Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2006, 06:32 PM   #1
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Quartzsite ended with a bang

Sharon and I left our Quartzsite camp bound for Phoenix to see an old friend before we headed back to Vegas tomorrow. On our way into Quartzsite, we suddenly saw an RV doing somersaults in the lane coming towards us about a quarter mile away.

I pulled to the side of the road and headed over to see if I could help. I discovered a class C Jayco on its side, facing in the opposite direction, with pieces and parts spread for about a hundred yards. A man and his wife were moving about in the cab, with no serious injuries apparent at first glance. They were able to get out onto the side (now top) of the rig, and another couple and I helped them off the back. Their rig was a total loss, but there was no fire or major spill.

Evidently a pickup tried to pass them on the shoulder (they were in a no passing zone)or was trying to get on the road from one of the campsites in that area, and something went seriously wrong. The pickup was damaged, and another small sedan was also caught up on the accident. Fortunately, there appeared to be only minor injuries, mostly to the older couple in the sedan. There was nobody else, including pets, in the RV.

The driver of the RV went looking for the pickup driver as soon as he was out of his rig, and I'm glad he didn't find him right away. I hope he didn't contribute to the accident by acting aggressively towards the pickup driver as he was trying to get back on the road.

Big truck or not, I was seconds from being involved in a major accident that would have been a sad end to a wonderful week. It gave me pause, again, to consider how my driving affects others on the road as well as who is in my vehicle.

Maybe I should put the puppies in seatbelts, too, and certainly make sure there's nothing loose that could become a missile.

Bob

firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:43 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Bob, seatbelts for the doggies are a good idea. Greta does not think so, but we do.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:44 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Bob, AMEN to seatbelts for the puppies. Crates, if used, should also be seatbelted down. Those dogs could ALSO become a missle and God forbid, under certain conditions, could break the necks of humans in the truck/unit. Accidents do happen, glad you were not involved but were able to assist those that did. Sure that is not a sight you will forget any time soon.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:00 AM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Bob, it is good to hear that you were not caught up in that accident. I am sorry to read about the others mishap. When we were heading to Quartzsite that same morning a Class A pulled out in front of us from one of the side camping areas a little to fast and we thought he was going to end up on his side and us into the back of him. Defensive driving is a must anymore.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:25 AM   #5
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
We were sure glad you guys had been long gone. If there had been a rig in front of us, they would have been involved too.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:53 AM   #6
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Sharon and Bob ... so glad you guys weren't involved in the accident!!! I once saw a rollover accident as it was happening and it is totally unnerving and not something that's easily forgotten.

Bob ... those people are lucky you were there to help them.

Don't have any experience with pet seatbelts, but it does sound like a good idea.

vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:10 PM   #7
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Bob and Sharon, glad you all are OK.
Our two schnauzers both ride in back seat of tow vehicle with dog seatbelts. They don't mind them as they have always had to have them on. Our cat also rides in middle in back seat,with his seat belt too. We bought the seat belts at a pet store.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:46 PM   #8
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975

This is our animals in their seatbelts.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:30 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dusty, you have a very well trained animal kingdom, specially that cat!

great photo! thanks for sharing!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:25 AM   #10
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Dustytuu,

What beautiful looking Schnauzers. I almost missed your cat, though. Do they ever get into trouble?

Our dogs are always in harnesses, too, but I haven't figured out where to hook them up, yet. The Shi Tzus ride between the two front seats while the Sibe is behind ex-pen panels in the back. Not really enough protection.

Vicki, thanks for the comment. I did what I could, then got out of the paramedics' way. It's amazing how many people stopped to help, but it worried me that things weren't really under control even after the fire and police units got on the scene. Under those circumstances, things can go from bad to worse in a heartbeat.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:15 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wow, I'm glad you and Sharon are ok and were not directly involved. And that no one was seriously injured. What happened when the C driver found the pickup driver?

Bob, you didn't mention what assistance you ended up providing but I would imagine those folks were lucky to have you there and willing to help.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote