Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2007, 05:53 AM   #1
buschet1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7460
roof protection

Hello all,

This is my first season as a new Montana owner. I have a 2007 3650RK. I have found this forum very informative in regards to general RVing and the Montana unit itself. So here’s my question. I have read in here earlier that it is not a good idea to use a full cover to store my rig over the winter. So I want to make sure that I prepare the Montana for the winter months (I live in Gettysburg PA). I think have a good plan to get it ready. But I confused on which rubber roof product to use to protect the roof and seals around the vents and A/C units. And should I cover the A/C units? I don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so I thought I would ask you guys what you think I should use. Thanks in advance for your advice.

buschet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
For the roof, I use Thetfords Rubber roof conditioner and cleaner. A bottle will last me two full washings including all four slide out roofs. As for covering the a/c unit; I do not, but my coach is stored inside during the winter months. If it was outside I would cover both of my a/c units. This will help keep bugs and critters from making their winter nests inside the unit. It is my opinion, but I believe your are right not to cover your coach with a full cover. I have seen some highly expensive fiberglass and roof repair bills from the damage caused by the cover blowing in the wind.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
I find it worth the expense to find a covered storage area. The Montana is out of the snow, ice and winter weather, as well as the constant sun in the summer.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:58 PM   #4
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Ours sits outside all year long. Snow, ice and winter weather? Whats that? Time go head to AZ.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Our Montana sits out all year long. I hope sometime in the next year that will change, but for now we cover the AC units and our tires when we are not using the Monty. We also use the Thetfors Rubber roof coditioner and cleaner. We used the All purpose wax to protect our siding on then Monty earlier this year. We purchased both at CW. We believe it is important to take care of our investment and it will take care of us for many happy camping days in the future.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:36 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We store ours in Arizona or Flordia and go along with it.When we had to stay in Northern Ohio for the winter months we never coverd anything on any of our campers.I don't see any covered in the dealer lots..Of course it will not hurt to cover whatever you wish to cover. We just wash the roof with dishwash soap..have never done anything else with any of our campers.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Our old Prowler tt had the same type of roof and it sat out in North Idaho winters for 13 years with no cover. I did use a plush broom to remove large accumulations of snow before it would get wet and heavy. Never had a leak or any problem.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote