Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2009, 01:12 AM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
DVR on the road

We are considering buying a DVR for our Direct TV service to use while traveling. Does anyone out there have any experience with this set up? I would like to know, will the DVR be able to be programed to record future programs or will it only work by recording a program while you watch it? Do DVR's lose the recorded information and/or the recording future programs in its memory if the recorder is unplugged while moving from one place to another? Thanks John

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gojodo

We are considering buying a DVR for our Direct TV service to use while traveling. Does anyone out there have any experience with this set up?
We have been using a Direct TV DVR in the Montana for the last two years.
Quote:
quote:
I would like to know, will the DVR be able to be programed to record future programs or will it only work by recording a program while you watch it?
The DVR will record up to two programs at one time. You don't have to watch either for this to happen. While the DVR is recording two shows concurrently, if you want to watch something, it has to be previously recorded or one of the shows being recorded.
Quote:
quote:
Do DVR's lose the recorded information and/or the recording future programs in its memory if the recorder is unplugged while moving from one place to another?
Nope, the previously recorded shows and the information related to which ones should be recorded in the future is retained when the power is removed. Of course the DVR has to have power, and a satellite connection, to actually record those future shows when the appointed time arrives.

We typically record the East Coast feeds (we usually are in the West) during our cocktail hour/dinner and then watch them (sans commercials) later the same evening. Works great!

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We have used the Dishnetwork version of the DVR for years while on the road, and it works great as stated by Carl and Susan above.

Recently we ugraded to the HD DVR, and it allows you to output to other media devices through a USB port, including a laptop, and I suppose maybe an ipod.

We can also watch Dish-on-Demand movies direct through our Ethernet Network now, and I assume DirectTV now does the same. It may be possible to watch and record on demand movies through an air-card without having a satellite antenna at all.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

We have used the Dishnetwork version of the DVR for years while on the road, and it works great as stated by Carl and Susan above.

Recently we ugraded to the HD DVR, and it allows you to output to other media devices through a USB port, including a laptop, and I suppose maybe an ipod.

We can also watch Dish-on-Demand movies direct through our Ethernet Network now, and I assume DirectTV now does the same. It may be possible to watch and record on demand movies through an air-card without having a satellite antenna at all.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #5
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Let's try this again. Brad, I think I read on the Direct TV site that I would need a land-line based broadband connection to get the equivelent of Dish-On-Demand (Pay Per View), but it sounds like you are able to accomplish this with an air-card? Am I reading your post correctly? This would be helpful. John
Old 01-04-2009, 05:19 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gojodo

Let's try this again. Brad, I think I read on the Direct TV site that I would need a land-line based broadband connection to get the equivelent of Dish-On-Demand (Pay Per View), but it sounds like you are able to accomplish this with an air-card? Am I reading your post correctly? This would be helpful. John
Ah - conufusing isn't it.

Again, I can only speak for Dish - The new receivers have Cat5 ethernet, USB, and telephone connections. If you are connected to Cat5 ethernet with internet access, you do not need the telephone jack connected. The reciever accesses home through the internet.

One of the features of having Cat5 Ethernet connected at home, is it provides yet another means to watch live streaming on-demand movies from Dish through the network, rather than from the antenna.

Although I haven't tried it, my theory is that if you have an aircard with a wireless/Cat5 networked router such as the NexAira that you use for internet access, this router will also allow you to connect direct to your Dish receiver with ethernet, and watch/record streaming movies from Dish without a dish at all. I don't have an aircard router, or I would just try it at home.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
danlinserv
Established Member

M.O.C. #7897
Yes, a DVR works fine in the RV... Works just like home except it won't work while you are on the road, of course. One difference is that you must feed the dish with TWO cables instead of one with a regular receiver. You have two tuners in a DVR and to record two programs at once you have to have a cable for each tuner. No problem for me. I just used one cable fed thru sat cable input on outside and ran the other one thru a window. If you don't want the dual record capibility you can just run the one cable and it will work fine. The recorded programs are on a hard disk inside the DVR so they are stored ok between power stops and starts while towing.
danlinserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We have used Direct TV and TIVO for several years now, and danlinserv is right about needing two cables, along with a dual LNB. We installed an additional sat input right under the original one, and the had second cable to hook to DVR. Got it at Camping World.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hmmm! I have Dish here at the house with 4 televisions and two receivers. One is a DVR and the other is plain Jane. All 4 televisions are capable of receiving their one independent satellite signal. One feed from the antenna goes to the DVR and the other to plain Jane. There are a few switches/splitters on the back of each receiver for the one cable. that gives it the capability of "dual channel" (Again this is for DISH) With one antenna lead-in feeding the DVR I can watch one, record two, or watch one, record one when in "single mode." When in dual mode - things get a little more complicated and I just usually let the DW's shows record in single mode for my safety.

Nice thing is that you can record "umpteen" hours of shows and movies on the movie channels if you subscribe. When you get to your destination and you don't have a good movie, you can watch what you have recorded. Also, you don't have to set up the antenna to do so. DW must have 60 hours or more of House Hunters, and another 60 hours of Food Channel, so she is always happy. Me - I just get on the computer and look for the end of the Internet. (Found it once)

Mater of fact - found it RIGHT HERE

Edited: Don't forget to check out HULU for those episodes you missed.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote