Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
View this morning looking out our back window

We saw these go past our window from the patio area this morning. It isn’t a very good photo because I took it with my cel phone and I cropped it down to see it better. We saw a total of 3 adult turkeys and I counted 15 chicks. You may see some of them if you look really close.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I hope you are grain feeding the gobblers, getting them ready for Thanksgiving. Yummmm
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

I hope you are grain feeding the gobblers, getting them ready for Thanksgiving. Yummmm

That is a thought but it never entered my mind. People have told me to set out a salt block for the deer but we see plenty enough without it.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Lot's of turkey's hunted out here. Not all that tasty in my opinion. I'll stick with the commercial bird for the holiday table.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Lot's of turkey's hunted out here. Not all that tasty in my opinion. I'll stick with the commercial bird for the holiday table.
OMG, Dick, I wish I could fix some wild turkey for you. If fixed right you'll be a fan forever. I have a mixture I purchase for fish and wild turkey melts in your mouth fixed with it. It's a mixture of many different spices and the only place I have ever found it is in the farm store in Bolivar Missouri. We buy several bags whenever were are back home.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:38 AM   #6
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I shot my first turkey last fall. Now I am not allowed to shop in the Publix
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:21 AM   #7
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
I plank my turkey.. split them and tack them to a cedar board. Set in front of a roaring fire until they reach temperature.. remove the bird and toss it.. then eat the plank.
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:15 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Neat view, it's great to be close to the wilds. Enjoy for us, and thanks for the picture.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Where are you, Bill and Donna? I have some pictures taken Memorial day weekend in 2009 at 1000 Trails Rancho Oso in the mountains above Santa Barbara, CA. You'll notice it's a lot hotter and drier here. I really love the green in your area!

So why do us city folks take turkey pictures? Because most turkeys I see are naked and prepped in the fridge at the local grocery store wrapped in plastic and this is an unusual way for us to see them.

Why did the turkeys cross the road?... There was a large family(ies) of turkeys wandering the campground. The brown truck and satellite dish are at my campsite.

And more are coming! All told there were five or six adult females or young males and probably 10 to 12 chicks heading to our campsites. No Adult males.

They crossed to get some shade! That's my BIL's Everest in the adjacent campsite.

They stuck around for quite some time. We didn't bug them and they didn't bug us. It's very refreshing seeing wild animals in their element especially when they don't attack you. Much better than in a zoo or on the dinner plate. But if God didn't want us to eat them He wouldn't have made them taste good.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Art, we’re only 3 miles from where we used to live. We are close to US 23 but out of the city limits. We are located in the North East part of the state of KY.

Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Bill
I have a trail camera close to my home. When I checked it one afternoon this spring I couldn't believe what I had, over 140 pictures of a strutting gobbler. What are the chances of setting up a camera where a gobbler will decide to strut 2 mornings in a row?
If you would like to see them feed them wheat in the edge of the woods where you saw the turkeys. The deer have a hard time eating it. The crows will eat it but they are easy to discourage. Shoot one and hang him up in a tree. His buddies will get the message real quick.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Bill
I have a trail camera close to my home. When I checked it one afternoon this spring I couldn't believe what I had, over 140 pictures of a strutting gobbler. What are the chances of setting up a camera where a gobbler will decide to strut 2 mornings in a row?
If you would like to see them feed them wheat in the edge of the woods where you saw the turkeys. The deer have a hard time eating it. The crows will eat it but they are easy to discourage. Shoot one and hang him up in a tree. His buddies will get the message real quick.
Lynwood

I might just have to look into one of those cameras. Never really gave it any thought but I’ve seen several photos where a friend of mine had one up. Post some photos on this thread if you like, we’ll make it a wild animal/nature thread.

Deer, turkey, rabbits, snakes, ground hogs, you name it it’s probably around the area. About a mile from where I live or possibly even less there have been bear sighted.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #13
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
We are over populated in Ct. with turkeys. I have had as many as 40 in my back yard at one time but a fence and a rottie in the back yard seem to keep them away.
However the front yard is open and I counted 31 turkeys at one time last year. Wild turkey is mostly dark meat but when prepared correctly it really taste good. I
only had it once but the sauce seemed to be what really made it tasty. I was totally shocked to find out they sleep in trees at night. I watched them fly one or two at a time into the trees behind my house to spend the night and fly down in the morning. They perched themselves 20-30+ feet up in the trees. I guess that answers the question "can turkeys fly?"
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:43 AM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Bill put up a trail camera and you will be surprised at what you will see. You will probably in time see all the common stuff along with coyotes, bear and bobcat. You will look forward to checking your camera everyday. Get one with a medal case. Bears are curious and WILL come to investigate and take your camera with them.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #15
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Heres a recent photo.
You can actually see them in this one!