Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
GFCI plug failure

The GFCI plug failed in my Monty. It was located at the lavatory and controls juice to the curb side outside plug and the curb side inside plug by the chest-of-drawers. The plug was tripped and would not reset, so I had to replace it. It was a 20 minute, $20.00 fix so I didn't take it to the dealer.

I would like to know how common this kind of failure is? I bought the unit in September. Seems a little quick to have a failure. But what do I know about electronics?

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:25 PM   #2
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Stiles, with electronics age doesn't matter. They may last forever or just a day. While I was working, we tested electronic components for the aerospace industry and they could fail in many mysteroius ways. Rarely knew why, just had to fail the lot that had failures and buy the ones that didn't. Glad you were able to find and fix easily. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:38 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I don't think there really is a wear factor on GFI equipment, just fail mode. This electrical equipment is not the top of the line either.

It's good the new plug worked for you, as most GFI receptacles get replaced because they are doing thier intended job and there is a fault somewhere.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Stiles--sorry to hear about your problem--glad the fix was easy.

My GFCI outlet next to the kitchen counter popped last weekend and wouldn't reset. The following day, I took apart an outlet that I had added to that circuit (I added the new outlet at floor level on the kitchen island by tapping off the central vacuum outlet, which for some puzzling reason is on the same circuit as that GFCI). Didn't see anything wrong with the outlet I added (no sign of any loose wires or any burn marks), but when I finished, the GFCI would reset, and everything is now working fine. No idea what the problem was, but I will ask the dealer to look at it when I take our Big Sky in next week for other work.

Since the GFCI acted up once like this, should I push to have the dealer replace it since I'm still in the one-year warranty period?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:09 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I found out a long time ago that "those thar electo-onic thing-a-ma-jigs," are shipped with smoke packed inside. If the smoke escapes, you need to find a way to re-stick it in the contraption or replace it.

Thanks for the lesson learned! I think I'll stick a new one in the parts box for that just in case day.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
We purchased our 2008 3400 in October. By early Novemeber the GFI in the kitchen did not work and could not be reset. The dealer replaced it and commented that some of the new gfi they get are faulty.

For an electrician:are there not low, medium and high quality even on gfi plugs when purchasing one? or not?

tks Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
So far, since June of 2003, we have only had one go bad, and when it went it made the worst nasty loud snarly noise! YIKES!!

Al went out to a local store, we were in Arlington Texas at the time, I think it was a Sunday. He purchased a new unit, installed and it has not acted up since.

That was the one in the kitchen area, no trouble with the one in bathroom.

They are probably making these over seas now, like so many products we buy and use. Is the quality there, not sure, scares ya a bit when you think toys and all the stories from this lead in the paint stuff, doesn't it??

Great question, Dennis, I'll have to ask Al that one when I get a chance.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:54 AM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I think the correct terminology for the cause of failure is "gremlins".
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #9
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Mine in the living-kitchen area made a loud noise that even made Wilson bark at it. Called my dealer and was told to replace it if I felt OK doing it. Replaced it and had no more problems. Keystone warranted it. Stiles,I would call the dealer about reimbursement for the part. Let us know.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #10
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I would suspect these receptacles are made in China. I ordered several for the stick home; I should have known the price was too good to be true. You guessed it, "made in China". Got an email from the same supplier yesterday; commercial grade GFCI $3.99. No more for me!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:31 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yes, Dennis. Look at the outlets (Duplex Receptacles) in Home Despot, you can spend under $2.00, up to $14.00 or so for them, same way with GFCI's. Which one does a guy figure the RV industry buys?? Hmmmm.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:32 PM   #12
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Oz..

I did browse Home Despot and Lowe's recently and noticed price differences in GFCI's and also watched the dealer use 3 GFCI's before it worked. Not a bad quality indicator or is it!!!
All I have left to "fix" on my new 3400 is the Apollo microwave. If I'm lucky that too was made in China!! Dennis...I love their food though.heheh.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:10 PM   #13
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Yes the Apollo is Chinese junk. Check my post about the famous Apollo microwave.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote