Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Leather covered dash delamination

While not directly related to my 5th wheel tow vehicle but rather my Jeep Grand Cherokee I wanted to post a quick warning to folks to keep an eye on their leather covered dash. My 3 year old top of the line Grand Cherokee Overland is having a severe delimitation issue with the leather dash. Almost half the leather on the dash is now separated from the actual dash structure. Rumor has it Jeep will not cover the issue under extended warranty and my standard warranty has long since expired due to mileage. The average repair price is just under $3k and the forums are littered with people having the same issue. I'm not sure if we'll dump the Jeep or what. I'll get her in the shop and hope the dealer can work some magic with corporate to cover most of the tab. There have been a few lucky consumers that were able to get out spending 5 or 6 hundred dollars. Still far too much for something that should last a decade.

When I was shopping for my new tow vehicle I did seriously consider the Ram with it's wrapped leather dash since I liked it so much on my Jeep. My suggestion to everyone with such a dash is to keep a very close eye on it and get it in for repair with the first bubble if still under warranty. My hope is Ram used a different glue and material than Jeep but since they are both under Chrysler who knows.

If it matters, my Jeep was garage stored for more than half its life. So in reality the dash gave up in roughly 16 months. Ridiculous..

davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I have a 2014 SRT Jeep and sold A 2011 GC Overland! Even in Reddings 115 heat, no problems. I would talk to my dealer and or go over their head. Our Jeeps have been bullet proof and leather dash have never faded! I don't use windshifld protectors ! 3k repair seems rediculas at best. I know you could find one somewhere cheaper. Also did it wait till Warranty expired to begin delam? Was some indication present before 3 years?
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:53 PM   #3
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
As a back up plan, talk to an auto upholstery shop in your area. See if area dealers will reveal where they send cars for warranty repairs to upholstery. They will have the best information available and can best advise you on an economical fix.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote