Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Oak Table refinish question

Hello folks,
First of all I am an accomplished woodworker. And, I have put on hundreds of fine furniture finishes over the years. However, curently I have a little prob that maybe someone can help with. I have an 06 Monty and I decided to refinish the dining room oak table [finish was peeling]. So after stripping and sanding I am ready to "match" the finish color. And after mixing and applying every stain and toner formula imaginable -I still can't match the exact shade over the bare oak.
So, to be clear here -I am not refering to the final top clear coat-I only need help from anyone who may know the stain or toner color [specific name and brand] used on all the tables and oak cabinets in at least the 05,06 Montys.
Thanks for any help.

Jim in Folsom, CA

Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Golden Oak from Minwax......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Bob had the same problem on new cabinet doors on our 2955 (not being able to match the color) until he used clear oil based varnish which gave him the exact right color. He says do not use water based varnish. It does not give a color. Hope this helps.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
delete
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Believe the 06 color is different than the 09?? when did they change from the golden oak tones??

Gotta watch if you get red oak wood or white oak, makes a difference in the finish color too.

Good luck with your projects Jim.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:49 AM   #6
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Thanks for your help folks. I think I will que off of the response to contact Adorn. Since I have tried all possible mixtures with close but not perfect results. I actually have many years experience with mixing and toning and spraying [due to my woodshop projects], but this Monty finish seems tricky [put me to the test]. Funny thing, since it was oak wood I was pretty sure [going in] that matching would be a breeze. Wrong! Anyway, once again ya'll have helped me. Come Monday morn I will be "on the horn to Adorn!"
Take care,

Jim and Kathy in Folsom, CA
Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote