Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2009, 06:56 AM   #1
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
Landing gear breaker

Moved out Montana to Camping World to get a new washer/dryer installed. I blew the 30 amp breaker for the landing gear. I remembered an MOC post or two about where it was and what type. A quick search and the problem was solved. This was the first time for this breaker to blow for me.

One suggestion was to put some gear oil on top of something. Does any body know where this should go? Thanks,

lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Think it was top of the legs, inside the propane compartments. John Kohl is the master/guru on this. Also think some folks found that if the wheels were not securely chocked before deploying landing gear, the rig could shift after the legs are extended, causing the legs to bind and blow fuses. Just what I've learned.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
There is a fuse on the wires leading from the batteries to the landing gear motor it is inline and it is about 40 amp.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:11 AM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hookman

There is a fuse on the wires leading from the batteries to the landing gear motor it is inline and it is about 40 amp.
For some reason, known only to Keystone, some are 30 amp and some are 40 amp.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:34 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hookman

For some reason, known only to Keystone, some are 30 amp and some are 40 amp.
Old world craftsmanship!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:51 AM   #6
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I bought a 30 amp circuit breaker that plugs into the fuse holder. Worth thinking about.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
biznsa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8999
The fuse could also blow if the landing gear jacks are extended too far. Mine has a 30A Mini in the compartment with the hydraulic pump and battery.
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
My new 3000rk blew fuses (30amp) and they replaced the motor as it was drawing too many amps. Also if you reverse the motor while it is operating (up and down) it will blow. Lifting up the back of the truck )even a little bit) it will blow. Running too long it can blow. The breaker is a good solution.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:02 AM   #9
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
on my 3650 I have had to replace the fuse twice, I replaced the fuse with a breaker from Auto Zone and had no more problems. It is worth thinking about Chuck
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:27 AM   #10
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ChuckD

on my 3650 I have had to replace the fuse twice, I replaced the fuse with a breaker from Auto Zone and had no more problems. It is worth thinking about Chuck
I've done the same. I also take a few seconds break,every few seconds as I am retracting the gear. No problem since.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #11
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
Thanks folks! The next breaker problem is the 50 amp autoreset breaker for the slides. I'm getting tired of the hesitation. Illapah where did you get the 30 amp breaker that plugs into the existing plug?
Lcarter
lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:55 AM   #12
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
lcarter,

We have a binding leg and found that putting a tablespoon full of gear oil at the top of the landing gear really helped the struggling motor.

There is a real thin metal cap on the top of the landing gear in the LP tank storage compartment. Just squirt a little on top and replace the cover.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:28 AM   #13
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We had our landing gear fuse blow on the first outing. Didn't know where the seperate fuse was and that there even was one but thanks to the kind folks here on MOC found out about the fuse, located it after some searching and replaced it. Haven't had the problem again. However, I like the breaker solution. It would have been a little more professional if Montana had at least documented that there was a separate fuse for the landing gear and where it was located. We also had the slide circuit breaker trip several times and had the breaker replaced and haven't had that problem re-occur either. I'm still very troubled by the recommended Montana solution of putting two of the original breakers in parallel. That does not compute from an engineering point of view. Either the fuse was terribly under rated to begin with or the breakers are very unreliable but I question what could happen if both breakers are good. Don't know the gauge of the wire but something is fishy with that recommended solution.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote