Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Samiterry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13257
Genset control location

We have a 2013 3750FL Big Sky with factory installed genset ready option. I'm curious to know if there's anyone else that has a 2013 3750 FL Montana with a factory installed genset ready option and where the location is for there start/stop-hour meter.

Samiterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Our factory install resulted in the start switch/hour meter being mounted in the lower right hand cabinet of the entertainment center. The bad part is you cannot get to it with both front slides closed, which is why we bought the remote control for it. It is a pricy option ($600) with the harness and the remote. The remote does have other functions such as automatically starting the genset when shore power drops and it is programmable to turn on at low battery conditions as well as being thermostaically controlled. I have yet to program the other functions, we use it to run the genny and keep the rig cool in the summer when in transit since we crate the dog and cat in the rig when travelling.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Mine is in the right side entertainment cabinet also, like Bingo, but is in the top half. I only had the prep done which included the switch and hour meter, but not the Onan 5500K gen. Too big, too heavy, and too much of a propane hog. I installed a 4K generac that weighs half and uses 1/3 of the propane of the Onan. It came with its own switch and hour meter that I installed above the heat thermostat on the wall above the switch center. This is a much more convenient location. It is very easy to access this location by removing the panel in the front, right side, basement storage compartment.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
I don't have the same model Montana, but I had a 6.5K Onan generator installed with the start/stop hour meter on the wall opposite the entrance going up the stairs with the rest of the controls and switches. I can get to it easily.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:32 AM   #5
Samiterry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13257
Thank you, for answering. When we picked up our Big Sky, my first question to our saleslady was where the controls for the genset was. Since she didn't know, she requested the help from a service tech, to which, he didn't know either. He actually had to trace the wiring down to where Bingo and kab99 have there controls also. The reason I asked, is because, I thought this to be a strange location to place the controls. I actually thought that my unit had gone through about 2/3 down the line before somebody discovered it didn't have the genset ready option, so they just threw it in someplace close to the genset to save a couple bucks on wiring. I'm 6'5", so to get down that low, and reach all the way back in the cabinet to start/stop or read the meter is difficult at best. I guess it would have made to much sense to locate it along with all the other controls either in the guest closet as you walk in or on the column above the partition. Who comes up with these crazy ideas anyway?
Samiterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
I'm sure Keystone located the control in that cabinet based solely on cost vs convenience. The location is directly above the gen compartment and an easy install as it rolled down the assembly line.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote