Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2006, 08:26 AM   #1
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
San Diego Parks??

We will be going to San Diego shortly and are looking for a reasonable priced campground that will fit our house. So far, prices we see are outrageous. Some of them are $250.00 a day. Now we don't mind paying a little extra for a nice place, but, we will not stay at anything more then $40.00 per night. We plan on staying for about a month and would like to get a rate for that.

Does anyone have suggestions
Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Helen ... We've stayed at Bernardo Shores in Imperial Beach (south of San Diego) and Circle RV in El Cajon (east of San Diego). Both were pricey, but don't remember exact $ amounts. From all of our research we've decided there are no "reasonably" priced private parks in San Diego. I don't know anything about state or county parks though. Maybe someone will come along with some info on those.

Do you have a "Must See/Do" list? There's been a lot of changes since I lived there, but I think I could still point you in the direction of some fun and interesting things to see and do.

Have a wonderful time!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:54 AM   #3
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Helen: We stayed at La Pacifica RV Resort a couple years ago and I don't remember it being all that expensive. It's on San Ysidro Blvd. and was a pretty decent place.
http://www.campingfriend.com/LaPacificaRVResort/
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:19 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks guys, We will check all of these out.

Vicky, you are a dear. I would love to hear all of your suggestions. I know that you and Steve like to do the same things that we do. We will be there for awhile so tell me about the entire area if possible (75 to 80 mile radius). Our next destination is the LA area so don't need anything from around there yet. I think you already have our E-mail address. Thanks, Helen
Old 01-27-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
If you happen to be in the LA area around March 19th, don’t miss the 21st running of the LA Marathon. I’ll be there as a spectator this year to cheer for my buddy’s.

http://www.lamarathon.com/index.php

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:37 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Helen if you can't find anything reasonable in San Diego try Escondido just north of San Diego. We have used a very nice RV park there several times. I think it is Escondido RV Resort. When you get to the LA area you could stay at one of our favorite CG East Shore RV Park in San Dimas just outside of LA. It is right down the street from the LA County Fairgrounds. The KOA across from the Fairgrounds is good also.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:22 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We stayed overnight at Escondido RV Park when we had warranty work at Beaudry the next day. I'll second Sue's comment it is a nice park. My only problem with that one is if you want to go down into the San Diego area very much then you'll spend an awful lot of time in traffic on I-15. Horrible.

The last place we lived in the area was in Poway, just south of Escondido. I-15 was then US 395 and was two lanes each direction. Traffic was bad during rush hour but very reasonable otherwise. Last year when we were out there I found I-15 to be the worst traffic and slowest going in the whole area. And in places it is now seven lanes in each direction!

Somewhere in the I-8 corridor puts you more in the middle of things, whether you are on the west end near the beach or the east end near the mountains. But, to each..

Helen and Bill, I think Vicki emailed you already but she probably only hit the highlights. There are so many things to see and do in that area. I only lived there nine years. She was there from the time she was 10 weeks old until I moved her out at almost 28. We've been back several times to visit her family and the area again.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:44 AM   #8
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
You guys are great. Keep the suggestions coming. Here's our plan.
One month in the San Diego Area where we will scout out things in about an 80 mile circle. Well not really a circle cuz we don't want to land in the Pacific, but you get the picture. Next we will go north toward LA. Problem is, my sister lives in the Foothills and I sure can't find camping near there so will take Sue's advice and try the East Shore. Next will be the Ventura area, and so on. We plan on traveling the coast except for the San Francisco area and want to be in Chico by mid April. You can see, we will have plenty of time for at least a week in each area so any must see's and must do's or where we must stay will be appreciated.

Helen
Old 02-01-2006, 06:19 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Helen
When you get to Ventura you are going to have a hard time finding a CG - the only one is very expensive. Dennis and Mary Kay gave us the address of a nice CG in Santa Paula just east of Ventura. There is also a large park as you go out of Santa Paula to get on the 5 - I don't know the name but it looked nice. No trouble finding parks as you travel north along the coast. In fact there are a couple of new ones. Once you get to the bay area - problems again. When you get that far, let us know your plans and I'll make some suggestions depending on how far inland you are going.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:51 AM   #10
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
The Chula Vista RV Park is a very nice park and not as pricey as Campground on The Bay which I believe is highly over rated. The park in San Dimas is a nice park in some areas especilly over looking the lake and easy access to all areas of LA by freeway. The Village at Pismo Beach is very nice and close to "The Great American Melodrama" a must see show where everyone gets into the act. Also "Jocko's" the best steak and rib place on the west coast. In Morro Bay there is a new RV park "Morro Shores" that is very clean with large RV sites and reasonable. I hope this helps.

Bill DeMeulle
Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 03:13 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The San Dimas park is indeed a very nice park. We drove around in there. We had tried to book a site there a few months in advance and were told they're booked a year in advance. Sigh.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote