Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
PARKING ON AN INCLINE

Today we stopped at an RV resort in Lake-Tahoe & our site is on a slight incline. I set my chocks & disconnected my TV with no problems.
Then my wife asked if there's a way to set the 5th wheel brakes as a added safety factor. That's a valid question.
So my question here is could I pull the pin on the break-away switch to set the brakes ?? Would doing this cause any problems ?? And, has anyone out there done this on inclines as added protection ??
In advance, thanks for your replys.

Larry-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
You may burn the magnets out. Also the brakes will only be applied if the wheels are turning as the magnets attach to the drum and pull the brakes on. I believe you will do more harm than good.
I would just chock all 4 wheels.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Nope... I've heard pulling out the brake cable is not a good idea because it keeps the brakes engaged and discharges your battery pretty good. I don't know what it does to the magnets since you aren't moving but I'd take heed to what awaywego says.

What kind of chocking did you do to the tires? If it was X-chocks, CHECK THEM OFTEN, because as the tires cool down, they shrink just enough to loosen them. Ask me how I know (and we were on an incline). I highly recommend both X-shocks and (heavy duty) triangular chocks. Some triangular chocks have a place where you can drive a stake behind them, too, but only if you are on the right terrain. This should be enough and DO BOTH SIDES. I have four triangular chocks. I would use all four on the same side of the tires. Along with the X-chocks I have been happy with this.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:07 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I have used X chocks and regular chocks at the same time so I felt better about it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:26 AM   #5
pappy65
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10842
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Nope... I've heard pulling out the brake cable is not a good idea because it keeps the brakes engaged and discharges your battery pretty good. I don't know what it does to the magnets since you aren't moving but I'd take heed to what awaywego says.

What kind of chocking did you do to the tires? If it was X-chocks, CHECK THEM OFTEN, because as the tires cool down, they shrink just enough to loosen them. Ask me how I know (and we were on an incline). I highly recommend both X-shocks and (heavy duty) triangular chocks. Some triangular chocks have a place where you can drive a stake behind them, too, but only if you are on the right terrain. This should be enough and DO BOTH SIDES. I have four triangular chocks. I would use all four on the same side of the tires. Along with the X-chocks I have been happy with this.
Thanks for posting this. I use the X chocks and have noticed several times how they loosen, but never realized the tires shrink when they cool. I will start checking them after we have been parked long enough that I know tires are cool.
pappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Pappy, that's only my theory. When I first set them up, I crank them down pretty good, but every 15 to 30 minutes (depending on the incline), I go out and check them and they WILL be loose. I attribute it to some possible shrinkage from the tires (and the weather) cooling down. It's not much but it makes a difference. Then I'll check them one last time before retiring for the evening. After that, they seem to stay tight for the rest of the trip. But if the weather gets colder I do go out and check once again.

I can't figure out any other reason since it's pretty hard to imagine the screw action between these chocks shouldn't move that much or these chocks would be worthless. I also wonder if moving around in the trailer could force something, but after a day or so of tightening these down and they'll stay in place, so my vote is about the environmental reasons. For these reasons I also use triangular chocks too, but they don't prevent trailer movement at all (which the X-chocks seem better for this).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
pappy65
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10842
Art,I do think there is something to the tire shrinkage. When I notice the X chocks have moved is when I hook up to leave a location. I back into the hitch, raise front legs and then remove chocks. Many times when I go to remove them they have moved. I think what is happening is they loosen initially and when I back into the hitch the pressure rotates the tire slightly. I will definetly start checking them in the future. I have also learned to put the hex nut that you tighten and losen them with down, so the wrench will not hit trailer trim.This happens when the tire rotate slightly. Over the last 30 years of trailering, I have used many different methods to block the wheels, home made chocks, one out of old scissor jack that I welded expanded metal to, rocks, logs, but I have to say I like the X chocks the best.
pappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've been on some pretty good slopes and just chock in front of and behind the tires and then add between wheel chocks (similar to the x-chocks) for additional stability. We do that even when on a level site.

If I put those between wheel chocks in place when the tires are still pretty warm then I have to go out later and tighten them up. Sometimes they'll nearly fall out after the tires cool and shrink. Sometimes I'll also take a rubber mallet and pound the triangular chocks tighter into place for the same reason.

I do the same on putting the nut down to avoid hitting the fender skirt.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #9
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
If your Montana has the level up system, ground all 6 jacks manually before disconnecting and initiating the auto level. With all the jacks down your rig will go nowhere. I also rebook with all the jacks down and then hit auto retract. Don't use chocks anymore.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote