Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2012, 04:23 AM   #1
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Underbelly panel rust and rusted bolts

[/img]

Photo taken on my back looking up at underbelly of rig. Bolts have rusted and eaten away at panel. Seems like there should have been washers or something in place originally to prevent this. At any rate, not sure if this is something we can fix or perhaps should have looked at under extended service plan. Anyone had this happen?

TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Knowing that the bolts were steel and under the belly, i started replacing them as soon as i saw any rust with stainless steel. My thinkning was sooner or latr i might need to get them off to acess the belly, i sure did not want to fight rusted bolts that were seized.

Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:49 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yikes! Are you on the coast?
Is that shot a picture of the black plastic panel covering the bottom? What is the white? Did the panel pull through the black bottom cover?
Yes, they should have used washers, or a washer/screw combo... but the bean counters wouldn't let the Old World craftsman use them. You should be able to back the screw out and put a new one in it, or abandon it and install a new one next to it.
(If that is what I am looking at....)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Ozz,

The white you see is the metal ? fiberglass ? whatever on the bottom of the rig. Look under yours and you'll see bolts/screws holding it to the frame. The bolts have rusted and the white part around the bolt hole has rusted away.

Dave will take these out and replace them with stainless (or some other corrosion-resistant) screw/bolt and a washer/plate to reinforce the white part.

Dave has painted most of the frame and other "black" metal parts underneath the rig with black Rustoleum to help prevent corrosion. Some of that black you see on the white part my be the Rustoleum, but the area right at the bolt is where the white part has rusted away.

Yikes is right. Believe it or not, we do get under the rig more than once a year. . .

No, we're not directly on the coast, but in New Jersey. Unfortunately, we are sort of "stuck" right now . . . I had a 2nd cancer diagnosis this summer so have not been up to travel. Additionally, we have a good work gig here and it would be rather foolhardy to abandon it at this time. Don't get me wrong; we like it here but traveling was definitely in our original plan.

TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Prayers for your full recovery soon!! There have been several posts over the years about replacing the screws with stainless. It's been on my list but never risen to the top. After seeing that, it will get done this winter.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I wish you good health as well, take care and keep us informed.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I'm not convinced rust is the issue. All of the bolts on our old Monty were rusted, but none of them broke through like your picture shows. I wonder if you have a water leak or a tank leak that lets water accumulate in that area until the weight caused the material to pull down over the bolt head. I do agree however that washers, fender washers to be precise, should have been used.

Good luck on your health issues!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Hi Texas hope your feeling better soon. Please let us know how you are doing. Praying for a speedy recovery.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote