Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2008, 01:45 AM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Temporary Storage

We are about to retrieve our 2007 3400RL from the dealer after having some warranty work done and place the rig in what I would call "temporary storage". We lived in it full time for 16 months while we built our current (and hopefully last) stick house. We are going to store the rig at a local facility that has a roof and 3 sides. It will be parked on gravel. There is no electricity. We intend to use the rig every 1-2 months for weekend trips, short vacations, etc. My specific question is: what, if anything, do I need to do other than drain all the water from the trailer and turn the battery bypass off. The dealer has assured me that winterizing is not necessary here in South Texas (we are in San Antonio) as long as I drain all the water. Thanks for any advice.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
I'd put something under your tires to get them off the gravel. My habit is to take some weight off the tires by lowering the rear jacks. Also you may want to take your battries home, then you can keep them charged. Another habit of mine is to leave a box of Decon rat poisen in the rig, just in case. One more thing I like to do is leave a roof vent open, when in storage. A piece of duct tape over the furnace grill, to keep critters out is also a good idea. Hope that helps a little.
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:57 AM   #3
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
DRJJ- We live in San Antonio and store our 3475 about 10 miles out IH-10W near Fair Oaks. I have never winterized and never had any problems. I do drain all the tanks--and the low point drains in the basement Service panel to get rid of as much water as possible. There is still water in the water heater but that is insulated--not likely to freeze. Switch off the batteries. We are parked on gravel and had no problems with ants, bugs or rodents--but we don't leave any food in the RV either. Since we are "long timers" so far, I get the bearings serviced once a year--usually Feb or Mar--to prep for next season travels. We have driven about 11,000 miles each year for the past 2 years.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I live a couple hundred miles Southeast of you, in Texas City. If I'm storing I use compressed air to blow water out of the lines and drain the tanks. Even here along the coast we can get freezing temperatures for a couple of days at a time. This year we have not had any, but it does happen. I'm sure SA can get the same thing. Why take a chance and have to make a trip to storage to winterize when you can clear the system in a relatively short time. It's just the way I do it.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote