Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2009, 06:57 AM   #1
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
WASHING AWNING QUESTION

I need to clean my awning and I can't scrub well while extended, I have a long brush for truck trailers but need to bear harder
[in-side & out-side].....any advice?

cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
If you open the awning, and then remove the supports from the fiver, you can let the awning hang straight down. You should then be able to wash the outside pressing it against the side of the fiver, gently. The inside will be more of a challenge. Rub more often with less pressure, and prepare to get wet. A suba mask would be helpful, lol. I washed the awning on our previous tt this way and it made a big difference. This year I'll do our new/used fiver. Hope this helps.
beakyfudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I read about washing the awning very wetly with soap or a cleaner and then rolling it up to let it soak an hour or so before scrubbing. Supposedly this will loosen the dirt and make the scrubbing easier. I plan on doing it this way this year.
Someone who has done this will probably be along to inform you.
Good luck.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cmp-shooter

I need to clean my awning and I can't scrub well while extended, I have a long brush for truck trailers but need to bear harder
[in-side & out-side].....any advice?
I use the same technique as beakyfudd, and it works very well. Try using some Dawn dishwashing liquid with some bleach on a soft brush to get the hard stains off.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I wash the top 1/4th while standing on the roof, then do the rest with a long handle brush from the ground.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
First thing I unroll the awning and spary each side with Simple Green, then roll it back up. I use a pump garden sprayer to spray on the Simple Green. Let sit for about a 1/2 hour, then open it back up. Scrub the bottom half, then get on the roof to do the top part I can't reach. Then I wash the roof while I am up there. When I am finished washing the whole rig, i tap lightly the awning so the water drops on the underside come off, then dry that side of the trailer. Leave the awning out. Needs to dry very good, as if you roll up wet and leave it for awhile you may get meldew on the awning. This seems to work best for me.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Spray the outside with a solution of oxiclean, very wet. Roll up, let set. We almost never have to do the underside.
Happy trails.........
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
i also do the cleaner on then roll up for awhile. then i only unroll it about 3' at a time. i wash a section and open it a little more. so i'm starting at the top and working to the bottom edge of the awning as i open it.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:33 PM   #9
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
I unroll it like swanny but use a magic sponge for tough stains, works great.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Good question. Good information. Thanks to all.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:11 PM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
IF you have mornings with a very heavy dew, First thing is to spray with any cleaner such as Simple Green, Greased Lightning (my choice), Dawn, whatever. Roll up the awning and let sit about an hour. Put it back down and most all the dirt will rinse off with little or no scrubbing.
I have used this method on many neighbor's awnings quite frequently and each time that neighbor is totally impressed on how clean their awning is.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:07 AM   #12
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
Thanks everybody ........looks like rolling up awning has it,after spraying with probubly awning cleaner from walmart, will try it soon as the weather get a little warmer

will try SWANNYS idea too, sounds like a good 1.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:51 AM   #13
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
Looks like I'll be changing my method to "spray n rollup". Anything to make it easier cleaning this beast (I mean that in a good way), gets my vote.
beakyfudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #14
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
I feel I must reply to those who might mix dish soap with chlorine bleach. Most liquid dish soap contain Ammonia, if you mix any chlorine bleach with ammonia it will cause a release of chlorine gas, most people do not know that this is also mustard gas.
The most dangerous thing the gas will do if inhaled will attack the lung tissue at a cellure level in weak doses you will not feel anything but the damage is already done, in stronger doses it will feel like a burn in your lungs. Please belive me if you get enough it can and will kill you.
It can also get very hot if the mixture strong enough and can eat through most plastics, I have seen the bottom fall out of 5 gal buckets.
I have lost more than one friend do to mixing ammonia and chlorine bleach and would not like to lose another.
Mel

Ammonia and Bleach Information Page

Never mix ammonia and bleach!

One of the most common hazards occurs when chlorine bleach is mixed with ammonia or acids. The combination of ammonia and bleach produces dangerous chlorine gas, which in small doses can cause irritation to the eyes, skin and respiratory tract. In large doses, it can kill. Chlorine gas, also known as mustard gas, was actually used in WWI & WWII.

One way this occurs is when people disinfect an area with bleach before cleaning. For example, you could use bleach to disinfect the sink area, then wash the dishes with an antibacterial dish soap which contains ammonia. If an area has been cleaned with other products, make sure the area is thoroughly rinsed with uncontaminated water before bleach is used.

For dozens of unique, eco-friendly laundry products and advice that can save you thousands of dollars, you can visit our home page at http://www.laundry-alternative.com
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:54 AM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Mel,

Thanks to you, I learned something today. You might have saved someone today, and it might have been me! I never thought about ammonia being in Dawn dish washing liquid. I read the label and it clearly states "Do not add bleach."

Thanks again.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:53 AM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I would add one caution to washing awning or roofs. Do not use any product that has a citrus base or scent in it.

It attracts the birds and they will peck at it thinking there is fruit beneath it.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #17
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Why not just use a pressure washer set on low pressure? I have not done this but it is how I was planning to do it.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:13 AM   #18
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
I tryed pressure washer, but not good till you scrub with brush.