Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2006, 08:46 AM   #61
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
As usual Dave you will have a lot of help here with GPS. I started out routing on routes I was familiar with so I could learn the tricks. I learn something new everytime I use it.
Guess there is something to be said for being an only child. I hope Cheryl is able to reconcile with her brother. Even though my parents did not die close in time a lot of the stuff I'm dealing with are my Dad's things because Mother did not do anything with them after he died. And of course a lot of it wqs "theirs". I have four daughters and three nephews I have to consider also along with grandchildren. I think all of us that are full timing or about to full time are doing our children a favor as there won't be a lot for them to get rid of when we pass.
Happy trails..................................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:04 PM   #62
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Very good point, Sue!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:27 PM   #63
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Dave - did you hear anything about your 3400 today?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:41 PM   #64
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Yes I did, Larry. It was out of the plant early today and it was supposed to be picked up by a Town & Country contract hauler this afternoon or tonight (2 hr haul). Cheryl and I are going down on Thu (20th). Leave home at 7 AM, arrive at ~1 PM (~5 hr drive). PDI that afternoon. We will stay overnight on the lot w/ full hookups. Then, after any adjustments, we are heading for home - although we will then "officially" be "homeless". This, of course, is the best thing that has ever happened to us in our lives... Regardless of what some of our family thinks...

It is exhilarating!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:39 AM   #65
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Well, we made our trek to Michigan from Florida (and side trips),using our new MS S&T GPS System along with the LapTopMount and thought I'd give a short update. This is an awesome system. Everything worked great, although there were a few minor perturbations - primarily Operator error though. The system was easy to use, but the more I play around with it the more proficient you become.

Basically I went through the tutorial a few times to become familiar and the planned out my first trip. The trip is then saved " save as" waiting for you to put it into action. We were quite surprised to find a number of campsites had no directions posted. The S&T worked great as the directions took us right to the sign in office.

Since then we have been on several side trips with great results. We found that we often don't even need an address, just the name such as campsite or airport and then you select from the usually various options that appear.

That's it for now will keep you posted as we gain more experience.
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:25 PM   #66
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Sounds great with the MS S&T. Ive been watching ebay this week for one. If I dont get one bought before Friday Best Buy has them on sale for 75.00.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:43 AM   #67
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
JSMITFL,
Sounds like a great price. A couple things you might check for. What type of GPS is included and is it 2006 version w/voice response? The one I purchased has a GPS WAAS receiver w/12 satellites available. Typically it picks up on 6-8 of them and provides great reception. I purchased mine from DELUO electronics on line for $89 plus shipping ~ $100 total. I had a minor problem when loading the software and their free technical response was super.
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #68
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Thanks for the info. I saw the DELUO GPS being sold with some units. Wasn't sure they were any good. The ones we've been looking at are the microsoft unit.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:39 PM   #69
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sue,
When are we getting together again???? I think it is past time!!!!

Steve,
I do have an open mind when it comes to tow vehicles, but I just can't seem to even think about owning anything but a GM. Maybe in time...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:24 AM   #70
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave
We are in Flagstaff - come on over! Have you made your reservations for Mt. Shasta yet???
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:13 PM   #71
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I started by setting up an inverter in my TV and using it to run a notebook with a couple GPS programs. I did like the display, but it was too large and got in the way. For those that have wireless internet on the road, I can see this is a great way to go.
I eventually picked up the Nuvi 350 made by Garmin because it can fit in your pocket, and you can take it with traveling other than rv trips.
It was recently voted number one in the portable units as a travel companion. It also has a book player as well as an mp3 player.
We flew down to Florida last winter and rented a car for travel - this unit took us all over the state without getting lost.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:42 AM   #72
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
I was just researching Microsoft Streets & Trips 2006 and found that Amazon.com is offering it for 24.99 after a $10 rebate. Sounds like a good deal - just thought I'd share it here as we aren't ready to buy yet.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...OBSTS?v=glance

Jo-Anna
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:00 PM   #73
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jsmitfl

Thanks for the info. I saw the DELUO GPS being sold with some units. Wasn't sure they were any good. The ones we've been looking at are the microsoft unit.
Awhile back I mentioned I don't think the tub that came with my S&T 2006 is a Delous. Today I finally remembered to check. Mine is a Pharos.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:40 AM   #74
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
All the GPS software packages do pretty much the same thing.We have been using the Garmain GPS-18 unit with City navigator North American for about three years and just upgraded to the latest version.It seems that one software package will do something that the other won't.We like the loud voice prompts on the Garmin..To me the issue is user friendly software. We tried S&T and found it to be a excellent program but in my opinion more complicated to use that it needs to be.Of course once you learn to use any of the software it becomes easy..to you.. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them..

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:55 PM   #75
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We use the Magellan Roadmate 360, which is small, portable unit. It has voice directions which has proven very helpful in unfamilar areas where the freeway goes 90 different directions. When we got it and the female voice started give directions, Bob said, "Oh, great. Now I'll have two women telling me where to go!" Seriously, though, we really like the unit. And, I know some woman is always keeping Bob in line!!!
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:17 AM   #76
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
We use the garmin 2720 and works fine.

Darrell&Pam
06 3670
06 F350 Lariet P.S.D. C.C. DRW.
Husky 16k glider
Huntly-Yorkie
Zachary,La.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:12 AM   #77
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
We use the Lowrance Iway 500c. It has a 5" screen and gives verbal directions if you want. I liked the Lowrance because of the bigger screen. We have ours mounted in the center console down below the dash so we use an amplified external antenna with it to get good satelite reception. So far it has worked great.

Me, "outnumbered" by three red heads...my dear wife
& 2 DD's, plus Sam & Taylor the yellow camping labs.
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4
8.1L big block/Allison
06 Mountaineer 319BHD w/Trailair Pin Box
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote