Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2016, 01:09 PM   #1
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
down size TV DRW to SRW Diesel to GAS Ford ???

REV 4 to add and annotate.

I don't know if you remember us from some of the rallies. I haven't been to one in years Goshen and NE rallies.

I'm still a working stiff, for the next 5 years or so. Upgrade the montana is not likely with the single income and my wifes health problems, CFS, Blood Clots, Migraines and Seizures.
Currently a local trip requires a stop every hour to stretch legs and walk for her health. She hasn't worked since 1999 due to medical.
She has standing orders from her doctor to be able to get her INR done at any medical facility a few times per week depending on results. An infection can throw it out of wack and every other day is not out of the question. Our furthest trip has been a 4 day there and back to Myrtle Beach (3 weeks total) outside of a rally in Goshin Prior to everything since.

Normally NH to ME is the norm no more than 4hrs IF driving straight through. NOT going to change much in the short term without some major medical breakthroughs.

Anyway, in another thread it was mentioned the Ford plan's.
I am eligible for the x-plan being employed by MIT as a ford partner.
I currently tow less than a few weeks /yr a weekend or two per month never go away on a holiday weekend, off season is most likely or odd weekends. More like Wednesday call and ask if I can get a reservation because it happens to be a good outlook personally and weather wise.

You can see by my sig it is all vintage 2001/2003. Mostly my truck is a daily driver less than 20K/yr and less than 2K or 1K/yr towing with body rot daylight in door bottoms and electrical problems. Fuel Guage broke, Rear backup sensor broke, Transfer case sensor broke, U joints going, Oil Pan rot Other leaks and issues that need to be addressed.

Quite frankly if one of you want to submit my truck for an extreme makeover, or flip my ride or any frame off restoration these new england have taken their toll and the Television shows seem to work wonders on the trucks the overhaul. Even a magazine may want to rebuild my 2001 Veteran Plate Limited Edition Dually. Ha Ha not likely. But start the write in campaign or how about a gofundme sponsorship.

I want to purchase a 2017 using the x-plan and I was wondering your thoughts on, if you feel the plan is better than walking in off the street. I tried to do online at ford but they are still only listing 2016.
In addition I'm going to abandon the dually option and considering the diesel delete. From comments here, A 20 mile commute each way is not healthy for the newer Diesels with converters and DPF.

The spec's on the newer trucks even with gas motors soar over and above my 01 stock 7.3 dually HP and Torque, currently only 200K on the clock. But I have been having issues. Latest fix is how to fix your truck for a quarter. Yup it fixed my truck, but I only did one side. Good Youtube video on that for the 7.3's. But I'm always wondering what is next.
The repair cost for a one ton labor rates are higher, than other lesser vehicles and that is at my local awesome mechanic.
I'm currently experiencing electrical issues with the 2001.

I found a 2013 dually $50K locally with 20K on the clock but it seems high considering its almost 4 yrs old now and why so few miles over that life span. Just makes me suspicious and no 5er hitch either. But it has plow controls and push plates but no blade.
I can't justify spending over 50K at this point for a vehicle that will not last any longer than what I'm driving now. These NE winters are brutal with the salt on the roads and with the dually there isn't an automatic car wash within 30miles that will handle a dually, so salt washing is manual at a pull up bay.

I don't intend on traveling west of the Mississippi in the near short/long term. Yup its a dream to be a snow bird. But did I mention I'm a working stiff.

I'm chocking on anything more than 50K for a vehicle that will rot out before the end of life in snow country. I need it to commute daily.

The extra 8 or 9K for the motor doesn't make sense and the Diesel fluid plus the extra cost for diesel fuel. I don't see the payback with 6 quarts vs 15 quarts of oil each self change. The amount of towing I actually do and it seems less and less as each year progresses. Last year only one trip out and less than 200 mi total. The overall fuel costs daily not towing and commuting I'm not seeing the payback if it just rusts out and the old age failures.

Then I remember about all the people that had fuel corrosion issues and a 9 or 10K bill because the fuel pump exploded and destroyed their motor, not just here but RVnet and powerstroke forums.

I'm looking for the argument that my thought process is completely messed up. Not looking for how things will get better. Not looking for another GAS vs Diesel or 3/4 ton vs 1 ton. Just trying to rationalize my thinking publically.

So right now is the 2017 F250 or F350 4x4 XLT or Lariat maybe KR not platinum extended cab not crew cab I have now. 8'bed instead of the short bed I have now. Tow Package 5er prep and hitch (get rid of my Husky slider hitch).Upgrade the rear axle ratio maybe 410 vs the 3.73 to hook up my 2003 3255RL max 12.4K GVWR Montana.
Price difference between the two 350/250 is around 1500 but it may put me over what my conviction for payments will be acceptable to me NO more than 5yrs not 6 not 7 and that is firm.

Of course the old adage is pay me now or pay me later.
Currently my squat is less than 1 inch when hitched with the hitch either forward or slid back. NO difference and towing which I have mistakenly done in the slid back position makes no difference either. No push or pull from tractor trailers either way. Only when behind a tanker the wind buffeting can I feel the trailer behind me or chucking over bridges. Unsure if it is because the suspension is so stiff. Maybe the 250 will give a softer ride and smooth things out. I have nothing to compare it to.

Flack shield is up.

BTW: I do get a state inspection sticker. NH does not require diesel emissions so... The delete is an option but worth It at time of sale?? and warranty issues.

Scale 11.1K with FW tank nearly Full in VA on way to Myrtle 4 three week trip, after an overnight.

In the end it, may be sooner than any of us realize.

Soap box is now available:

Old 08-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It can be hard to justify a Diesel engine especially if you aren't pulling your camper a lot of miles or you are willing to go a little slower. A gas engine will pull your camper OK. You might look at a used truck but you will still have the high maintenance cost of a Diesel and if it breaks you are looking at an EXPENSIVE repair. I tell everybody if you don't need a Diesel don't buy one. Only you can decide whether you need a Diesel.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:10 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Your logic makes sense. Go for the gasser. 250/350 depends on the pin weight of your 3255. It seems to me the 250 rides softer than the 350.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by carl n susan

Your logic makes sense. Go for the gasser. 250/350 depends on the pin weight of your 3255. It seems to me the 250 rides softer than the 350.
Thank you for your response, It makes sense to me considering the amount of towing I do now and most likely will do in the future. If I have to put 8K into the gasser in the future it is no loss for the consequence of not getting the diesel again now. Plus I will have the extra fuel savings from not towing and commuting for the next 5 yrs and 100K miles.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:55 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have not kept up. What gas motor options does Ford now offer. Our V-10 pulled the 06 3400 fine on fairly level terrain but preformed poorly in the mountains.MPG was 7/8 at 62/65 in normal towing conditions and saw as low as 4mpg on hard pulls.

The V-10 did not work for us because we traveled all over the country in all kinds of terrain. It sounds like for the kind of travel you plan on doing the truck you are choosing will do fine.

We do have the Ford ESP plans for the diesel as a serious failure could be very expensive. We just turned 81K on the 08 Diesel with not a single problem. We did 30K with the 05 V-10 also without a single problem and they were hard miles.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:03 PM   #6
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Thanks Rich and Helen, I value your input and respect you opinion. Maybe we will see each other some day in the nearer future.
Chris

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

I have not kept up. What gas motor options does Ford now offer. Our V-10 pulled the 06 3400 fine on fairly level terrain but preformed poorly in the mountains.MPG was 7/8 at 62/65 in normal towing conditions and saw as low as 4mpg on hard pulls.

The V-10 did not work for us because we traveled all over the country in all kinds of terrain. It sounds like for the kind of travel you plan on doing the truck you are choosing will do fine.

We do have the Ford ESP plans for the diesel as a serious failure could be very expensive. We just turned 81K on the 08 Diesel with not a single problem. We did 30K with the 05 V-10 also without a single problem and they were hard miles.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
For you sounds like a 1 ton Gasser will be fine,Like Rich I had a V10 F350 Gasser with 425lbs of Torque and it had a really hard time on bigger grades and ROTTEN gas mileage BUT Like Rich I put a bunch of miles and have to go up Alot of steep grades ,If I was in your situation I would take a 1 ton Gasser no Problem they are alot less Expensive to buy and if they do break Alot cheaper to fix
Old 08-03-2016, 11:14 AM   #8
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
My best guess is I would have to put 10K into it to fix all the current issues doing most of the work myself and deal with the down time. And who knows what is next to break. It is a 2001 dually even the clear coating on the aluminum rims is gone and oxidised how much longer before they start to crack.

My last truck ended up with frame rot and a cross member was flapping in the breeze. I welded it but it was always iffy come inspection time.
I do most of my own work but if I'm in a jam time wise or other personal reasons and it ends up in the shop it is generally about 1K on average. Last one was front hub assembly failure on the interstate which took out the pads/ caliper and rotor along with the ABS sensor built in to the hub.

Even if I bought a mini 4x4 truck it would be 30K and then the 10K to fix the one I have now I'm at 40K and The problems will continue. I doubt this truck will pass inspection come September.
It is the metal that is flaking from the frame and a whole slew of electrical problems some of it is corrosion related. Did I mention that the oil pan is rotted too. I JB welded twice and ground down the surface rust cleaned with brake cleaner but there are still pin holes that crop up. Last week the blower quit. Power door locks no longer work.

Sometimes depending on the temperature outside. When I use the drivers door window control the Horn goes off and wont stop until I put it in neutral and shut the truck off to stop the horn (yup figure that one out)

Then I would be registering and insuring 3 vehicles.

I honestly thought of even looking into a used motorhome for 60-70K and I would still have to get a daily driver and a trailer to tow the daily driver behind the motorhome. Now I'm approaching the 100K mark and that is a used MH. She really wants one (so she thinks, she would be up walking around while I drive)
She is not that stable on her feet as it is and that just seems like more bruising when I take a corner or hit the brakes.

Currently I'm averaging 9.9 ~ 10 Mpg towing the Monty and 13.7 Mpg around town.

Factory spec new is 2001 7.3L IDI
250 @ 2,600 (auto trans) Horse Power
505 @ 1,600 (auto trans) Torque
4 speed automatic transmission

I haven't dyno checked but I'm sure with 200K on the clock. New injectors will be needed soon so there's another 1K or 2K not counting my labor or shop labor, and I could chip it but I'll still have all the electrical and mechanical problems.

From the Ford web site:
Horsepower 385 @ 5500 rpm (6.2L V8 gas engine)
405 @ 4500 rpm (6.2L V8 gas engine)

HP 440 @ 2800 rpm (6.7L Power Stroke™ Turbo Diesel)
Torque 860 @ 1600 rpm (6.7L Power Stroke™ Turbo Diesel)
Transmission TorqShift® 6-speed SelectShift Automatic™

So with the gas motor I would gain 130Horse but loose 100ftlb torque and I will change the gearing to get me closer to the Much higher RPM's with the gas motor maybe go with 4.30 vs the standard 3.73 gears if I were to get one off the dealers Lot I would not be able to spec out the gearing so I would have to order.

I'll have to make some immediate repairs to patch this truck for inspection while I wait on ordering one.

Questions are always good and thanks for your response.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RonD

Just my 2 cents, why not buy a new car since it's a every day driver and keep your existing trailer and truck, it really sounds like you don't use it enough at this time to make sense of a new truck, if your work requires a truck that changes things some
Old 08-04-2016, 12:58 PM   #9
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
My wife has a 2013 Honda CRV which we bought new. I've been driving it and I totally appreciate the newness and features that a new vehicle offers.
I realize I can upgrade the electronics. Even put in a new dash board panel to get rid of the stare at the same old stuff day after day. After 15 years it is time for upgrades or replacement.
I love the gadgets on the new ones. But in the long run it is just more to break.

I drove my truck today first time in a week because I have had a suspicion of another problem. There is currently a detour to a work site and it involves a pony path. I seriously expect to see the horse and buggy (stage coach) coming around the corner.

One of my detours had my friend Wayne with is motor home and me with my dually (nothing in tow) head to head on a road that is no more than 9 ft wide with rocks on both sides. I could feel confident driving down the center line. But with the twists and turns every 500' my speed is down to 10 or 15 mph for caution and evasive action.
Yup a real paved single wide horse path In New England Complete with rock walls on either side. It's all part of the charm and ambiance of new england. I have had to travel some roads that the branches barely clear the truck. Is there a minimum over head obstruction clearance?
Anyway after driving my truck today after a brake from it. I may reconsider and put the effort into fixing all the outstanding issues and address what I think is going to go next.

But first on my list is to get a good RV towing plann. Seems to be coach net vs good sam at this juncture on the board as far as public opinion. I've never had one.

There is still and option for the one at the ford dealer with 20K an 2013 dually diesel for 50K

The 900/month is not an issue it is the fact that the expense is so ridiculous in comparison to the life expectancy.
Then wondering about the lack of Torque with a gasser. I found this web site.
http://www.lainefamily.com/hp.htm
This seems to make sense. Unless one of you can debunk it?

Being 55 now. If I purchase a new Truck. It will be my LAST if a diesel.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:27 AM   #10
Clays390
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17212
Sorry I'm a little late chiming in on this discussion. Had to wait till we got somewhere with better Wi-Fi. We can't speak to the Ford Gasser as we have the Chevy 3500HD double cab dually 2wd w/6.0 Gas. We used the same rational as you when we ordered the truck before we started out last October. So far we are very satisfied with our decision. We have been from Maine to Florida and back with trips to Western North Carolina and Vermont. Mileage has been 7.5 to 8.5 when towing and 14 to 15 when not. We have no problem maintaining 65 MPH (self imposed limit)on the Interstates. Towing in the mountains has not been an issue either. We can keep up with traffic and maintain 60 MPH (4000 RPM). We special ordered the truck, used the 2015 GM rebate as well as their Veteran discount. Final price to us was under 37K. Would do it again with no hesitation.
Clays390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #11
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Good luck with your search. I understand the need to maximize the $$$ spent vice capability required.
Whatever you decide, make safety your #1 priority
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote