Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2016, 11:52 PM   #1
egregg57
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15998
Send a message via Yahoo to egregg57
The long, cold, winter

And before you southern tier folks start chiming in...SHOOSH YOU!

So here in the Northeast, it is always a sad day when the lines are drained, the shelves are emptied and the slides are closed up for the final time till spring. Our Montana, or any of our RV's we've had, have been our ticket to go. Go anywhere we would like within reason being both Tina and I still work.

Winterizing the RV is like a parent taking the keys away from the teenager.. it's house arrest, its WRONG! So wrong! But I digress....

So it gets REALLY bad after the New Year. Then the holidays are over, the hussle and bustle is behind us, and there are 3 months to wait till that first thorough wash and wax, the cleaning, stocking and making ready for the new season. It's a long three months folks. There is a little silver lining though. We start planning. Oh and the planning takes us away...

To warm summer breezes, the rustle of leaves in a light breeze, ripples across a lake surrounded by hardwoods and pines. My reclining Lafuma chair... yeeeessss, and a crackling campfire with a few friends around to discuss everything, anything, or nothing at all. Is there anything better than waking up to a sunrise in the White Mountains of New Hampshire near a lake or pond? Yea verily I say no! There's a lot of things that come close in satisfaction, but none that fill the senses, quiets the mind and relaxes the way that being in those special places!

We had our first snow the other day. I'd like to think the count down has begun. Here is to 2017!

See you out there!

Eric

egregg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:09 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Ours have been winterized for about a month. Weather has still been fairly nice here in north TX, but down to 20 or maybe high teens by Friday morning. Just hope circumstances allow us to use it more during the coming year.

Beautiful site in your picture. Location? (you do need to shrink the pic size a little though to keep from stretching the screen)
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:31 AM   #3
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Eric...yep even down here in Virginia the count down has begun towards out first trip scheduled in March...we winterized a couple of weeks ago...supposed to be down in the teens this weekend at nights...no snow this far south as of yet....Have a Great Christmas and New Year....enjoyed meeting you in Williamsburg....the New England area so far has been our favorite region to visit and camp....take care
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:40 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
There is no question, every day we give thanks we are full timers.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:54 AM   #5
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
Yup...winterize a few weeks ago. Rig in for inspection..then cover until March.

I can't express the encouragement our planned trip to Fl/Spring Training provides. Phillies tickets go on sale in January. Already have tickets to the Phils/Yankees game via The Yankees website.

Also I'm 99% sure we will head to the National Rally next year. Looking forward to that!!

Agree...planning helps pass the dreary winter. I don't consider winter over until May 1. Warmth....just the thought of warmth helps pass these days.

Also looking forward to selling the house at retirement and full timing a while before settling down in SC. (That's if the Lord allows. My plans often are not his....)
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:15 PM   #6
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
First year of full timing and we are not missing the winterizing and covering process. Spending the winter in Florida and enjoying the kids information regarding the 6 degree temps back in Boise. I still love the Boise area but don't mis the winter temps!!
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
We've been winterized for a few weeks. For me, winter gives me a chance to plan the next years' trips and any upgrade/improvements on the Montana. This year it will be wet bolts. I don't mind the 4 seasons so much. It makes me appreciate the months we do have to camp. I agree on the White Mountains, but heck anywhere in northern New England is a good spot; Maine and Vermont have some beautiful places to go as well as NH.
As for the picture in your sig, is that Danforth Bay?

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:08 AM   #8
egregg57
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15998
Send a message via Yahoo to egregg57
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sambam

We've been winterized for a few weeks. For me, winter gives me a chance to plan the next years' trips and any upgrade/improvements on the Montana. This year it will be wet bolts. I don't mind the 4 seasons so much. It makes me appreciate the months we do have to camp. I agree on the White Mountains, but heck anywhere in northern New England is a good spot; Maine and Vermont have some beautiful places to go as well as NH.
As for the picture in your sig, is that Danforth Bay?
Danforth Bay it is! Site 104.
egregg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:06 AM   #9
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
I winterized as well. I pulled it to Florida
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:18 AM   #10
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
I finished my winterization late October. Arrived RGV for 5th year.

https://www.rancherovillagetx.com/
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:49 PM   #11
Chiplynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13144
Did not winterize, but had to move the rig out of storage and run the furnace last night to keep everything warm. Will be heading south the first of January and did not want to winterize and undo it 3 weeks later!!
Chiplynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:05 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I use my camper all winter. I have 3 blankets and a sleeping bag on the bed. I take my shoes off get in the bed get warm and take a nice nap.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:43 PM   #13
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Put on a new tank o LP yesterday, first one this winter. Leaving for Myrtle Beach today, returning Wed. will leave for Key West Dec 26, and return to Charleston for Jim Fischer's birthday bash. We refuse to accept winter. Still thinking about Feb. Sure we will go somewhere. We are not thinking of moving North
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:05 PM   #14
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
A real old fashioned December here in North Dakota. Currently this Saturda evening the air temp is 23 below zero and windchill of 50 below. Spring can't get here soon enough!!
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:19 PM   #15
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
That sounds like fun. I couldn't even keep my house warm at -23. My heating system wouldn't keep up. It is only good to about 10 degrees.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:46 AM   #16
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
-23 with a windchill of -50 now that's just crazy. Here I am complaining this morning it's 35 and will only get to 50 or so today. Got to love Arazona in the fall, winter and spring. Although a bit hot in the summer but that is for maybe 2 1/2 to 3 months. That's when I take the Monty to the mountains only 75 miles from home and 30 degrees cooler. I grew up in the northeast where it's 9 months of winter and 3 months of getting ready.
Winter was damp and cold, lasting for 4 to 5 months spring was wet and sloppy what with the melting snow and the occasional ice or snow storm. Then summer with lots of biting bugs,high humidity and thunder storms. Then the fall now that's Beautiful, bugs gone same for the humidity best time of the year. Last for about 3 weeks then back to winter. Now this in "just my humble opinion" and I do understand why some like to live there, but life is far to short to put up with that.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:18 AM   #17
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
One winter when I was still working, I had taken a load of fuel up to Thompson, Manitoba. When I woke up in the morning the temperature was -48C (-54.4F) with a wind chill of -58C (-72.4F) All of the air lines on both trailers were froze up solid and it took me 4.5 hours to get them thawed out before the brakes would release and I could go unload the trailers. I never want to experience those temperatures again. Winters are way to long.

Last night it was -29C (-20.2F) It's now -12C (10.4F) wind chill of -20C or -4F and warming up to -1C (30.2F) on Thursday. A heat wave for us.
Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote