Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #1
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
QR 3000

I had my QR2000 replaced with the QR3000 today, I think it is worst than ever. I cannot get any volume out of the unit. To listen to the radio or a CD, the volume has to be set around 45 to 50. To play a DVD with the air on you need the volume around 70. Maximum volume on the unit is 80. Has anyone had these problems? Can you fix this with some programing? I need help and answers, Thanks

rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:58 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Have you tried the "Level" controls to adjust the individual speakers?

We have never had ours over 50, and that sounds plenty loud to us. We mostly use it to play background music from Sirius, we have never played a DVD on it, so perhaps we are not in a position to judge.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:50 PM   #3
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
We never even used our QR2000, Just went down to Circuit City and Bought a Samsung Home Theatre System
with a built in AM & FM tuner. Replaced all the Speakers with the ones that came with the Samsung unit.
When I was taking the QR2000 System out, I noticed that the left & right rear speakers were twisted together with the left and right Front Speakers. So you never even really had true surround sound. I had to cut the front speaker openings to fit the new speakers, ( the new ones are about a 3 X 4 1/2 " in size. This system just about sounds as good as the one in our stick house. We will have to camp in the bushes or people will be coming around telling us to turn it down a little.
Not bad for a couple of hundred bucks.

take care
J & D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:22 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I gotta believe it is an installation problem. I would never claim to be an electronics or sound expert. Most of the time when I have had issues with my electronics, unless it is unit failure, it has needed to be wired differently than it was or there was a bad connection.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:30 AM   #5
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I plan on checking all the suggestions, the guys at the dealer were perplexed. They said that they had alot of complaints with the unit, but could not explain the volume problem. They were calling Quest with the problem and hopefully a cure. We will see what happens. I do not feel trashing the unit and buying another one is a plan unless they compensate me for this unit. They should address this problem and correct it.
Thanks Guys
Old 03-03-2006, 05:10 AM   #6
montanaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5414
WE have the QR3000 system in our new 2006 3475. We had to play around with it a bit and it works great. We found that there is this pigtail FM piece that comes with the unit. We plugged it into the FM part of the receiver and the stations were not being picked up. We then took some fine wire and place one end into the end of this pigtail (had to maneuver the wire a bit to one side inside this pigtail to pick up good reception, used electrical tape to keep the wire in place, laid out the wire over the top of the larger speaker or woofer so the reception would be better, and now get all our channels on the FM. Also, there are buttons on the front of the unit and also on the remote that change your speakers around and the sound style. Maybe I can help if you send me a note to let you know which buttons do what if you are having problems with it. Montanaman
montanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:20 AM   #7
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I tried to program the unit with the remote. The only changes I could find were on compression. I will check further and see if I can make any additional changes. I know with the 2000 model you could make all kinds of changes. I am very unhappy at this time, I just want it functional.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:50 AM   #8
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
As Quest can take their Q1,2,3000 models and store them where the sun doesn't shine. I still don't understand how they can pretend to offer a quality product and then not back it.
I also don't understand how a company like Keystone can offer this piece of junk on their units.I had trouble with mine 30 days past warranty, and when contacted Quest told me Too bad, it's out of warranty. Still have it, and when I go past their offices on of theser fine years, I'm going to plant it on their front lawn with a lemon tree for company. I'll stay with JVC from now on.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:24 AM   #9
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I love to tinker with electronics, but after reading about the Quest units on the forum, as soon as I confirmed how poorly it worked, I went Down to Costco and got a replacement Toshiba unit. Now I get more time to tinker with things that have a hope of working when I'm through. And Costco has a lot better warranty, too.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:26 PM   #10
dyna_rider98
Established Member

M.O.C. #3071
I replaced my QR2000 with a Sony. My dealer took the Quest back and picked up the cost of the Sony I did the install myself.
dyna_rider98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:38 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Being a Electronics guy I can tell you the quest units are not of the highest quality and we will probably not even turn ours on before we go to Wallmart and buy a better unit..However..the reality is..if keystone put a 500.00 unit in the camper most folks would still not like it and get a better one so I don't feel bad about replacing a 1.98 unit..have done so in every camper we have ever owned...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:26 PM   #12
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Richfaa, I do not understand your logic with the product. Do you want to buy my QR3000. I will make you a good deal and it's new. I do not think we are asking for too much. I did not get this product for free. I paid for it and I can't take it back. If I had known this product was as bad as it is, I would asked for it to be removed and be compensated for it.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:00 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I just got some stuff in the mail from Bose, incase any of you are interested they are offering a factory renewed 3.2.1 gs Series II DVD home entertainment system for $1099. or a 3.2.1 Series II dvd home entertainment system for $799. Both of these come with free shipping. Just thought I would pass this along...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 02:36 PM   #14
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Good Evening All,

I guess I have just been lucky. Our 2006 3400RL came with the QR3000 and has performed quite well. As a matter of fact there is a test mode that will allow you to listen to, and increase/decrease the volume of each of the various speakers. The surround sound works quite well in the DVD mode.

The only short coming of the sound system that I have noticed (and this is perhaps a personal preference) is that the bass subwoofer is not a powered unit (not a QR3000 short coming). As such, I don't always get the big bass sound I like.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:21 AM   #15
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Rickfox, could you tell me what the volume setting you use to listen comfortably for music, DVD with the air on and off. My setting is around 45 without the air and 55 to 60 with air on. My problem is not working, its the volume setting and low volume.
I have adjusted each speaker with the adjustment, but that setting is for delay between speakers to give you stereo output and equal sound to your ear. My subwoofer in mounted in the rear of a base cabinet. I plan to move it to a better location to get better bass.
Thanks for your input and response. I guess I expected more from this unit when I see Best Buy and Circuit City selling units for a few hundred dollars with better sound and wattage.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:16 AM   #16
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
We have the 2004 model 3280 with the Quest modlewhatever in it. So far the unit works well, BUT, when we came back from our DC trip last fall, the rear speakers above the chairs were broke at the mount. It looks like the installers(Montana) screwed the plastic too tight and cracked the bracket. We are now in the process of finding replacement mounting brackets for these speakers. I think we will keep our present Quest till something happens that we can't use it anymore.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:08 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rvfirefighter

Richfaa, I do not understand your logic with the product. Do you want to buy my QR3000. I will make you a good deal and it's new. I do not think we are asking for too much. I did not get this product for free. I paid for it and I can't take it back. If I had known this product was as bad as it is, I would asked for it to be removed and be compensated for it.
I think I was agreeing with you.We expect to replace the audio system..we expect to replace the Mattress ( 50.00/75.00 credit if you do not order the mattress) I would guess not much more if you could get a credit for the audio system. My point was that most folks would replace the audio system if it was a 500.00 system for "better" sound.Why can't the Rv industry give us choices in audio systems like the auto industry so we could decide how much we want to spend. Understand you would like a system that works but it does work for some folks. What can I say...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 02:24 PM   #18
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Rvfirefighter,

The QR3000 also has a volume setting adjustment for the various speakers. Perhaps you have overlooked this set up feature. Sorry I can't be specific, but as the system sends a test noise signal to the various speakers you can also increase/decrease that sound level - the display registers the db volume change as the adjustment is made. You can also hear the volume change from the speaker if you walk in its direction while making the adjustment.

Also, I will have to take a quick trip to where our trailer is stored before I can correctly answer your question concerning the "typical" volume setting.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:29 PM   #19
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I agree with you on this, richfaa, I feel that Keystone is listening and we are making changes to their units. Take the design changes that have taken place, replacing the remote thermostats, etc. We can expect change unless we demand or ask for it.
Hope your unit comes with some of the changes we are asking to be made. Maybe you will get a new home theatre unit, that would be nice.
I did replace my mattress, but I did that on my last unit. That is more personal than a DVD unit.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:33 PM   #20
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
By the way Rich,

I suggest you play with your new QR3000 system before replacing it. Being an electronics sort-of-guy, you might find that by playing with the set up, you can make it sound pretty good. I have played various musical instruments, played in a dance band, and fancy myself as somewhat more discriminating than most when it comes to musical sounds, and I believe I have heard a lot worse than the QR3000.

Again, my biggest complaint is that the non-powered sub woofer is clearly deficient - but this is not a QR3000 shortcoming.

Is there better stuff out there - undoubtedly. But then again, the back end of a trailer doesn't make for the best concert hall either.