Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2006, 11:56 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
This is Nice!

I have been away for a few days and come back to find this new area. I sort of feel at home here.

In about 24-30 months we will be long timing LT. And this is different than FT because we need to maintain the Monty and the stick home.

At this point in our lives it seems to the wife and I that we want to travel extensively, but always have a permanent place to come back to. We would come back and regroup, refocus, and maybe do nothing! As much as the FT's enjoy their lifestyle, Nancy and I feel that LT is just the thing for us.

I hope in this forum we can share our problems and solutions and just enjoy each others company.

And yes we ALL are Monty owners!

Happy Holidays!

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:44 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
My hubby has the same thought as you, Bob. He needs to have a place where he can come home. He's also retired military. Wonder if that factors into our choice? Thanks for suggesting this category. I think many folks will identify with these topics.

I must say that sometimes coming home has been an emotional thing for us. It can be a real downer. So maybe the lack of an emotional roller coaster is one advantage of full-timing. When we're working at the house we jokingly, and not so jokingly, moan and groan about wanting to be on the road.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:00 AM   #3
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Judy...you may have something there...Tom is also retired USAF. LOL We are also enjoying this section of the forum. Fortunately many years ago we built a vacation chalet in the mountains of WV (which is where I was raised). When we retired we sold the big house in Atlanta and kept the vacation place for a summer home and a place to have family get togethers since our children are in CT and OH. Sold most of our furniture as the summer place was already furnished. Was nice to have a place to store photos and family heirlooms we wanted to hold on to. We are claiming TN as our domicile and if time comes we can no longer travel we may settle in east TN. So far for year round climate, friendliness of the people, location, etc...East TN is still on the top of our list. However we hope to be traveling in our Montana for many years ahead.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:05 AM   #4
Bob and Sheri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #347
This is an awesome place! Just what I was looking for. Thank you so much for starting it up. We plan to do a lot of longtiming before deciding if fulltimiming is right for us. I have learned so much already!!!
Bob and Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:49 AM   #5
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Bob,
you said exactly what Shari & I feel. We want to travel extensively but still feel the need to have the permanent home. I can't believe how blessed we are that our dream is coming true. We retire in March and will move to Prescott AZ where we'll have a stick house. We'll be able to take several long trips each year and lots of short ones in the Southwest. Work just a little, play a lot!
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:45 AM   #6
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
The wife and I agree about this link. We will be long timers in a couple of years. She just retired, and I will be in a short two or three myself. Merry Christmas to all!
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:19 PM   #7
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Hope you all don't mind if I jump in here. We are soon to be Mountaineer owners and are thinking of trying snowbirding next year. We have just started to think about it and do a little research. Does anyone have a thought about Conroe, TX as a destination. I picked up on it on the FT forum. Our plans include selling off the livestock(we have a 60A farm with two houses one of which is rented to a son). Renting the house to another son with our bedroom reserved for us. Getting set up to pay bills and recieve mail. We don't feel that we will go full time because of close ties and quite a bit of work to do maintaining the farm in the summer.
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:33 PM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Conroe is in a nice area of Texas but not as far south as some of the shorts and sandals fanatic like to go. I think Lake Conroe is a good place for bass fishing.

My brother and his wife just started the reverse snowbirding thing, spending the winter in Arizona and the summer in Illinois where they will have a small apartment in the basement of their son's house (their former house). Sounds like a similar plan to the one you're thinking about and I think it will work well for them. Have fun as you plan your future adventure.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:44 AM   #9
Gpa_Dick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5960
Judy, there is a Thousand Trails Preserve at Lake Conroe which we will be spending some time in next year. Our daughter and family live in The Woodlands not far from there. There are a lot of big catfish in that lake as well.

We will start LT early next year and we are really looking forward to it. Not sure what to do with the house yet though. We don't want to leave the house unattended while we are gone 6 to 7 months of the year. So, we are hoping we can find some family or college kids to stay there and keep it occupied.

And I ditto the others comments thanking MOC for starting this section of the forum.

-Dick
Gpa_Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:57 AM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Well, a daughter and some grandchildren would certainly be a draw to Lake Conroe for me. The winters should be mild, if not warm. We have let our house sit empty for over five months on 2 or 3 trips and it is fine, or has been so far. We have our daughter walk through the house once a month or so which is a requirement for the insurance company.