Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
mach111
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13142
Will this tool box fit?

I want to install a tool storage box in the bed of my TV 2012 Dodge 3500 4 x 4 long bed truck which is factory specs as to tires suspension,etc. My Monty has 6 1/2 to 6 3/4 inch clearance from bed rail to Monty. I could raise the B & W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch but the Monty would be out of level thereby transferring axle weight. I am currently not having any problems with Monty coming close to bed rails.

The box I want to install is a UWS Black color measuring 61 X 25 x 21. This box sets on floor of truck bed not resting on bed rails. The 21 inch is the height of the box. This height will be 1/2 to 3/4 inch above bed rail. I am concerned with the box being above the bed rail even slightly at sometime the Monty will strike the box. I always try to exercise caution when entering or exiting places but accidents do happen.

I am asking for opinions or your own experiences on this subject matter. I would really like to have this large box for storage since I use the truck for work and towing. I have noticed other TV boxes do not come above bed rails.

Here's a link for box: http://www.truckcustomizers.com/prod...BC-60-BLK.html

mach111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
In theory it should work, but I didn't take any chances mine is just below the rails.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Here is the box I designed and built for my truck which is identical to yours, I have towed my 3402RL over 6000 miles with it in the bed and have had no problems.

The box is about 2" above the rail and is very similar in size to what you are proposing to use. I think you will be just fine.

Where I must back my Monty into at the S&B requires some maneuvering and I do not come close to it.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Typically if all is level a tool box above the rails no more than 2" should be okay (leaving about 4" to 4/5" of clearance. I have a tool box that is pretty much level with the bed rails. The only time to be worried is when the ground is not level AND you are turning. This is when there's a risk with the angles of things like the underside of the fiver to contact the part of the tool box that is above the bed.

When I towed professionally, one of their requirements was that no part of the tool box was allowed above the bed rails (mine is not), so you probably won't be able to tow commercially, but be careful when you are towing for yourself or your friends or trying to help someone else. You could be liable only if some damage occurs.

If you haven't bought the box yet, you might try looking at tool boxes from DeeZee. It's the brand I got. They have boxes that fit right at the top of the rails at either 24" deep or 18" deep. I went with the 24" for increase storage. It might even be less expensive (cuz it's shorter?) They were 60" wide.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
My box is one of those that has the wings that rest on the bed rails but it is the short type where the box is only 2 inchs above the bed rails. Had it on a short bed and now my long bed and never came close to hitting it. Now I also have a Champion generator that sits in the bed between the hitch and tool box. In Texas we do have some roads and lot entrances that have pretty good dips for the heavy rains we get, but we don't do any off roading lol lol...
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #6
mach111
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13142
Thanks for all of the input. Art, the Dee Zee is .053 the UWS is .063 probably not that big of a difference but I think I will stay with the UWS. Have seen several UWS and looked closely at the product. Ed, I like your setup w/gen set. Nice! I have realized in last few years that we do not live in a perfect world so we can only do the best we can with what we have.
mach111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:25 AM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I feel you will not have a problem since the box is in the front bed of the truck. If on the rear a different story. For you to have your box hit under your fifth wheel you would have to be on a steep slope and over 75 degrees turned from your trailer where you probably do not want to be to start with.

I did what you are doing on my 03 truck. Later I learned I wanted a retractable tonaeu instead of the canvas roll up. So with the 2012 truck I dumped my 63 x 19 x 30 tool box up front and went with a Truck Cover USA retractable. I do have a lower 10" high tool box in the rear. Just making the comment so you can digest before you commit.

Good luck and safe travel.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:43 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
True mach111, the UWS is 20% thicker walled (and heavy enough), but in my case I went for lightweight and therefore cheap and was able to easily lift the box and put it in place (Four self-tapping screws into the bed). I was more concerned about weight than function. Hopefully all the boxes look the same strength from the outside.

H. John, do you have 10" high all the way across the rear? When I towed for a living, I wasn't sure that the extra height would interfere with a gooseneck. Fortunately this never came up since all tows were bumper pulls and fifth wheels.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I don't have your exact truck, but I had a UWS black crossover tool box. Best tool box I ever had! It only stuck up about 1.5 inches above rail but I thought it was too much and replaced it with an inside-the-bed-box. I just worried about those times going through a strange RV park and coming across a large dip in the road.