Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2017, 09:11 AM   #1
Leyland
Established Member

M.O.C. #19600
Smile 3791 RD Back up camera update

I have read several post but wanted to let everyone know how my backup camera is wired. I read in the forum two different ways it could be wired in. Discovered that my new Montana actually came with the observation camera and is power when I turn on the two vehicle lights or the running lights. From what I have read is that this is ok since it's an observation camera and not just a backup camera which shouldn't be on except when backing. Once I turn on the tow vehicle lights a blue light came on the camera mounted on the back of the camper and then it pairs right up once I pushed the little button on the camera.

Leyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
So to use it while driving down the road you must have your lights on. I rewired my 2017 by bringing a wire down to the hot side of an inside switch and put a switch on that new wire so that the camera works now all the time unless I turn it off at its own switch.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:34 PM   #3
Leyland
Established Member

M.O.C. #19600
That is a thought, for now I will just turn my lights or parking lights on. Just figured the camera out today, so I will see how it works tomorrow. Heading home.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:19 PM   #4
Arcamper
Established Member

M.O.C. #17222
That is better than the way my 2016 3100RL was wired. It could not be turned off and it burned up in about 4 months. I now have it to the park lights.
Arcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #5
jjfleck
Established Member

M.O.C. #19826
Took me awhile to figure out that the headlights had to be on. My problem is that the signal is quite weak, I am constantly losing picture. I pretty much have to hold it out the window for it to work right. Is anybody else's like this or is mine no good?
jjfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:18 PM   #6
Leyland
Established Member

M.O.C. #19600
Used mine once and didn't have any problems with the signal.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:50 AM   #7
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfleck View Post
Took me awhile to figure out that the headlights had to be on. My problem is that the signal is quite weak, I am constantly losing picture. I pretty much have to hold it out the window for it to work right. Is anybody else's like this or is mine no good?
Furrion makes a rear observation camera, that will plug right in and use the same mount it comes with a new screen with antenna and is good for 100 ft. You can call and they will give you an upgrade price and you send your old backup camera back to them in the box provided.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:26 PM   #8
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
I haven't checked out on how our camera is wired, but it is on all the time even when unhooked from the truck. The only way to shut it off is to use the battery disconnect. The camera that came on the Montana was the back up camera and quit working. The dealer replaced it with an observation camera under warranty and all is good. I should check out the wiring for it and hook up a switch for the camera so that I can turn it off when boon docking.
Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:45 AM   #9
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pachu View Post
I haven't checked out on how our camera is wired, but it is on all the time even when unhooked from the truck. The only way to shut it off is to use the battery disconnect. The camera that came on the Montana was the back up camera and quit working. The dealer replaced it with an observation camera under warranty and all is good. I should check out the wiring for it and hook up a switch for the camera so that I can turn it off when boon docking.

I had the same problem, went thru two backup cameras before I switched to the observation camera and it has been good ever since.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote