   #6
mountainmole
Established Member

M.O.C. #4562
Thanks to Glenn and dieselguy. I lowered the rear stabalizers and its back to normal. You guys are good!!
Old 10-03-2007, 03:37 AM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
mountainmole, most of the frame problems were from 2005 models and older, that is not to say your's will not have a problem. If you really want to check it, pull down the front panel under the bedroom and look for broken welds. Pulling down the panel is not an easy job and especially putting it back up and sealing it is difficult.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #8
mountainmole
Established Member

M.O.C. #4562
Thanks Doug & Sharon. I'll wait a week or so, right now we're back in our ex-hometown of Cascade, ID visiting some friends and the weather forecast is for snow over the weekend. How much time should I allow for the process? Is this something that Keystone will cover if there's a problem?
Old 10-05-2007, 05:52 AM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
mountainmole,

I have noticed the same problem and my solution is by doing a better job of leveling. Getting the bubbles level is the first step, then getting the Monty to match those bubbles is the next step. A level on the back window and one on the hitch is a good place to start for side to side. Try using a 4-foot level on the counters and on the vinyl floor for front to back. When in a park with good blacktop, I take a bit of extra time to check my "set" levels. I then tweak them if necessary.

There are lots of people where level does not matter to them, wish I was that lucky...I'm not.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote