Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2006, 06:42 AM   #1
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Timbrens vs. Airbags...which is smoother?

Has anyone gone from Timbrens to air bags using with the same tow set up? If so, did the airbags provide a smoother ride in the tow vehicle? I'm happy with the load carrying capacity of the Timbrens but the ride in the truck can be quite harsh at times when towing. I just recently put a Trailair hitch on the fiver but wondering if air bags on the truck would also help.

AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:02 PM   #2
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
I went from Timbrens to Airbags last month. The problem I had was a harsh ride when NOT towing. I found that with the hitch, some firewood and a couple of adults in the back seat the timbrens had no clearance for the axle to travel up when I hit a bump. There is some difference when towing, I feel the airbags are a little softer ride than the Timbrens when loaded.
Rick.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:04 PM   #3
sheiba1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5291
Timbrens are like adding overload springs in that they do nothing till a load is applied. By that time the headlights are slightly elevated and I would get a lot of flashing lights coming the other way. With the air bags you remain level, there is a difference in ride performance a little more bounce in the rear empty but not uncomfortable. It would be nice to find a couple of friends with either so you could feel the difference before buying, personally I will stick with the air bags.

Hope this helps
Rich and Marita
sheiba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Before installing the air bags I had looked around as you are. My findings were pretty much what has already been stated. The air bags do keep me on the level with a slight air pressure adjustment and I have found the ride, both loaded and unloaded, to be comfortable. Although I have never had a ride in a truck with Timbrens, I can't imagine the Timbrens being better. If I had to do it all over again I would stay with the Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:28 PM   #5
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
I did the same as Glenn. I decided to go with the Firestone Ride-Rite with the onboard dual control. It's been a great investment.
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:29 AM   #6
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
If you are using a Ford tv you need to use Firestone air bags and a GM tv use airride. Air bags are the best way to go, especially if you use the onboard compressor. You can adjust the ride as you drive. Firestone is the only manufactuer to make an airbag that fits between the frame and axle for a Ford. All other bags mount on the outside of the frame.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:53 AM   #7
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Could someone give an estimated price of airbags and installation?
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:22 PM   #8
sheiba1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5291
If I remember correctly it was about $500.00 with air bags, on board compressor & gauges. Spent about 2 hrs installing them.

Rich
sheiba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:10 AM   #9
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I spent 220. with my own install for the AirLift Springs on my GMC. No onboard compressor, as I air them up when I hitch, and air them down when I unhitch. GM does fit between the fram and the axle, bolts on where the current bumpstops are and bottom side connects to an axle plate, on top of the rear springs. 2 hour install, and then play around with them.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote