Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #1
miamogue
Established Member

M.O.C. #17220
Air conditioner addition

Does anyone know if the bedroom vent which is wired for a second air conditioner is connected to the duct system in the camper? The unit is a 2015 Montana High Country model 305RL. I want to add a second air and don't know if is ducted on not. Any help please.

miamogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
On my 2006 I could go either way depending on which inside trim package I ordered for the new A/C. I elected not to duct it and just use it as a dump. If I had ordered the ducting interior trim I would have removed a blocking flap in the existing duct work. In hind sight I wish I had ducted it. Jim
Old 07-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I think all the new models have duct work there, but I'm not positive. I'd pull the vent and look in there.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #4
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
No, it is not ducted. I checked into doing this also. I didn't disassemble anything to look for myself, but the my dealership said no, and then they checked with Keystone who also said "no, it could not be opened up".

There is a duct close by, but from what I can tell it would be major surgery. The ACs provided with the units are all dump air units with output vents that distribute air below the ceiling.
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:12 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
In my '06 unit I disassembled the vent area where the 2nd A/C would get installed and while there was wiring to a circuit breaker, with too much effort I could tap into the vent. I say too much because while I haven't installed one yet, when I ever do install a 2nd air, I won't duct it in favor of the air just dropping into the bedroom area (foot of the bed) and let the cold air gather in the BR and drop into the kitchen area. If need be I would find a way block the two bedroom vents from the other (LR) A/C to provide more air to the kitchen and living rooms when the rear A/C is on, along with the new BR unit in the front.

I think this makes for an inexpensive install that I can easily do myself. If you don't care about money (someone else installs) then use the ducts since most times the ducts can be overridden, but I'm not sure the effort to tap into the ducting when there's another A/C already using them. Maybe the installer blocks the front air ducting from the rear ducting, but I'd rather be able to run the rear LR A/C solo to cool the whole rig when it's not terribly hot.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:48 AM   #6
miamogue
Established Member

M.O.C. #17220
Thank you for the information. I had my doubts that there was a place to connect to the ducting. It seems as though a lot of things I see other people talking about that they have on their Montana's just isn't included in the High Country models. I will just plan on getting a non ducted air unit. Again thank you.
miamogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #7
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
check out question on the same model April 8 this year. replies I received said ducting was there and customer service said yes also but my dealer had already installed it but did not attach to ducts. I haven't used it yet to see how well it cools but it sure is noisy. 2014 305RL
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:27 AM   #8
Campntwins
Established Member

M.O.C. #17468
Our 2015 HC305RL's paper work states "wire and frame for ducted 2nd A/C in bedroom". It's part of the "Moving to Montana Package" that I think all 2015 HCs have. Hope I'm correct, we are having the 2nd A/C installed in September.
Campntwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:55 AM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
On my 2011 that was prewired for the front A/C (I installed a second A/C myself) all I would have had to do to connect it to the ceiling ducts was remove a piece of panneling and a bunch of tape that had been used to block the opening to the duct. I elected not to connect to the ductwork. While helping inatall another A/C on a 2013 Montana the same was true ... prewired for front A/C and also had immediate access to the ceiling ductwork when we removed a blocker taped on to it.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:50 AM   #10
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Campntwins

Our 2015 HC305RL's paper work states "wire and frame for ducted 2nd A/C in bedroom". It's part of the "Moving to Montana Package" that I think all 2015 HCs have. Hope I'm correct, we are having the 2nd A/C installed in September.
Campntwins - let me know how this goes. I wanted a ducted unit instead of a dump unit, but got nowhere, even though I heard from one Keystone salesman at the Hershey, PA RV show that it could be ducted. Since then every other response has been negative.

BTW - I looked at the original brochure I got on the 305RL when we were shopping, and it states "Wire and frame for 2nd A/C in bedroom", but it does not say ducted. Of course, that may have changed as they sometimes do. My brochure is dated 2/14.

Yes, the dump unit is noisy. In fact the main unit, if on high fan is rather noisy.

Please post here (or PM me) and let us know when you get your 2nd air as to how it needed to be done. Thanx.
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:34 AM   #11
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I guess to simplify the answer to the question ... most all units are basically built the same ... just different lengths and more or fewer slides. The two duct runs in the ceiling are located the same place on all units ... either side of the center skylights inline with the existing ceiling air vents. When you remove the interior part of the bedroom skylight, you can see the ductwork inside the attic. Most times they already cut a hole in the duct and placed a patch over it should a second air be added. Until you go to the whisper quiet A/C's with the return grills in the edges of the ceiling ... even a ducted front A/C will be noisy more so because the ceiling is lower in the bedroom than in the living room. We find it makes good "white noise" for sleeping in a noisy campground.

On Edit ... I see you have a HC ... can't imagine late models would be that much different, but perhaps so ... the duct work has to run forward into the bedroom for the main A/C to cool it ... it has to be there I'd think.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #12
Campntwins
Established Member

M.O.C. #17468
Bama Camper - I double-checked the wording on my paper work, it was dated December 2014. I'll keep you posted when we add the 2nd one. Our previous RV had two ACs. The bedroom AC was not ducted and cooled quickly. It was loud but not near as the one in our main area now.

Our RV is at the dealer's now. We included the loud AC to be checked. Anxious to see response.

Diesel Guy - Thank you for your posts, we've learned much from you just in the short time we've been on this forum.

Campntwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:29 PM   #13
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
Currently in eastern Wa and the bedroom duct air is not adequate. Will ne getting a Mach 8 for height reasons. Not sure I want to attempt installation. Just going to have the air dump in bedroom. No way I could survive in Az when I retire. Great info from everyone.
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #14
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
You wont know unless u take the cover off and look. Our Montana is a 2009. Called Keystone the rep took my ser no and looked it up. Said it was not pre wired or ducted. Went and checked. Yes it was wired and ducted for 2 nd air. Had the 2nd air installed a year ago ducted and are very happy with it. If u duct it, u can run the bedroom during day and livingroom one during night and u never hear it sleeping or watching tv unless u need both. Ducted is the way to go if u can.

Also someone on the MOC recomended we buy a 15,000 btu. Was not that much difference in price. We did go with the 15,000. We have no problems cooling our unit in 90 + heat and no shade at the ocean.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:09 AM   #15
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
Cdaniels, thanks and good info. The living room air is loud so I take your point of view seriously and will check it out.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:55 PM   #16
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Mike where at in Eastern WA are you? I live in the Tri-Cities and it has been a hot summer. I had double AC on my necessity list when shopping for new RV.

Tom Marty
Old 08-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #17
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Our 15K unit in the living room was very noisy until I closed, almost all the way, the dump louver. This forces the air to the round vents in the ceiling, still allows a little air at the rear where we sit, and we can hear the TV without having it cranked up all the way. In the bedroom, we just leave the dump louver fully open, and like was already said, have gotten used to the white noise. We set the fan to low so we don't have the unit running on and off all night, just the compressor running as needed.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:20 PM   #18
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
Currently in Moses Lake. Heading to Newport Wa and then to Idaho. Always come east in summer because I know the weather will be good. Second trip with my High Country. First time in heat.