Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2008, 12:06 PM   #221
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Turley,
You had better run up to the Teays Valley exit and fill up, it only went up to $3.99 today....GULP.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:06 PM   #222
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We also are a member of the SKI club.

SKI = Spending Kids Inheritence

Thanks to whoever post that somewhere.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #223
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Grab onto something.......http://kevxml.
windstream.net
/_1_41LTO1039ZDFFZ__wind.main/
apnws/story.htm?kcfg=apart&sin=
D8VDELLG1&qcat=finance&ran=
14035&feed=ap&top=1
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #224
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I guess I will leave the summertime budgeted diesel cost at $5.00 a gallon......for now. Maybe it is time for experimentation, wonder what a mix of diesel and used Mcdonald's french fry oil would do??? Cause hunger pangs when driving????
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #225
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Well Rich & Helen I looked for something to grab on to but I sold everything to pay for my diesel. FYI I did drive past a Phillips 66 that actually dropped his price to 398.9. Maybe a trend?????????
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #226
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
At least we can keep our collective sense of humor.Helen has got 4 days at Disney next week. Net At 4.00 per gallon,that is about 80 gallons of diesel.. The mouse is good..
Old 03-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #227
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I posted that saying "Spending Kids Inheritance". IT WAS NOT MY SAYING but a couple call Bernie and Red is where I heard it. We heard it here in the valley and they do have bumper stickers saying that. I posted it but it is NOT mine. But it fits well though.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #228
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
A bunch of truckers in Texas are planning a "Diesel Protest." KXAS did a story on it Friday night. They are trying to get truckers to call in sick for a week to protest the prices. They say it will only take two days of a "sick in" to make the public feel the pinch. I hope they do it.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:09 PM   #229
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Thanks for the term Hazmic.

As the report stated that was posted,
[/url]
or REPORT

I'm waiting for the bubble to pop. I think it will. Yes we will see the gas guzzlers at the pumps, but I'll bet anything, you won't see them as often. We with our diesels feel the crunch and as has been stated, will stay in one place longer and keep the trips short. The SUV's and other gas guzzlers that America loves so much will, I'll bet, be staying home longer and combining those store runs to one day a week, month, or whatever it takes. We may be dumb, but we are not stupid.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:53 PM   #230
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Seward, Alaska
Monday, March 10 - diesel - $3.90 / gal
Wednesday, March 12 - diesel - $4.06 / gal
Friday, March 14 - diesel - $4.20 / gal
BICYCLE - PRICELESS
Bernie
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:16 AM   #231
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The boycott will not work and will only cause hardship to the consumer of the goods that will not be transported and increase the prices even more because of the shortages caused.Keep in mind that WE with our huge vehicles are among the worst of the fuel guzzlers. The primary cause of high oil prices now is our failing dollar. Demand is down..supply is up.The failing dollar is a issue only our leaders can address.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:31 AM   #232
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Boycotts only hurt the point of sale merchant. Rich is correct as usual in the economics of oil. Today's dollar fell below the value of the Swiss Franc. Oil is sold in dollars, falling dollars drive increases in oil prices to maintain the same amount of profit. I'm en route from Long Beach Ca to Abilene Tx this week and feel the bite but the only option for me to save is not to enjoy my vehicle and thats not gonna happen.

Just wait a few weeks when the nutty liberal states release the summer blend fuels. Supplies will shrink as the remaining refineries tool up for summer production driving costs higher.

Want an immediate price relief? Ask the governments, federal, state, local to freeze their collections on the fuel taxes at the pump for 60 days. In some states that amounts to over 30% of the per gallon price.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:35 AM   #233
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
I don't agree with Rich and I think we need to have some actions/protest by independent truckers and or other groups like Rvers to show
how bad this situation is and how unhappy lots of people are. As for little bid of "the consumers hard ship" I don't think the protest will have any effect, because of the short time of that protest. We have to show that people in this great country can organize and show their
strength. I also don't agree that "WE with our huge vehicles are among the worst of the fuel guzzlers" are the problem. We have a lot of people owning a luxury vehicles which are not fuel friendly either.
Jerzy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:09 AM   #234
bkirk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8193
We'll here is my two cents on the matter. I agree with Jerzy, this has become totally ridiculous and protests and pressure on our government should be taking place. I live in central Ohio ( west of Cols)diesel is currently 3.95 to 4.09 per gal. All you hear about here is the gas prices. The reason we pay more for food and other goods, is due to shipping costs(big trucks that burn diesel) not gas !! Our President and Congess want to stimulate our economy, lower fuel prices so people can spend money instead of burning it !!
bkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:11 AM   #235
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Here's another two cents...boycotts and protests will do no good unless it changes the conventional wisdom in our country to get out of the way of our free market economy. The problem is supply, supply and supply. We make it almost impossible to produce and refine energy in our country...one of the foundations that made this country what it is today.

IMHO, there is a faction in this country that is ecstatic over the high prices at the pumps..those that collect higher and higher tax revenues and those that hate our free market economy and want us to fail. I for one hope for excessive oil company profits so they will have the resources to explore, produce and compete. We need to get out of their collective way.

Unless and until we roll up our sleeves and get back to work to produce, we will be at the mercy of others. Conservation only works to a point...then what...higher and higher prices.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:23 AM   #236
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our trucks do not fall under the "Gas Guzzler" realm because when the law was written there were not that many on the road. however as you can see we do fall within the definition of " gas guzzler" I do not make these things up or offer opinions.. these are facts available to anyone who will take the time to look them up. http://suvs.about.com/od/fueleconomy...gasguzzler.htm

It may also be noted that diesel fuel as well as all fuels , are distilled from the same barrel of oil. The more diesel, heating oil, etc that we demand the less gasoline and other fuel can be obtained from that barrel of oil. It makes little difference what we burn..it is how much oil we demand....How do boycotts affect the consumer. Merchants do not keep large inventories...Inventory is money not making money.Merchants rely on our rapid and efficient transportation system to provide consumer goods..a 3 day inventory is a large inventory. You may note trucks pulling into the local supermarket and malls on a daily bassis.Many of you may have never been to the railroad terminals of any large city where thousands of rail cars come in on a daily bassis to supply the city or the docks a large sea port.If a boycott could stop all if that, and it can't. we would be in total chaos in a very short time and have little effect on the price of fuel.It would , because of reduced supply drive up the price and we need fuel to survive so we can not sustain a meaningful boycott. Protest yes.Let your government leaders know how you are being effected and what you want them to do..have you done that???
Old 03-15-2008, 05:46 AM   #237
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Rich
WHAT LEADERS. Those that are supposed to lead we do NOT trust. This applies from the top down to local and CEO's. Can't trust those that mislead us.Just my opinion and burr under my saddle.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:02 AM   #238
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Remember back years ago when we were having this same issue and the government placed a windfall profit tax on companies and that stopped the problem.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:36 AM   #239
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
And on a lighter note:

Economic Stimulus "Stimulator" Act of 2008

The tax rebates created by the law will be paid to individual U.S. taxpayers during 2008. Most taxpayers will receive a rebate of $600 per person, plus $300 per dependent child under the age of 17. All taxpayers below the income limit will receive a rebate of at least $300 per person. There are other amounts depending on individual circumstances.....HOWEVER

If we spend that money at Wal-Mart, all the money will go to China. If we spend it on gasoline it will all go to the Arabs, and neither will help the American economy. We need to keep that money here in America, so the only way to keep that money here at home is to buy beer, spend it on prostitution or play golf as those are the only businesses still in the U.S.!"

"Your cooperation will be appreciated......"

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:42 AM   #240
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
elliott Spitzer tried what you suggested and look what happened to him :-) All he was doing was to try and stimulate the enonomy...
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote