Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2010, 07:13 AM   #1
BusyBees
Established Member

M.O.C. #1192
Mountaineer GFI problem

I have lost power to my bathroom GFI so it is out along with all the other outlets on the same circuit. I have checked every switch box, outlet, breaker, and fuse, without finding the problem. I am assuming the problem lies in a connection hiddin behind a wall, floor, or ceiling.

Since Keystone has no clue where the wires and connections are located my solution is to run a new wire from the breaker panel to the GFI.

My question is: there is a breaker marked with what appears to be GFX. Does anyone on this forum have a similar breaker on their panel and is this breaker dedicated to the GFI? I have a 30 amp panel/converter.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

BusyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
I have a breaker on our Mountaineer marked GFX and every time I plug something in the outside recepticle it trips not sure if it is also tied to the bathroom recepticle or not.
jliveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
This may not apply to your problem but there is a junction box on our Mountaineer under the big slide and in inclement weather it will fill with water and the slide will not have power. I don't know how the water gets in but it fills right up. I now take the cover off before I run the slide out if we are traveling in the rain.

New cover, new gasket, lots of silicone sealant, and still fills up.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:33 AM   #4
BusyBees
Established Member

M.O.C. #1192
Thanks for the posts...

...the outside plug is on GFI circuit and is now dead since we can't get power to the GFI....if the GFI clicks off when you use the outside plug there must be a ground fault in the outside plug or the line to it

...thanks for suggesting the switch box. I found one under each slide with one live, one dead, and both dry. I had read about the boxes filling with water in other posts but mine was ok.

...going to try the repair today. Just not sure about which breaker to connect the new line to....I'll post when/if things get fixed.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:55 AM   #5
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
You might try replacing the GFCI outlet first? They get weak, sometimes.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:22 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Try taking a hair drier outside and using it on the outside outlet. we have had a problem on that outlet when we got it wet. Usually when we had a heavy fog and the lid up with a plug in it. The GFI popped in the bathroom and until I dried the outside outlet out it didn't work. once it was dry I reset the GFI and it stayed on...Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:52 AM   #7
BusyBees
Established Member

M.O.C. #1192
Problem fixed: I ran a new wire from the breaker panel using the breaker marked GFX...a really close inspection showed the X was a badly written I so this was the correct circuit. Ran the wire out the back of the panel into the garage and up into the back of the sink to the GFI outlet. Once connected everything worked and all outlets tested just fine.

So...the problem wasn't any of the other plugs and lights as they were downstream of the GFI. The problem was in the wire providing power to the GFI. Since that wire is now disconnected at the panel and the GFI the problem area, although hidden , is now dead.

thanks for your posts...much appreciated
Old 01-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Does your outside plug have a gfi breaker built in? This Montana does not but our prior Montana did. And it popped from water running down the electrical cord from awning lights.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote