Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Installed a New Refrigerator Gadget

I put this ARP Version 2.1 Refrigerator Control unit on a guy's fiver yesterday ... it turned out so slick an install, I think it's Montana worthy. Whether it does what is claimed for the guy ... only time will tell, but at @$135.00 I don't think anyone can go wrong as far as preventive measures go. This unit basically senses the temp in the fridge boiler and temporarily shuts off 110VAC or gas when your unit is out of level enough to trigger a significant rise from normal operating temperature. It waits till a cool down occurs, then brings back 110VAC or gas. If your fiver is consistently out of level enough to make the boiler temp too hot ... over time it will degrade the water, ammonia, and sodium chromate mix in the system and possibly restrict flow in the system. This causes reduced cooling or eventually no cooling at all.
It took about an hour and a half in install, but is not too challenging. The model I put on has an integrated cooling fan control as well that does way better than the stock "clicker" switch that controls our fans. I don't have any affiliation with the ARP company, but they currently are about the only game in town as far as what it does.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:29 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Very interesting. If possible keep us informed if he finds any problems from the unit.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
When our cooling unit failed a second time in June, the first time due to a plugged system, the second time due to a leak, I purchased the same ARP device with an add-on fan. Prior to the techs installing the new cooling unit, I installed the boiler temperature sensor. After the fridge was installed back in the rig, I installed the control device and extra fan. I left the original double fans to be controlled by the Norcold system, and have the new fan controlled by the ARP device. I have to say, the fridge is working much better than it ever did, even since it was new. Occasionally, I see the green light on the door out, and the unit is shut down to cool, then, less than 30 minutes later, it is back working again. The freezer is keeping ice cream solid, and the beer and sodas are very cold, all with the temp setting at '5'. I would recommend this device without reservation. I also have no interest in this company that makes them.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #4
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Please educate me. Why would a unit be out of level that bad for long enough to need this?

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:22 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You must not visit the same campgrounds I do ... oh wait I already knew that ... I see sooo many people that just pull in and unhook as she sits. How about the times you lite off the fridge before a trip while it sits really unleveled in your driveway? Say you stay all night in Wally World's parking lot still hooked up to the truck on the sloping end of the parking lot ... granted it's just over night, but the overheated boiler tube starts making little sodium chromate crystals inside your fridge piping which can't be undone and leads to a blockage down the road. Alternately, the over heated cooling tubes expanding and contracting when the fridge cycles weaken and eventually crack causing the mixture to leak out (yellow stains and ammonia smell)... over an extended ownership of doing this ... it doesn't happen overnight ... your unit starts not cooling as well or just fails altogether. I work on RV's on the side from time to time ... there are bunches of people that have fridge failures or poor performance and a good percentage of the time it is caused by running them off level over and over again. Damned this is beginning to sound like a commercial ... but you did ask.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:04 AM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Thanks for the education. Being a fulltimer I didn't realize so many people do those types of things. Unless we are actively moving, we are level. I guess I don't need this item. Our reefer hasn't been off in 4 years and so far hasn't missed a beat. Knock on wood!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:26 AM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Yeah ... this won't be of need for some, but I figured it would be good reading material for others. Fulltiming and recreational RVing are sometimes two different worlds. One of my favorites is RV's nose high at campgrounds and the general answer to why is "it makes the A/C drain better" ?????????????? I'd guess they have velcro straps to hold them in bed at night. Ha!
Old 10-06-2015, 05:35 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We had one of the units on the Silent Auction table at the Fall Rally and I had the privilege of making the high bid on it and now I have to figure out how to install it properly. Any suggestions Dieselguy?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #9
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
How many people tow with the refrigerator on gas. Drive for 4-5 hours before you get it to a level camp site. My question is, Is this bad for the refrigerator ? Should we drive with the refrigerator in the off position? I always shut it off when fueling up the truck? Thanks for the information.
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:51 AM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Jimmer ... many of us tow with the fridge on. It doesn't hurt the fridge as during your trek down the highway you're always turning, going up going down, changing lanes, starting, stopping. This movement keeps the fridge solution flowing as needed.

Rondo ... it's pretty straight forward. The hardest part is attaching the sensor to the boiler tube. You have to remove the door on the flue housing and part the insulation to get to the tube itself. I cut a long slit in the insulation with a sharp knife and just parted it instead of grabbing it with a pair of pliers and pulling it out ... works way better. Go to their website and watch the videos and photos of installation for your particular unit. http://www.arprv.com/
Old 10-07-2015, 03:07 AM   #11
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Certainly would have preferred to had spent $135 for this gadget in lieu of 10 times that for the new residential but now that we have the new frig we love it.

Thsee devices should be standard install on all new rigs!
Old 10-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #12
rickbecker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13543
I listened to the ARP owners sales pitch at the Good Sam Rally in Phoenix last spring - convinced me on the merits of safety and improved frig performance. He actually did an install for me out in the parking lot. I noticed an immediate improvement in ice cream - recommend the product.
rickbecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 02:36 PM   #13
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
As stated, leveling of the frig is not an issue when moving, and according to our service dept is good for the frig,
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:57 AM   #14
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
The unit that Rondo won at the Rally was discussed in the Tips & Tricks session with several favorable comments. We don't know a what point "out of level" becomes an issue, but we have been in campgrounds where soft ground has knocked us out of level over our stay. We also had an issue that Keystone corrected where our Auto Level would not hold the level position. We intend to get one of these, just in case.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote