Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #21
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I guess I got by without a compressor for 25 years, but when I added this 5th airborne hitch, I suddenly found it very difficult to find a service center that I could get into and fill this hitch with it hooked up to the truck.

Not like the old days when the gas stations had water and air by every pump (and a guy in a uniform with a red rag and a squeegie! hahahahaha) Not that I'm that old, I just used to be the guy with the red rag!

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #22
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Brad and Orv,

I guess when I think fulltimer, I think about not having a place to be able to drop it off, but rather having to carry it ALL the time.

If I need one, I'll park next to you guys.

Dennis, seems like you are on the right track to making the right decision.

Brad, I have not had any problems airing up the 5th Airborne with my Viair compressor.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #23
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Brad, I have not had any problems airing up the 5th Airborne with my Viair compressor.
Nope, I'm sure you haven't. Any compressor will do. I only had trouble when I didn't have ANY compressor. It was hard to get my lips tight around that shraeder valve while using my toungue to push in on the stem, and when I was able to do it, my lungs aren't good enought anymore to deliver much more than about 12psi.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #24
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Quote:

...........I only had trouble when I didn't have ANY compressor. It was hard to get my lips tight around that shraeder valve while using my toungue to push in on the stem, and when I was able to do it, my lungs aren't good enought anymore to deliver much more than about 12psi.
Simple solution, try a presta valve.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #25
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
hahahahahaha. I can see the fiver drop an inch or two as my chest explodes leaving a mess under the belly of the Montana!

I forgot to mention that I also use this little guy to winterize on the road. I regulate it down to 35psi and initially blow out the tank fill line and the hot water line before I bypass it, as well as the black tank flush line. Then I pump antifreeze. I don't think a tankless compressor will build enough CFM to adequatly blow out a line. Anyway, just another pro/con to think of.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:27 PM   #26
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
The Harbor Freight 120 PSI, 12 VDC will build the pressure but I am afraid of not opening a line fast enough and blowing a connection because it does not have the regulator. I used it in 07/08 to winterize three times.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have that big ole sears compressor and we use it a lot..at home..were it stays. I could not imagine hauling that things around in the 3400. We do have a 12V compressor that we carry in the camper mostly to inflate bike tires. It will get the camper tires up ok if not bit slow but we got the time.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:39 AM   #28
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Just ran out and looked at my Air compressor. Couldn't find a number on it but its sold by Sears. Its a 150 psi 1.5 gal tank, and its about 2.5' tall. I have G614's and it does a gret job and is very light. I just plug it up inside the basement and have a 25' extension line and don't take the compressor out of the basement. I have a 33 gal tank at home and it want air-up tires as fast as the small compressor. I have had this compressor for 4 years and it works great. Don't know if sears sell them now but I highly recomend them. I never move without making sure the Pressure is good in all tires. Plus I have Center Point Air suspension and a Trailair pin box on the 5er which has the need for air also. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:25 AM   #29
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Well, our little 12-volt Harbor Freight compressor went kaput. Was airing up the tires and on one tire, when the pressure got up to about 70 psi, it sounded like something blew inside the compressor. It didn't allow any air to escape from the tire but it refused to put air into the tire. I can't describe in words the sound that it made, but I knew that something bad happened.

These compressors only have a 90-day warranty and I don't believe that it's cost effective to repair them. So, I'll go to Harbor Freight here in Victorville, CA and pick up another one. Too handy not to have one available. I think the fact that mine failed is a fluke, not something that is necessarily going to happen to this type of compressor. Just wanted to pass this on in case you might have experienced the same thing.

The only disappointing thing is that I bought it on-line in March 2008 and had only aired up the four tires once, and one tire three times.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:58 AM   #30
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Orv,

Sorry to hear about your broken compressor. You might try taking it back to them, maybe they would warranty it. Harbor Freight tools are great, they offer us an inexpensive way of having more tools.

If you are thinking about another one, I have been very satisfied with this VIAR model.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #31
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I'm with Robbie and OZZ! I have the Harbor Freight 12 volt unit and it sits in the front basement next to the battery in it's box! It has enough cable on it that I can plug it into the Monte's battery and reach the tires OR I can pull the TV up to either side, if convenient, and connect it to one of the batteries on it! It worked great down at the storage area to air up the Montes tires and I even use it to air up basketballs, intertubes and whatever! Don't remember the name but it is probably the same one Robbie and OZZ have since that's where I got the idea ( at least it looks just like the one Robbie posted)! Don't worry about the time it takes since I'm retired and I haven't got a whole lot to do exept "honey do jobs" anyaway! IF you believe that, I've got some really cheap beach front property here in Nebraska for you!!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #32
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:

Orv,

Sorry to hear about your broken compressor. You might try taking it back to them, maybe they would warranty it. Harbor Freight tools are great, they offer us an inexpensive way of having more tools.

If you are thinking about another one, I have been very satisfied with this VIAR model.
Have already contacted them. "So sorry that it failed but it only has a 90-day warranty." I'm going into the Harbor Freight store here in Victorville, CA next week and talk directly to them to see what they have to say face-to-face. The quoted answer is what I received from them via e-mail.

Orv
Old 04-11-2009, 03:51 AM   #33
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Orv,

I too had exactly the same problem with mine and had used it infrequently. Since it was beyond the 90 day warranty I decided to pull the head and see if repair was possible. What I found was a disintegrated valve assembly (flapper type) that is probably not repairable, so I decided to forgo looking for repair parts - probably cheaper to buy a new unit.

While the price was right (got mine on sale for $39), I probably got what I paid for and nothing more. Suspect there is a reason Harbor only offers 90 day warranties......
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #34
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MikeM

Orv,

I too had exactly the same problem with mine and had used it infrequently. Since it was beyond the 90 day warranty I decided to pull the head and see if repair was possible. What I found was a disintegrated valve assembly (flapper type) that is probably not repairable, so I decided to forgo looking for repair parts - probably cheaper to buy a new unit.

While the price was right (got mine on sale for $39), I probably got what I paid for and nothing more. Suspect there is a reason Harbor only offers 90 day warranties......
Mike,
You may be right. I think you've seen me post my favorite saying, "You get what you pay for." I don't think I'll get another one unless they REALLYI go on sale. Someone said that Sears has one that's pretty good, but I haven't seen it.

I do have the ac one that I purchased from Wal*Mart 5 years ago that works but you have to hold the air hose on the tire and it is sloooooww. Gets tiresome waiting to get to 80 psi. But it gets there. I have to put air in until the pressure drops, then I let it build back up and go again. I repeat this until I get to the magic number of 80.

Orv