Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #1
Tail Lights
Established Member

M.O.C. #6239
video projector to replace TV?

We have an old 23 inch tube TV in our Montana which we use to watch movies at night. I was looking to upgrade to a larger flat-screen TV, but don't see an easy way to install one that would be secure for such a fragile piece of equipment.

Seems that a projector might work better. Not nearly as fragile, need to hang a screen, plus I could run movies from my tablet.

Does anyone have experience with using a video projector in lieu of a traditional TV?

Tail Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
No experience with projectors. Thought they were for really large screens.

But a number of us have replaced our old TVs with larger LED/LCD flat screen TVs using various wall mounts with no problem.

Here is a recent discussion about it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:05 AM   #3
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
How was your old TV mounted? Maybe you can use that, as well as the link provided by BB TX as a guide.

The new LED/LCD TVs are actually less fragile than the old CRT types, and MUCH lighter. Several things to consider if you want to use a projector - 1)the projector will have to be directly in front of the screen to have an acceptable image without keystone. This will probably put it right in your living space. 2)Ambient light will be a problem if you want to watch it in the daytime. 3) The contrast ratio (ratio of black-to-white) is much better in an LED/LCD TV. This directly relates to picture quality. 4) The cost of a comparable size LED/LCD TV is less than a decent video projector and screen.

By the way, most LED or LCD TVs have HDMI or VGA computer inputs now. Check that when you are shopping.
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:58 PM   #4
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Projectors work, for sure, if you get a good enough one. I mean lets face it: Theaters use projectors to show movies. It has to be bright enough (Lumens of output) and have the resolution you need. They have no tuner in them so watching broadcast TV is out. They can be a bit distracting depending on the fan noise they produce to keep the lamp cool. Finding the perfect place to put one can be a problem if you aren't willing to mount it to the ceiling.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:31 AM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
The problem with projectors used to be the cost of bulbs. I would think it would be much simpler to add an LED TV mount where the TV was. Best Buy carries a wide variety, or Amazon, Camping World, etc. IMHO.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote