Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
Olberc

M.O.C. #9911
2008 3000RK Propane problem

We recently purchased a used 2008 3000RK and have a problem with the propane not working on the drivers side tank. After looking it over I found that there is a normal two stage regulator installed on the driver side tank before the tank change valve and then also a regulator on the passenger side after the tank change valve. This means that passenger side tank has one regulator and it works, and the driver side tank has two regulators in line and does not work.

Is this a normal setup for this modal trailer or has someone potentially added a second regulator to the drivers side? It seems there should only be one regulator??

I appreciate any comments on this subject!

Olberc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
My 2009 has two regulators. One with the change over valve, drivers side, and another on the passenger side. The one on the change over valve sets the proper pressure for use in the camper. The one on the passenger side is a 15 pound regulator. The 15 pound regulator was added because of a new requirement to lower the pressure in the hose/pipe going across the front of the camper.
That's what my dealer told me. Safety versus complexity.
Yours sounds different yet and it may be a good idea to take it to a dealer to get it right.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
I have the same unit.. We bought this unit new.. I have one red regulator on the drivers side and a regulator after the tank change valve on the passenger side.. I have had no problems with the propane so far..
lfw..
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Have you tried swapping propane tanks to make sure both release propane. The new bottles have a escape safety valve in them. If it gets activated it will not release propane.

To release this valve put a piece of flat wood on the ground or road. raise the tank about 18" to 2' and drop it on the wood. That should jar the valve free.

Hope this helps.

Others have reported the red regulator has failed and have replaced it with a US made one. They are expensive. I did not find that post so hopefully they will come along.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
A possible solution has been mentioned here on the forum. I had the same problem you mentioned. shut of the valve then reopen very very very slowly. That works for me. good luck.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
My red regulator went bad, took it out and I am careful to open the valve very slow. The regulator was there in order to slow the release of propane in to the line going across the trailer. It takes a large volunm of gas to fill the line when empty, enough to shut off the tank safety value if not opened slowly.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:50 AM   #7
Olberc

M.O.C. #9911
Thanks for the help everyone. As I look at the regulator on the drivers side, it appears to be a normal two stage regulator. How can I tell if the regulator is a 15lb regulator as posted above? Is it marked somehow??

Old 01-31-2010, 07:50 AM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
There are a number of posts on this subject. Here is a cut and paste of a two posts I recently made:

"We had the same problem, contacted Marshall, the company that makes the regulator and the change over valve. The POC at Marshall is Ed Lee, 800-877-2495 X2415. He is very knowledgeable and helpful...I think he's the guy that designed the new regulator. He said the problem is not the change over valve, but the red regulator that came as oem, and told us to get a Marshall C6121. The OEM is a Marshall GR618, 18PSI, it's red and located on the right (curb side) tank. The replacement is the Marshall C6121, 30PSI.

The OEM regulator is not strong enough to make the auto changeover valve work. The C6121 fixes the problem.

I got mine at www.rvwholesalers.com, $34 plus s&h."

If you have any questions, contact Ed Lee...he's very helpful.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:39 AM   #9
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
If you didnt get a oweners manual you can go on the Keystone web site and download the manual. On page 43 they describe the regulation / split bottle system and the "excessive flow" feature which could be part of your problem.
It also describes the manual switch over valve. Since the split tank system delivers gas from one tank at a time it has to be set to the correct position.
Try this link.
http://www.keystonerv.com/?page=service
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
Olberc

M.O.C. #9911
Thank you for all of the help everyone. I did find the problem today, as discussed in the earlier posts, the drivers side regulator is a "red" 18psi regulator. For some reason, the regulator that was installed on the drivers side of our new previously owned 2008 Montana was a standard two stage propane regulator. This was causing all kinds of problems with venting leaks and the gas system shutting down. Today I purchased the red 18 psi regulator for only 18 dollars at our local RV supply house and installed it. The system is working perfectly now!

I appreciate all of your help with this!

Old 02-01-2010, 03:51 AM   #11
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

There are a number of posts on this subject. Here is a cut and paste of a two posts I recently made:

"We had the same problem, contacted Marshall, the company that makes the regulator and the change over valve. The POC at Marshall is Ed Lee, 800-877-2495 X2415. He is very knowledgeable and helpful...I think he's the guy that designed the new regulator. He said the problem is not the change over valve, but the red regulator that came as oem, and told us to get a Marshall C6121. The OEM is a Marshall GR618, 18PSI, it's red and located on the right (curb side) tank. The replacement is the Marshall C6121, 30PSI.

The OEM regulator is not strong enough to make the auto changeover valve work. The C6121 fixes the problem.

I got mine at www.rvwholesalers.com, $34 plus s&h."

If you have any questions, contact Ed Lee...he's very helpful.
winter texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:55 AM   #12
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
Had same problem. Talked with Ed Lee at Marshall gas last week and he said the red regulator was a problem. Actually does not provide enough pressure for the application. Recommend a C6121 which is a 20 psi.
winter texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:19 AM   #13
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Olberc

Thank you for all of the help everyone. I did find the problem today, as discussed in the earlier posts, the drivers side regulator is a "red" 18psi regulator. For some reason, the regulator that was installed on the drivers side of our new previously owned 2008 Montana was a standard two stage propane regulator. This was causing all kinds of problems with venting leaks and the gas system shutting down. Today I purchased the red 18 psi regulator for only 18 dollars at our local RV supply house and installed it. The system is working perfectly now!

I appreciate all of your help with this!

I don't want to burst your bubble...but the red regulator IS THE PROBLEM. As noted above, it will eventually go bad and you'll have to get the C6121.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote