Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2015, 04:47 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Question on the Dometic 210 toilet

Have you folks had trouble with flooding issues with the 210?
I haven't kept up with problems on it.
I replaced the seal after about 6 years, no other problems on it for me.
(Slideshow on repairs)

Thanks.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have the Dometic Sealand model 210 and just replaced the seal (9 years of rare usage and now fulltiming within the past 10 months). Never had flooding problems and it's nice that with the new seal repair, it now holds water and eliminates the black tank stink coming up. Unfortunately, I disagree with the current design for this gravity dump toilet using a valve/seal rubbing motion so that the occasional replacement is required and this is not the most economical way of doing things. I think that a swing down flap design that minimized wear would have been better. For now, I'll replace the $25 seal periodically rather than completely replace the toilet which would cost hundreds.

The flooding could only be caused by the seal not being seated correctly (like when I first replaced it, oops), or the seal worn in such a way to cause leakage or the pedal or bowl water hose is leaking or not shutting off. I've read a couple of posts in the past whereby even when not in use the water continue to fill causing flooding, but not with this model.

Have you seen issues with your unit recently?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks for the info. My Monte has been dormant for a year.. over a year now, I just ordered a shaft assembly and the new seals as I want to start my travels with new seals and parts. 8 months to go....
I think the design maybe could be better, but isn't that the case with most everything? I had no problems for 6 years, that ain't bad is it? The toilet puts up with a lot of crap if you know what I mean...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:55 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It was explained to me, there are two kits considered as regularly maintainable on the model 210. The rest only needs servicing when and if they break (so far so good). The seal kit is one which is what you and I just did and the ball/shaft flapper kit. While it does not actually flap, it has been known to wear down as it rubs against the seal. Fortunately, I only did the seal kit and a very good cleaning of the sliding valve and it's working very well now. The valve part may not need replacing as long as the seal keeps wearing out first. I would not be looking forward to replacing that valve kit.

Yup, it's a crappy job but someone's gotta do it (and DW made me do it).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
After a lot of research we'll be changing to the Dometic. The problems with the Tetfords are many and well documented. Better to have one that when you put the new parts in it actually fixes the problem. You can guess how I know.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:22 AM   #6
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
I'm replacing my Thetford before I have a problem. I ordered the Domectic 320 yesterday. I should have it in a few days hopefully...