Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2017, 05:26 PM   #1
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Alert: How old is your fire extinguisher?

This story has nothing to do with my montana. But was a eye opening because I never thought this could be an issue.

There are two stories here one involves a camper fire everyones worst nightmare. You don't have to read this graphic image from what I remember.
It was a few years ago and I never acted upon what I know and what I seen.
But it has become a revelation only due to it being personal this time. So If you have a somewhat queasy stomach don't descend your reading which I describe the Salisbury Beach State Park story.

I recently had to use one at the house. Nothing serious but still alarming.
I check the extinguishers often and read the gauge and give them a shake or two when I think of it. They were always in the green zone so I assumed all 'A OK' I guess that is pressure gauge and all seemed normal.

Well after a few seconds of discharge it went from full spray to nothing. I could still shake it and feel the chemical floating around so it wasn't due to settling. The gauges are crap and don't mean anything.

At work we have a company that comes in and inspects our CO2 FM200 and Haylon as well as inergen systems. Every 2 years they remove and replace all the 5, 10, and 15lb extinguishers.

The ones in our campers are only 3lbs. Tiny by any standards. Actually could not extinguish a camp fire and marginally useful for a Weber baby Q grill fire.

I have attended in the past, the incipient fire training through the state fire marshall's facility, Yes I did get a certificate for completion.
Everything from exercises in electrical, chemical and wood fires and the types of extinguishers.
That's how I knew to do a shake exercise before use and every so often to prevent settling of the powder inside.

But while I reflect upon what happened. I took inventory of the 6 extinguishers I own. Less the one I used. Low and behold they are all over 10 years old and I no longer have any faith in their performance.

So just a question to throw out there for for the rest of you. REPLACE your extinguisher and get at least 2 more for the camper.

If you act quickly enough they can be useful. Just don't expect one to be enough for safety sake. People are always talking about this and that, not being safe.
Here is one instance where you can never be too safe to save your own HIDE and protect Life, Liberty and Prosperity no matter what affiliation you maintain.

Years ago we were at Salisbury Beach State Park. We use to run into Frank and Sandy (FMsunoco) and Al and Nita (coachpotatoes). I honestly don't recall if they were they were there when this happened.
It isn't something we would talk about anyway.
Well one morning I awoke to a 5er can't remember the brand. But there was smoke showing. People were panicking and people said the people weren't home but there were cats inside.
Doors locked people frantic and worried. Maybe someone is still inside and husband went to work with the vehicle alone.

The Fire Dept arrived extremely quick.
First two out of the truck opened the storage areas and pulled the propane tanks and threw them out of the immediate area.
The other two jumped out and one got an axe the other started pulling hose. I thought they were a little too slow with the axe to brake open the door. But more hose and connections were made to the tanker. Seconds only went by but it was in somewhat slow motion to me at the time. Only because my mind was racing and I've had training but I know they are the professionals so who am I to question.

Hoses ready the door was opened with a continuous spray of water one towards the roof where there were now flames, the other at the firefighter making entry to the 5er. The door flung open and no flames come shooting out so it was not a oxygen deprived back draft situation (hose on FF making entry). That hose then made a concentrated spray towards the ceiling area inside the camper.
It looked like the origin of the area was the Refrigerator by looking at the after remains. I don't recall any animals being recovered or if they were with the parents at the time. Someone said they were nomads and had overstayed their time there 2wks max. But it was off season. Then some others said they thought it might be on purpose due to divorce.
I was only there for the weekend. It made the papers and the local news, beyond that I have no conclusions just a harrowing experience.

Please everyone be safe and protect yourselves.

Blessed and safe travels where ever the road may lead you.
uhftx is offline   Reply With Quote