Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2008, 04:15 AM   #1
swtgator

M.O.C. #8094
Pros and Cons on the Montana

We are considering the purchase of a Montana 5th wheel. Any pros and cons we should consider???? We would appreciate any comments that would be helpful. Thanks.

swtgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:54 AM   #2
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
The Montana line seems to distort the old addage that "you get what you pay for". While the Montana is certainly not the top of the line in 5th wheel RV's I think most of the members on the MOC agree that with a Montana you get a lot of nice features and quality for what you pay and that is attractive. When you compare the floor plans, overall attention to detail, towing features and price the Montana makes a good choice. Any problems that folks have had don't seem to be restricted to the Montana line but more of an industry wide quality problem, across all manufacturers. Good luck with your decisions.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:05 AM   #3
TexasTraveler
Established Member

M.O.C. #7892
Pete stated it very well. We had a VR-1 that was nearly problem free and our new (2007) Montana 3475RL is even better. It would be difficult for us not to recommend the Montana.
TexasTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:47 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We are on our second Montana Big Sky. We have thoroughly enjoyed living full time in both these units. Our problems have been fewer than I expected and have been handled easily. Whether vehicles, stick houses or RVs, they all have things that need to be corrected and maintenance that needs to be performed regardless of price. With the Montana, we like to say it is the "best bang for you buck."
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:05 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We can not add to what Pete posted.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:07 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I agree with the above. For the price, I am not sure you can do better. We looked at a LOT of 5'ers in or near the same price range at RV shows and dealers lots. The Montana just seemed to stand out from the rest. We have not had ours near as long as many here, but every time we go out in it, I am convinced we made a good choice.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #7
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
When I thought we might FULLTIME, and not have a house payment, Doubletree MobileSuite($$$) became our first choice (would also have required a BIG Tow Vehicle). But for part-timing the Montana or Jayco Designer became the best value for us. And as a member of this club, our final marketplace decision was for the Montana. The Club itself was also a very positive influence.
So far so good!
I did have to throw out the Dometic piece of junk amonia leaking not quite 3 year old Refrigerator but that's not Keystone's fault.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We've been proud owners of our Montana for over seven years now and have full timed in in almost from the day we bought it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:17 AM   #9
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
We had a travel trailer before upgrading to the Montana 5th Wheel. We looked at alot of differnt makes and models before choosing the Montana. Well really the final factor was the kitchen, the wife saw that and that was it. It all boils down on how much money you really want to spend. We saw 5th wheels costing alot more than the Monty and in our opinion not as nice as the Monty. It depends on floor plans also, what do you want. We even looked a motorhome before deciding, but same layout all the time, bedroom in the rear, kitchen/living in the middle. With 5th wheels, alot of different plans. We also asked around when searching for a new trailer. Talk to alot of people. Confiring with my dad the trailering master, with 50 years of experince. Are we happy with our choice, YES. The only problems I have had with my Monty since deliverly were the little flashlight did not work and the toilet seal was not seating right. My dealer is very good. If you choose the Montana, you will not regret it. The MOC members are very helpful and friendly. A wealth of information here.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:04 AM   #10
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
To chime in we are very pleased with our Montana 3400. Our dealer adds to that with good support. Not to avoid criticism of a good product, you may also want to look at http://www.rv.net/forum/, another rv forum site that has more universal owners that could give you another side to Montanas and other brands from their perspective. I believe that with over 8000 MOC owners here most are generally or greatly pleased overall with their Montana choices. Of many I am one. Good Luck on your choice.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:44 PM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We first saw the Montana in 1999. Fell in love. Had 2 fivers before. It took us 5 years to fulfill our dream. Our 3400 has been a great unit and we love it. All lifestyles have some problems. We looked and looked and didn't find anything that beat the quality for the price. Plus you get the MOC on top of a great unit and the chance to meet some great people.
Happy trails..............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #12
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We are on our second Montana. We were so pleased with our first one that we purchased the second without even looking at other makes. Do make sure that your dealer is good on service, though. That seems to be a common theme in this forum - many problems that either are the dealer's fault or the dealer didn't do the job correctly. We also have had problems but they were taken care of quickly by our dealer and/or Keystone's Montana Division in Goshen. This is a manufacturer that listens to and responds for its customers. That has been our experience.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #13
nghelwer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7751
we are very pleased with our used Montana Moutaineer.

although new to 5th wheels, we have owned trailers, pop-ups,motorhome,& truck camper, by many different mfgs, jayco,palamino,apache,titan and others.

each one had it's own joys & problems, however we have really enjoyed our present unit the most.

you really can't go wrong with the Montana line

wish you many years of enjoyment
nghelwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We are enjoying the heck out of our Montana. Would we do it again? In all honesty yes. Would we buy another Montana in 3-4 years? Who knows, a lot can happen between now and then. I prefer to evaluate that at that time. I know we really enjoy our home and we live in it full time. Good luck to you and happy rving.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:46 AM   #15
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We are on our second Montana too. Generally we agree on the value for the money argument. One additional thing though, you are also buying dealership support, don't overlook that in seeking out good deals. There is more to a good deal than the bottom line dollars.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:03 AM   #16
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We purchased our first trouble free Montana (2004 2955RL) in 2003. We purcahsed our 2nd Montana (2007 3485RL) this past January. Last week we entered into an agreement to purchase our 3rd Montana. An agreement that we did back out of as after due consideration it just didn't make good financial sense to trade-in a less than year old rig.
In searching for our 2004 we did look at some SOBs but that was the only time we looked at other brands. Since than we have only considered Montana's and unless they make some drastic changes for the worse we will only buy Montana's in the future.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:12 AM   #17
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
My main concern when purchasing is the dealer. Does he/she have a reputation for good service? Can you count on him/her when the chips are down? I've found that getting a bargain at some dealer that has a high turnover of units does not mean they provide good service. I will not drive out of the way to get a bargain because I believe service is what you pay for when you purchase. In our case, we've purchased from the same dealer since 1976 and have always been treated like we were their only customer. Always good service.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:24 AM   #18
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Orv speaks from the view of a wise man. Although the Montana line is an excellent one, I like Orv, place much more emphasis on the dealer than the final price. The price should be realistic with market, but the service and reputation is an invaluable asset to me. We are very happy with our Montana, our dealer, and the trips (towability) we have experienced so far. Good luck on your choice. Would we buy another one??? Based on our ownership to date, yes!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #19
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I purchased a Mountaineer used about 2 years ago. I liked the unit so much I wanted to move up to the 5th wheel. I purchased it this past November. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. I have had some normal maintance issues but overall it is much better than the other brand my buddy has which is constantly breaking on trips.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:04 PM   #20
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
"DITTO",, What else is there to say??? They are fabulous
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote