Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2006, 05:19 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Curt..as as with Dear hunter I also have 4 bolts on my bedsaver because the holes lined up Ok.It depends on the brand of hitch I guess. But Blue Ox assures that 2 bolts are OK..They must be real hard steel.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:29 AM   #22
cs413
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3354
I agree. That's the least I would do also. It must be heavier steel than it looks because it takes a pretty good shock if the pin slips out of the hitch into the saver. It seems like the sides would buckle. I'm glad it doesn't - pretty cheap preventive insurance. Actually I can't see how it happens in the first place because I'm pretty careful hooking up, I'm a little paranoid about things like that and do double and triple checks, but I have been known to make a dumb mistake or two, like backing into the pinbox with the tailgate up. That was a real nice dent. My father-in-law has a Cardinal 5er and I asked him if he ever had the pin come out of the hitch and he said no, BUT in his travels he has talked with others that have. They said it seems that some "kids" favorite thing to do is release the slide bar when we are stopped for a break or eating and if you don't notice it getting back in the truck - when you take off the pin ends up sitting in the bed of the truck. It's a shame to think people will stoop that low. So beware. I bought a lock for the safety catch on the slide bar so that cannot happen.
Be safe,
Curt
cs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:39 AM   #23
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
BLUE OX - Save's a lot of heart ache. Best Insurance we ever bought. One payment and NO MORE but it just keeps on protecting... Thats what I call great Insurance. I agree with Glen, Judy Richard and all the rest. It is one of the easyest installations, a torque wrench and two MAYBE three glasses of refreshments, and of course someone standing by to say ATTA BOY..
SAFE TRAVELS John H
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:36 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am sure it will vary a bit with the different hitches but mine slips out of the hitch and drops into the bedsaver at nearly a straight line. Remember that the hitch pin itself sits lower in the hitch.That is hard to see in the pictures. When I look at the hitch pin, (the part that the clamps go around) and bedsaver when hooked up it appears to be a straight line shot. For testing I just pulled the locking handle and drove the truck, very gently, with the landing gear up about 2 inches, away from the hitch..it just slide right into the bedsaver..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:07 AM   #25
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
I have a bedsaver and love it[blue ox $175.00] it sits at a height about 1/2 inch lower than 5th wheel and yes you may have to raise or lower depending on how you set your montana to get her level.
as a truck driver I know a moment of "forgetfullness" or getting out of your routine for post and pretrip can cause $$ problems.
I forgot to add when you pull out from 5th you must go slow cause you may hit bedsaver , so just get out and raise it a hair up.

GET ONE IT'LL MAKE YOPU HAPPY
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:23 PM   #26
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
That's it. I am going to have to quit coming to MOC. You guys are costing me too much money. After reading this forum, I ordered the Blue Ox bed saver. Thought I would never need one but $180 is a lot less than my deductible and as I get a little older it seems that I forget some.

http://i2.tinypic.com/x4emv5.jpg[/IMG]
Bruce & Janette
06 2955RL
04 F350 Lariat,6.0,4X4,CCab
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:28 PM   #27
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Bruce, if you spend $$ as a result of being on the forum, I recommend you DO NOT go to a rally! Kidding, of course, but it's a very expensive adventure. You pick up sooooo many great ideas at a rally.

Judy
http://spaces.msn.com/bamatravelers/
http://bamatravelers.blogspot.com
Traveling with Glen and Greta in our 2004 Dodge dually and Montana 3380 RL

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:32 AM   #28
NASCARon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4082
I have to throw my 2 cents worth. I have a bedsaver... bought it last year from RVUpgrades for $148.00 plus shipping. I have never dropped my fifth wheel but I am just the kind of guy to get preoccupied and do something stupid. I installed it myself... and have 3 bolts on each side since the fourth hole didn't line up. For all those who think the sides aren't sturdy enough... my bedsaver sides are 1/4 inch steel about 6 inches wide and about 24 inches long. Holds my pin weight of 2500 lbs no problem. I have to be careful hitching and unhitching so I don't hit it but who cares... good trade for the peace of mind.

God Bless
Ron, Tina & Sophie (The Mutt)
A Couple Saved by Grace
Full-timers starting June 2007

2001 Keystone Montana 3670RL
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LT, D/A, DRW, CC
Jordan 2020 Ultima, Reese 16K Kwik-Slide
NASCARon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:36 AM   #29
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
Ed this is the cheapest insurance you can get. We just got our truck back yesterday and the Monty back today. While they were in the shops to be repaired from "dropping" $6058 for the truck and $263 for the Monty I figure the $167 for a bed saver is really a good deal. Just wish we had bought the Blue Ox before. It does not interfere with hitching up at all. Used it the first time this morning when we picked up the trailer. Don't even know it is there. Installation was extremely easy. Good Luck

2006 Ford 250 Super Duty diesel & 2006 3400 RL
JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:30 PM   #30
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
Jim & Julie
Sorry to hear about your mishap. Looks like you have a nice rig. I hope the repairs were done correctly. I guess you can relate to the gut wrenching feel one gets when you first here the 5er bouncing and crushing the truck bed.

Looks like our truck may be in the shop another week. The new bed was damaged so the shop owner rejected it. The second one arrived today and is behind 4 other vehicles at the spray booth. The UPS man dropped off the bed saver today. The dicor wireless motor control for the front jacks is scheduled to be delivered this Friday.

(2005 RAM 3500 CTD) 4X4, SRW, SLT, QC, 48RE, Trailer Tow Group, Mag-Hytec Covers, Polished PML Covers, aFe Stage 2 Filter, ATS Air Intake, Power Pup, FASS 150, DiPrical Gages, 24K Husky Hitch, Grover Horns, Firestone Air Bags, Prodigy Controller, Magellan 700

(2006 MONTANA 3685Fl) Four Slides, Fireplace, Artic Insulation, 50amp autoformer, Washer/Dryer, 2 Fantastic Fans, Ladder Bike Rack, Demco Glide Ride Pin Box, Blue Ox Bed Saver, RotoChoks, Sun Buster Wheel Covers.

[IMG]
[/IMG]
Bighorn is offline   Reply With Quote