Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #21
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
As I wrote earlier, that route is one of the more expensive ones available.

Here is the page from the BC Ferry rate manual.
Click image for larger version

Name:	MOC - Vancover Ferry Rate.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	961

Reference: http://www.bcferries.com/files/fares.../BCF_Fares.pdf Page 4

It appears the RV and truck will cost about $317.50 ($57.50 for 20' + $6.50 per foot for anything over - in your case 40' or $260) plus passenger fees. ($17.20 each). Be aware they will measure the entire length front to rear, so front racks or a rear rack or ladder with chairs or stepladder all count. Of course this is in Canadian money each way.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #22
Ragtacker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17932
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermanden View Post
Ragtacker,

Just barely got my reservation in last night for Living Forest for June 16th! So are you saying it will be $600 Canadian total for taking the ferry two times, or 600 each way? That is about $500 US dollars! Yikes!! Yes we will take the Duke Ferry both ways, and yes we will be staying in Chase BC at Cottonwood Cove RV Resort at lake Shuswap, then on to Banff and hopefully staying at Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court, but can't make reservations for June for a few more days. What sites in Victoria are a must see! Thanks
No 5-6 hundred round trip
Ragtacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:10 PM   #23
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Based on Carl's BC Ferry sheet, I calculate it will be $556 US dollars round trip just to get my 5th wheel on the island and then back off! Wow we will still do it, but I'll bet this would be a huge surprise if we had not asked you or checked before we went! Since this trip will be at a premium, what are some do not miss items in Victoria, or on Vancouver Island for that matter? Thanks for your help
Old 01-07-2018, 03:00 PM   #24
Ragtacker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17932
Theres lots to see but it all depends on what you like to do. Butchart Gardens is the biggest local or tourist spot to see even if you arn`t a gardener its something else. Whale watching, Provincial Museum, guided horse and buggy tour through downtown and the waterfront, just a stroll through downtown is beautiful, this is in Victoria. If you want to see Long beach which is another federal park its spectacular but a few hour drive from Living Forest. When are you here?
Old 01-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #25
Ragtacker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17932
I just checked and boy if you are a car guy and my bet is you are judging by your pic theres a car show on Sunday the 17th 1/2 north in Qualicum Beach. I will be there with my car
Old 01-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #26
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
We will be staying there the nights of June 16th, 17th, and 18th, and leaving the island on the 19th. I doubt very seriously that my wife would let me go to a car show, especially since we are visiting an island we have never been to, and the Ferry is going to cost $556! :-) What car will you be showing?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8552b.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	963  
Old 01-07-2018, 04:04 PM   #27
Ragtacker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17932
Its a 68 dart
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	30E23CD1-1025-4842-80C5-DDF1E35B5604.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	965  
Old 01-07-2018, 04:46 PM   #28
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Nice!! :-) Any mods or is strictly stock. Are those original wheels?
Old 01-07-2018, 05:16 PM   #29
Ragtacker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17932
I bought it 2 years ago nothing but the body and a block. The body was beautiful, couple of inperfections, nothing I could not fix but the rest was a learning experience to say the least. The motor is a 360 60 over and chrome everything. New trans, new 8 3/4, new interior(my work) completely rewired, the rims are original Cragars I picked up from a fellow on the mainland. Its had everything done mostly by me except the body, not a frome of but it didnt need that. It goes like a scared rabbit, I`ll stop at Living Forest if I am not in a huge convoy of cars heading home on the 17th. We usually travel together in case of problems mechanically lol
Old 01-07-2018, 06:26 PM   #30
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Ragtacker, I sent you a private message.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:30 PM   #31
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
The Port Angeles ferry is slightly cheaper than the noted prices above. Also, you can go from Sydney to Anacortes, Wa on a Washington state ferry. It's normal price is higher, but they had a half price deal 6-7 years ago for a month. Look around a week or two before you go and maybe they will do it again.
And boy have the prices gone up. I think I paid around $175 each way back then.
Whew!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:33 PM   #32
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Thanks, Tom we will check it out. We also plan on meeting up with Ragtacker in Victoria. I love this site. So helpful and friendly.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:48 PM   #33
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Three years ago we stayed at the Elwa Dam RV park in Port Angeles WA in our motorhome. Took the Wrangler toad on the Blackball Ferry to Vancouver Is, and stayed two nights in hotels seeing the sights. Took the ferry back hooked up the toad and went on with the trip. Elwa Dam RV Park was great. Spent two nights there and they let me park two nights in the overflow free while we were in Vancouver Is. Even hooked up power for the refer for me and another guy who was doing the same.
Came back and stayed another night before going on.

Last year in late July and all of August we went up from California thru Or and Wa. We went and stayed in Sumas WA for the night for the border crossing in the next morning. Figured it would be a less used crossing and easier. It was. Asked about the time to be in CN and if we had any contraband. Passports and a wave and we were across. My wife was mad as I made her give away her plums and pluots from our garden before the crossing and we were never asked about fruit?

Went up from there thru Vancouver and then to Whistler. Then up to Canada 1 and across to Lake Shuswap. Stayed at the lake for four nights in the overflow area which is closer tho the water than the actual RV area. We stayed in the Tunnel Mountain RV park several nights. Had to go to the overflow area for two nights but it was great as it was out of the general area and right up against the outback where the animals were.

Went from there to Lake Louise, up to Jasper, and had to stay twenty miles north of town in the overflow area. Back down to Banff and then meandered back thru Mt and Id.

Never made a reservation and stayed 80% of the entire trip in boondock camps. Had a wonderful time. It was smokey due to the fires in CN, Mt, and Id.

US customs are more strict than CN. You should make sure any guns you have are preregistered with the US before you try to return with them. I left everything in storage before making the crossing so there were no problems. the US customs have been known to take RV's apart if they think you're not being factual.

Have fun, Canada is beautiful and the people are friendly in BC. Less so in Alberta but then Alberta.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:02 PM   #34
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
I don't remember the name of the RV park in Cochran, Alberta but there are several. What I do remember though is eating at Ruth Steak House, not part of the chain, but with the same name.

Had the best steak ever a Bison ribeye. It was so good we bought 3 uncooked ones to take with us. Hope this place is still in business.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:31 PM   #35
Ragtacker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17932
Just so ya know BC is not short British Columbia its short for Bring Cash lol. And I completely agree on the Bison ribeye
Old 01-08-2018, 06:13 PM   #36
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
prndl,

We are not the boon docking type. You have way more courage than I do. I always want to find the best RV park and the best site I can get at that park, and reserve 3-5 months in advance for most of our trips. We will be staying in Seattle at the Blue Sky RV Park in Issaquah, WA, and then on Vancouver Island in Nanaimo, and then to Lake Shuswap at Cottonwood Cove RV Resort, and then on to Banff and stay at Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court, if i get thru in a few days to make reservations, since they will not let you make them yet, and then on to Coeur-D'-Alene at Waters Edge RV Resort etc. We will only be spending 10 days in Canada, because we will have already done a 3 week San Diego trip before that, and then after the Canada trip, we are planning on a big trip back to the east coast for a 2-3 months. Maybe some day we will be more gutsy, and boon dock, it's just that at around 58' and needing 50 amps if we want to run both A/C's, I'm not OK taking just any RV space?
Old 01-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #37
Ragtacker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17932
Ya we are going back east for 2-3 months next year delayed from this year. At least to Nova Scotia maybe Newfoundland. Family in NS so will spend lots of time there and maybe consume a lobster or 10
Old 01-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #38
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I also don't boondock much. But when I do, it is usually up in the mountains so it is a little cooler. Also, I would miss my Dish tv!!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote