Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2018, 08:13 AM   #1
Castner's
Established Member

M.O.C. #19693
Unhappy Front Landing Gear

We have a 2017 Montana, Model #3791RD. We have had some minor problems in the past 10 months, but now we seem to be having a major problem with our Front Landing Gear. My wife and I were asleep several nights ago and were awakened to a loud THUMP. We awoke and then listened again! We then heard the THUMP again as it sounded like it was coming from the front of the RV. I got dressed and went outside. Again the noise sounded, which I believed was coming from the front landing gear. I opened the propane door and listened again and it was coming from the landing gear. I then listen again and then it came from the other landing gear in the (both) in the front. In the morning, I measured the length of both front landing gear and also marked them. The next few nights we heard the same noise coming from the front landing gear. This morning I checked the measurement of the landing gear, and they have decreased along with the mark has disappeared as well, telling me that there is something wrong with the front landing gear. My Lippert Level Control still says the landing gear is down and level. Has anyone experienced this type of problems with there new fifth wheel? If so, what did you do. Getting ready to call a authorized dealer.
Castner's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:38 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
In the propane compartment (street side in my unit) you will notice a solinoid on the landing gear. The end of it has a needle valve that can be tightened with an Allen key. Your solinoid probably needs a minor tightening. Caution...the overall range on this adjustment is small, so don't go gorilla mode when you tighten it.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:22 AM   #3
Cheezy1
Established Member

M.O.C. #17779
The needle valve is a 5/32" hex plug on the top front of the leveling cylinder. To tighten it turn it counter clockwise to finger tight. I have had the same problem on my 2015. Don't be afraid to call Lippert Components customer service for help. They are very good.
Cheezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:48 AM   #4
Castner's
Established Member

M.O.C. #19693
We have a needle valve on both landing gear, so I will tighten both of them a little. Hope it works as it is driving us crazy at night! Thanks again.
Castner's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #5
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezy1 View Post
The needle valve is a 5/32" hex plug on the top front of the leveling cylinder. To tighten it turn it counter clockwise to finger tight. I have had the same problem on my 2015. Don't be afraid to call Lippert Components customer service for help. They are very good.
I just went out to check my hex plug. Both sides were completely tight in a clockwise direction. According to the manual that should be what you use in manual override mode. I'm thinking I should turn them both to full tight counter clockwise to take it out of manual mode. Do you all agree?
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:29 PM   #6
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
We leveled the system on a level garage floor. My problem is my drivers side landing gear is shorter than the passenger side. It seems to be getting worse. I might have to look at tightening the needle valve.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote