Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2019, 07:52 AM   #1
Greyghost
Established Member

M.O.C. #25099
Thermostat issues?

Good morning all, so we have been in our 2018 3791rd for just over two weeks, figuring out how everything works. One issue I have noticed is that when we set our Dometic thermostat to 68 degrees at bedtime on auto, it will work fine, but other times the temp will jump to 90 degrees! Curiously, is this an inherent problem?

Greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:03 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
If you are saying that the thermostat will change its setting, there have been several that noted the new thermostats are sensitive to touch and can be changed by accident. If you are saying that it won't maintain a set temperature in the daytime, welcome to living in a trailer...also known as a cardboard box with minimal insulation values.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:14 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
On most models the thermostat for the furnace is located in the hallway and can be changed by brushing it with your shoulder when passing by. Dometic did have some ones that they replaced the covers on because they were just too sensitive and you might have one of those. Call Dometic customer service and discuss it with them. They usually are easy to work with.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:36 PM   #4
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
The hall/stair well has to be the worst possible location for that gadget. Hot air rises so whoever sits in the RVs back gets chilly while someone in the bedroom roasts.

Other then that little off topic observation gem - I would call Dometic then if no joy, replace the 'stat with a new one. There is also a work around for a better (a Honeywell, IIRC) thermostat on the 'net but you do need to do some minor wiring changes and possibly add a toggle switch.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:47 PM   #5
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyghost View Post
Good morning all, so we have been in our 2018 3791rd for just over two weeks, figuring out how everything works. One issue I have noticed is that when we set our Dometic thermostat to 68 degrees at bedtime on auto, it will work fine, but other times the temp will jump to 90 degrees! Curiously, is this an inherent problem?

You did not mention where you are staying and how cold it is. If its warmer , say the high 20,s or higher and you have electric hook ups IMHO use should use a ceramic heater or 2 to heat the trailer.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:57 PM   #6
Greyghost
Established Member

M.O.C. #25099
So we notice the change early in the morning, usually before we get up, so human interaction. Replacing may be an option, but I was looking for some consistent defects with these thermostats, which seems to be the case. Outside temperatures usually range from upper 20's to low 30's. In short, just comparing this rv to our previous rv; which we lived in for 2 years, regarding furnace/thermostat functions. Will continue to monitor.
Greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:00 AM   #7
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Welcome to the world of cold weather RVing! Sounds like you're experiencing the famous 'set back' problem. All thermostats have this feature where they don't cut on until their a certain number of degrees below where they're set, but cut off at what you set them for. Problem is that our wonderful propane heaters will keep running even when told to stop. They do so in order to cool down the heated exchanger - supposedly not doing this will cause a fire. That means you keep getting more heat pumped into your living space and in an RV, this means another number of degrees heat above where you set the thermostat. This, on top of how heat rises and what's commonly the bedroom gets quite warm.

We typically set our thermostat for 66 to 68 and run one or more catalytic heaters. That way if it gets really cold, the furnace will kick in. This doesn't help keeping the underbelly and basement above freezing though unless you do some careful juggling.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #8
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
If this is the LCD black faced Dometic touch thermostat, there is a free replacement. I emailed Dometic customer support and described the problem and they sent two new faces which fixed the issue. Mine were doing kind of the same thing.
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #9
Ajlivanec

M.O.C. #24723
We had the same issue on our 2018 305RL. Call Dometic - its a known defect. They immediately sent us a new one. Easy to install. Hope this helps.
Ajlivanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:17 AM   #10
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
These stats are hyper sensitive. Sometimes it seems like we just look at ours the wrong way and it changes the setting. One nice warm afternoon this fall with the doors open I notice the furnace running. Checked the stat and it's set to 90. I may call Dometic for an upgrade.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #11
sunshine 1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22947
Thermostat issues

I lost the face plate (cover) on my bedroom thermostat. Must have come off on a bumpy road. I never found it, must have gone under the slide. Where can I get another face plate? Will Dometic send you another? The trailer is a 2019 model, so I hope that is a warranty issue.
sunshine 1 is offline   Reply With Quote