Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Re: Fumes???

Hey everybody,
I'm sitting here, and I'm noticing the "new trailer" smell, which I don't mind at all, just like the new truck smell. But, my throat is really starting to burn when I swallow...I can tolerate it, but I'm concerned about how it will affect Connor (my Conure parrot). I remember the salesgal telling me that some people have a hard time with the glues and chemicals used in building...but she said with this being a higher end rv, maybe there wouldn't be a problem. Did anyone else go through this? And if so...how long will it last? Thanks!!

Jan

Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Jan
Open your vents and run the FF for a while. I'm allergic to the backing on carpeting (a crude oil derivative) and it only took a couple of days for it to go away. Of course I was so excited to have the Monty after looking at them for 6 yrs. I might have talked myself out of being bothered!
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Agree with Sue and Ed. It is much like a new home, but if you run the FF on slow for as long as you can with a window open, it will help pull many of the fumes out. Also, as you cook, it will help too. I would do a Google search on the bird's nature to see if you can find any thing on it's tolerance.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yeah, I agree. Open some windows and run the fantastic fans. Soon they pull out the gases and you will be more comfortable. I think there are some neutralizer chemicals around, but I don't know their names. Checking with Home depot or a fire recovery or deodorizing service may help lead to something.

Seems like I remember the last time we put new carpet in the stick house, we used a carpet deodorizer from an Olreck store. We sprinkled it on, waited a couple of hours and then vacuumed it up, threw away the vacuum bag and that was the end of it.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:15 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
When we first looked at our Monte, it was closed up, in the dealers lot. It was 98 degrees, we could only spend 3 or 4 minutes in it at a time. I thought that we would not be able to get it because it was so bad.
When we did the walk through the air was on, and it wasn't too bad. After we got it home, with the windows open a little it gradually got better. Really was miserable at first. I can only imagine the damage it did to our lungs, liver and blood...yuck. Barney Rubble never had this trouble.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:06 AM   #6
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Our's is three months old, when we are home we open a window in the bedroom and one in the living room and run the fantastic fan, the smell is getting less troublesome.....Pete
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:33 AM   #7
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
In my older unit Keystone provided a Formaldehyde warning. "Formaldehyde levels in the indoor air can cause eye and respiratory irritation and may aggravate respiratory conditions or allergies."

Usually it just takes time to air out.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:01 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Strange...We never had that problem????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:22 AM   #9
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I never had a problem either.
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:25 AM   #10
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
When we purchased our Mountaineer last May the fumes were terrible. My wife could not spend any time at all in the five due to the off gassing. We live in AZ where it gets extremely hot and that was not helping the situation. Ammonia neutralizes the formaldehyde smell. We placed seveal buckets with a couple of inches of ammonia around the fiver and closed it tight for 24 hours in 100 degree plus heat. We ended up doing this twice and then aired out the fiver. It helped considerably and we have not had problems with fumes since.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:08 AM   #11
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
also bounce sheets help some. Spread some sheets throughout the camper for a day or two.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:08 AM   #12
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Well, the fumes managed to make me quite sick. My throat burns so bad, it feels like the upper respiratory infection I had when I flew to Texas last month. I only got about 2.5 hours sleep, not only because of how bad my throat was getting, but I was petrified what it would do to Connor. So, I got up and did some research on the internet. Sure enough, the formaldahyde in the carpet and the chemicals can kill the birds very quickly. So, I called my friend next door, and we just hung out at her place until it was time to pull out. I left the back sliding windows open all day today while driving, so it's better in here for sure. But, I think it's gonna take a while for me to get rid of these flu symptoms. I'm going to run a really small heater by Connor tonight so she stays warm, and try to keep the furnace heat down. That should help keep the fumes low. When I did the PDI, it was November and cold. But they had my trailer inside a garage, so the heat wasn't on other than when he showed me how to work the thermostat. I'll tell ya, if this had killed my kid...heads would have rolled for sure!!!

We ended up not getting the snow as expected in Lexington KY, but there was a sheet of ice coating the trailer and my truck. We got outta Dodge (tee hee), and now here I sit in a balmy 43 degrees...LOL There were times the rain was so intense today, we could hardly see. It gets stressful driving in that stuff hour after hour, so we pulled into a KOA for the night. It's at exit 20 off I-75 in Cleveland, TN outside Chattanooga.

I just got settled in...and actually got to dewinterize the trailer...so I'm on full hookup. All these first time things...kind of fun...:-)

Anyway, time for a nice hot shower, and dreams of warm, tropical breezes...LOL Take care all.

Jan (the brats mom)
Old 01-23-2007, 02:45 AM   #13
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
What's the latest on the fumes, flu symptoms, and the animals reactions ??
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:06 AM   #14
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Ours wasn't too bad. I think because we bought ours off the lot and the dealership (NorthGate RV in Ringgold, GA-the greatest) would always open everything up everyday, so ours had been aired out pretty good. Another one (SOB) we looked at up at Shipps in Chatanooga, the smell was so bad, my eyes were burning after about 2 minutes! I said something to the salesman about it and he looked at me with his eyes watering and said he didn't know what I was talking about! [] I'm thinking to myself at this time, I'm pretty sure you know nothing about RV's and why am I even talking to you! Anyway, just air it out as much as you can, as fast as you can.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:12 PM   #15
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Well, the fumes are still in here, but not nearly as bad as they were. And since we are now in warmer weather, I shouldn't need the furnace. I'm still dealing with the cold/flu symptoms so badly I think I must HAVE it now. Connor is doing better, and managed to lay an egg last night. Just what I need on top of everything else thats happening...LOL
Old 01-24-2007, 04:45 AM   #16
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Do you fry those eggs ??
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:50 AM   #17
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
LMAO...No, but I keep threatening to. I believe she's going to lay another one tonight. I'm in the middle of doing a series of hormone injections on her to try and get her to stop laying them. But, my vet says this breed of conure can be quite hard headed and stubborn, so it can take several injections before they stop. I tell her I can go to the store for eggs, but she ain't listenin'. They're unbelievably large eggs for such a small bird, so they could make a good sized omelet...LOL

Jan