Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2017, 04:20 PM   #21
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
You know there is always something or someone or dogs to complain about, but it is not their fault, it is the owner's fault. We have had 7 Golden Retrievers in our 38 years of marriage, and they would only lick someone to death, and are always on leash, and have poop bag carriers on their backs, and we clean up instantly, and they 99.9% of the time go where we tell them to go, and never on our walks. So it is all about the owner and how responsible they are. There are a lot more unfriendly people at RV parks than dogs so far that I have seen. Most dogs I see at the parks love anyone that wants to come pet them. Too bad us humans are not as friendly. My dogs love me way more than my wife ever has, and she does love me. So I agree, there are some yappy dogs out there, but it is up to the humans to make them behave.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:22 AM   #22
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Its fine to take dogs camping for a weekend but I see them everywhere. i see them at car shows ,stores, and places that a owner should know that it's not good for the dog to be ether. The dog that bit me was on a leash but the owner lost control and dropped it because he had 2 of them yelping things. I was not even looking at the owner nor talking to him. I was under the nose of mine shutting off a gas bottle I have there. I was attacked by this dog for no reason. I still have the bite mark. Its good that I am up on my shots. Another thing is you go to emergency room and wait to be seen then get a shot or antibiotics then go home. Time may be as little as a hour or longer.
All I have to say is leave your dogs in a kennel so you won't get sued and your dog wont be put down. Next time I won't be so nice about this. Dog will go and owner will be kicked out of campground. wont stand for unreasonable dog owners again.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:50 AM   #23
Beau2010
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18355
Viper
We also have now and have had a number of Goldens. The current two go everywhere with us in the rig. Like you say, the most damage they do is licking and wagging. The big male is our guard dog. He alerts on anything that gets close to us and he sounds really fierce but he is a big creampuff. The smaller female is the hunter; will chase anything with fur or feathers. We spent about 3 months in a park in Charleston, SC last winter and everyone in the park got acquainted with them as they get their walks twice a day. Anyone who thinks he is getting away with something by not picking up after his dog is fooling himself because there are many eyes around a park and they all talk to each other. Word gets around very quickly.
Beau2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:28 AM   #24
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Bone,

I guess since I don't live in an RV park, I don't get to see the same yappy dog day after day, so i will give you that, but suing and putting a dog down? Seems harsh to me. All you have to do is report it to animal control, and let them take care of it. Since the dog broke skin and I am assuming you bled a little, then they will quarantine the dog until it gets tested, and the owner will get his first warning. If any other instances are reported, usually there will be a second warning, and a fine. The third warning, usually means the dog has to be moved or if it is a real sever attack, put down. But suing to get money over something like this, seems a bit over the top. JM2C
Old 06-02-2017, 12:44 PM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have owned dogs all our life any animal if cornered, threatened, hungry will attack.

I will take a beating for this.I was attacked by a dog exactly once many years ago up in the mountains near our hunting camp. I noted a medium sized dog tracking me .Don't know were it came from or who it belonged to and never found out.It had a collar and after a few mins of tracking me it came at me teeth bared. I shot it. Reported it to the game warden and gave the location. Never heard about it again. It did not look healthy and My guess is it was sick. I did not touch it.

I will say again your gentle pet Dog will attack if provoked. Remember they are animals.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:23 PM   #26
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
"I will say again your gentle pet Dog will attack if provoked. Remember they are animals."

My wife will do the same thing, so be on guard!! :-) I just figured out why "Bone" was attacked? The dog was just going after a bone! :-) Just kidding...
Old 06-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #27
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We have owned dogs all our life any animal if cornered, threatened, hungry will attack.

I will take a beating for this.I was attacked by a dog exactly once many years ago up in the mountains near our hunting camp. I noted a medium sized dog tracking me .Don't know were it came from or who it belonged to and never found out.It had a collar and after a few mins of tracking me it came at me teeth bared. I shot it. Reported it to the game warden and gave the location. Never heard about it again. It did not look healthy and My guess is it was sick. I did not touch it.

I will say again your gentle pet Dog will attack if provoked. Remember they are animals.
You can add if it feels the need to protect their territory or family.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
You can add if it feels the need to protect their territory or family.
That is IMO the #1 cause and falls under 'If provoked" Domestic dogs are still pack animals and we are members of the pack.

When dumped in the mountains by people who do not want them the strongest will survive and rapidly revert to there primitive origins . What happens to the weaker ones is not pleasant but then the folks who dumped them do not get to see that. We do.

We and others had the unfortunate experience of clearing those packs prior to hunting season in the mountains as they did what they had to do to survive.Protect the pack, kill for food, protect their territory. A small pack could run down a deer and kill it in short order.

This particular animal was IMO sick as it was alone and the attack was unprovoked.

I have no love for those Humans who abandon their animals without thought to what is ultimately a certain death.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #29
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Rich I'm not going to attack you. You did exactly what you should have done. Last week snme idiot left a pot belly pig up on the mountain where I ride my motorcycle. If someone hadn't got him I would have went back up there and shot him by now. We don't need any hogs of any type here.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #30
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
I am a veterinarian who hunts. Rich, you did what I would have done. Laws vary from state to state in the U.S., but everyone needs to understand that anytime a bite occurs Rabies transmission is a possibility, even if the biting animal was currently vaccinated. No vaccine in any species is 100% effective. I am retired now, but when I was practicing I always kept up with my own personal Rabies vaccination because the bite that will kill you comes from the animal that you think is OK. Bottom line-Rabies is not a treatable disease. The "Rabies shots" that are given to people who are bitten are nothing but multiple vaccinations-you are hoping that your own immune system "outruns" the virus. If a human is bitten that animal should be quarantined for at least ten days, or, in the case of a wild animal, humanely euthanized and checked for the presence of the Rabies virus. I could give you numerous instances from my practice career of 42 years when a pet animal bit someone and was not suspected to have Rabies when it did.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:20 AM   #31
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
drjjj,

I have often wondered why people are not given preventative rabies shots routinely. Are they ineffective or dangerous?

Rich,

"I have no love for those Humans who abandon their animals without thought to what is ultimately a certain death."

I my opinion, they deserve long prison sentences. When you take on a pet, you do it for all of its natural life.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #32
jking
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20361
Dogs and children are the same: they will either do what they are taught or what you let them get away with! It REALLY is that simple. No bad dogs, just bad owners!
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 ctd. 4x4 srw
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:17 PM   #33
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
AZ Traveler:
The "human" Rabies vaccine is neither harmful or ineffective, it is just very expensive. The initial series is three doses, then you can have a titre checked (blood test) every year or so to see when you need a one shot booster. The vaccine, the last time I checked, was well over $100 a dose. Even though I am retired from full time practice, I still intend to keep up with my protection as I often travel to other countries where Rabies is rampant in the wildlife. Just my $0.02.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:59 PM   #34
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemoore View Post
We have a guy at our park who has a small dog. I had watched him let the dog poop and then walk away. Well about the 4th or 5th time I just could not stand it so I confronted him about not picking it up. He said " its small and will just dry up and blow away"? So I asked what happens between the time it lands on the ground and it drys up? Like all the flys it draws and if one steps in it. While we were talking I kept moving around and what do you think he stepped in it. Got to love how that works. He now pickes it up. Plus the Ranger told him one more time and he is gone.
2 x

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:33 PM   #35
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
My wife was raised around animals all her life and she has never touched a cat or dog in her life. I just had an barn cat that was over 17 years old that i had to have put down because of old age and my wife never touched her. Even those dogs that are on an leash can cause someone to hurt themselves if the dog owner allows there dog to run up to someone without knowing if they fear animals. My wife has 2 artificial knees and can't move very fast and i worry about her falling when someone assumes she wants to pet there dog and allows it to run up to her. The bottom line is just be responsible. My wife likes dogs but from a distance.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:15 AM   #36
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Bone - I hope all is well now. Dog bites are not fun

We travel with a couple smallish dogs. They have yet to bite anyone though if threatened, the older one might go into protective (read as loud) mode. If they are outside, they are confined to a portable pen or on a leash while walking. They will occasionally yap a couple times if someone walks by with a dog. We will not put up with any more than that 1 or 2 yaps nor do we expect our neighbors to do it either.

We have left our usual summer CG and gone home if a weekender brings a yapper or several though the CG owner will usually handle the problem. While traveling we have pulled out early with the accompanying pain to my wallet if the CG has uncontrolled dogs (also humans)

Dog poo - my DW handled one problem by taking a shovel and leaving a large deposit on a weekender's entry steps of several big turds that had been left under our LR slide. They, along with thei monster dog have been banned from the CG as well.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:46 AM   #37
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Dog poo - my DW handled one problem by taking a shovel and leaving a large deposit on a weekender's entry steps of several big turds that had been left under our LR slide. They, along with thei monster dog have been banned from the CG as well.
Tell me she left it in a paper bag, lit it and knocked on the door.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:53 AM   #38
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Tell me she left it in a paper bag, lit it and knocked on the door.

That would have been better but no. We did enjoy hearing a few new and interesting words from next door though
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote