Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Bargaining for Rates

I know that bargaining is not something that Americans do a lot of. We pretty much ask for the price and pay it, if willing, or move on if not. I'm increasingly wondering why I don't do it at campgrounds.

Now that it's fall (up north) we are once again finding ourselves in largely empty campgrounds. It's also true that many of these empty parks continue to charge summer rates and/or inflated rates. I wonder why I am paying top dollar to a business without customers or amenities worth the charge.

Do any of you bargain at check in? If you do are you successful? If you don't why are you holding back?

pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:53 AM   #2
Rancher Will
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11227
Since we have RV'Ed for over 50 years, we often stay at Campgrounds where we have been before. In fact some of the Campgrounds managers and employees know us by name, having stayed with them numerous times over the years.

We are Life members of Passport, Good Sam, KOA, and we always get their discounts. Also, expecially in those campgrounds where we are repeat customers, we always ask for a free upgrade when the best sites are available (they usually are) and we almost always get either a free upgrade for an additional discount. Some of the Campgrounds just give us the free upgrade without our even asking now. There are some campgrounds, where we are known, that give us a campsite for our Montana for the same price as tent sites, just because they know us and know that we are repeat customers.

We like to make friends with Campground Managers and owners and always visit even at first time camping at one place. For Example, we stopped over night at the RV Park in Vale, Oregon a month ago and learned that new owners now have the park. We mentioned that we had been previous customers numerous times with the previous owners and without our asking, the new owners offered us double discount. We assured them that we will be back again.
Rancher Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Paul. answering your question, I always ask for consideration for a lesser price on almost everything where the person I'm talking to can make such a decision. I learned many years ago in some college class about supply and demand and to ask the merchant, etc for a lesser price or cost for their good or service. I am respectful and courteous and can accept NO for an answer as well as Yes.

Today 10% in these tough economic times is not a great discount and more should be offered. My opinion only. So why not ask for it.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I usually ask for a military discount. I get one about 50% of the time. It's a good feeling to have merchants recognize my service. I try to do repeat business with those who offer this consideration. Even my local Autozone and Lowes cut me a break.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
When supply is higher than demand, we (I) ask for discounted rates, especially during the week. If the nightly cost is already so low (because of Passport America) that it may not cover the electric, I don't ask. I've always figured that if my direct costs are covered, then anything I could get to cover my indirect costs is better than the alternative!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:14 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Depends on the situation, but when I think I may be able to get a discount, I bargain.
In Livinstone Mt. I asked for a discount on our RV space rental, I got $5.00 off. In Missoula here yesterday, I bought Sue a dress, I got 10% off that I wouldn't have without asking. In return, I gave the shop owner A/C tips that will save her money and keep customers cooler and in the shop longer. Win for me, win for her.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Good things go with the asking. I always say, "If YOU don't ask, YOU not get". The merchants know that if they treat the RV'er honestly and with a few discounts, that RV'er will pass his name along. So a win win there for both. Its almost like asking if the soda or tea refills are free. Some merchants expect you to ask for discount availabilty. So don't be shy, they are not shy to take full price if you don't ask, so good luck asking. Same goed for car rental lower rates with an upgrade, or hotels with better smrnities at a lower rate.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:10 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The worse you can get for asking is a "No."
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:10 AM   #9
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I don't know what the profit margin is for a typical campground so I wouldn't know what a reasonable discount would be. We now have RV's with multiple air conditioners, microwaves, water heaters and televisions that eat up a lot of electricity yet the rates have gone up rather slowly over the years. Up here in the Northeast the camping season is limited so they have to make their money while they can I guess. I usually will compare a given rate with other rates in the area and if they are all roughly the same I figure i'm getting a fair shake. If the a particular campground's rates are a lot higher than the average rate in the area I will wonder why and decide if there are enough added ammenities to make it worth the price. If not, I go elsewhere. I've been in some tourist places where rates are all over the map with no significant differences in what they offer. I always ask for the Good Sam discount but other than that I don't ask. Maybe I should. When compared to a motel/hotel I feel I am still getting the most for my money at a campground.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote